How to Land Properly with strong Crosswind?

Terzi

Hello,

I can't land this bird properly when there is 12m/s or more crosswind.

Everytime after touchdown it rolls and wingtip hits the ground when I try to keep it on the runway. Any hints? Deploying chute results even worse... I couldn't see any helpful video on Youtube too. Helps appriciated.

Here I attach my landing mission. Land to Nellis 030 with 12m/s wind direction 330.

su-27.miz

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

Yes this has helped a lot. I was trying both methods but I was not applying full ailerons towards the wind. When I was aligning the jet it was drifting and as soon as apply rudder it rolled and crashed. Now after 3-4 tries I made it safely.

Applying ailerons is necessary but very dangerous. Apply too soon or too much; you will roll other way. Correct perception and action depends on effectiveness of flight controls as you mentioned. Deciding "how much" and "when" is really a big challenge.

Also vertical speed is very important. When it is greater than 1m/s one wheel will jump and lead to uncontrolled flight. Because it always lands on a single wheel first.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

Just a little word;A question.

Whitch is the crosswind limitation to a SU 27?

I want to say full through 90°

Even 60° could be equivalent

12 m/s is a huge wind force,is 24 knots/h or 43 kms/h about

I'm not sure that cross wind speed is agreedable with this kind of aircraft

You know their tires and landing gear have to resist to a multiples forces

and therefore the plane comes with a flight manual that tells you the speed beyond which you risk the accident, whether it's the landing speed and acceptable wind speed.

I think that a re-reading of the manual SU27, if it is available somewhere, is essential before going any further

In general with a big cross wind you have to increase you landing speed to help to maintain the straight line,but if you come too close of the speed limit beyond whitch your tires might be explode and your landing gear be broken,when hit the ground on landing.You might be taken in a crash.Thus limits of flight manual are not only done to tell stories to childs before they go to sleep

Edited by cromhunt

I don't fly the Su-27 any more but I'm sure the concepts apply to all fixed wing aircraft, except the Harrier, of course.

It's this kind of flying I want to do. Thanks for the pointers, bbrz.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Just a little word;A question.

Whitch is the crosswind limitation to a SU 27?

For the SU-27SK, is 15m/s but not sure how it related to our version.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

In private pilot training, you're taught two ways to handle crosswinds (provided the crosswind component doesn't exceed the guidelines in the POH)

1) Crab & Kick .. Point your nose toward the wind to where you negate any sideways drift and at touchdown, you "kick" the nose straight, apply opposite aeleron and land getting rubber on pavement as quickly as possible.

2) Side Slip .. Bank into the wind and use opposite rudder to keep your aircraft aligned with the runway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

• 5 weeks later...

Before attempting to take off and land with any aircraft, we must consult the operational minima of the aircraft in question: There are no general rules, except those of the wing in the wind and increasing the approach speed.

And of course the skill of the pilot to put all this together to avoid wallowing lamentably.

Then, a fighter plane can not be compared with an airliner. Even if the tonnage is close, the wing surfaces and their loads are not

the same. The specifications are not the same, and for the same situation, nothing says that the piloting will be equivalent.

The weight / thrust ratio of an airbus is rarely equal to 1(never in fact)

While modern fighter planes often approach and even overtake it.

Edited by cromhunt

Ok we want a little discussion. It's quite simple yet to understand:

even with a wing load and a tonnage equivalent the actions in piloting are not the same. And at this moment the ratio weight power is preponderant.

This report indicates what reaction time can be counted to get out of trouble, and determines which trajectory and parameters we will choose to put the pile of iron without breaking it.

The theory is very nice, but it is the choice of the driver that ensures success. And certainly not the thousands of references more or less verified that come out of the imagination, sometimes.

The flight manual is there to teach us the limitations of the aircraft that we have between the hands.Training and type rating teaches us to use it. Once qualified on the type of aircraft considered we do not do leave the manual untimely with each difficulty encountered.

It is the correct assimilation of this information and the ability to interpret it that makes the quality of the piloting.

Between a modern fighter and an airliner the reaction time on a go-around, for example, will not be the same. So the presentation in the final will be different. Indeed, to govern is to predict, and the weight to the Crosswind landing is very consequent.

Knowing if I can do it in a fraction of a second, instead of a second or two, in case of difficulty, will make the difference between a successful gas remix and a crash.

Also:

http://cromhunt.proboards.com/thread/295/crosswind

Looking at the landings of these airliners you ask what is the surface they offer to the wind, compared to the surface of an F15 or SU27.If you know what a lever arm, requests what is the effect of the wind on wings as long and empennages as large.

I say that amicably and I will not say more

good luck with the books

Edited by cromhunt

• 2 weeks later...

You're right I did not fly liner or modern fighter, But I have some experience in real piloting on other devices that allows me to make an estimate.

http://cromhunt.proboards.com/thread/160/real-flight

Can you do the same once the head out of your books and wikipedia? Apparently you know only repeat what you have read conscientiously as a bible, without being able to verify it concretely. When your ability to answer the forums it seems to come from a very long practice.But the rhetoric has its limits.

So I'm going to leave it there, and I invite you to tell us about your experience in real flight, proof to support, before continuing this conversation.

Otherwise I do not see the need to respond to someone who settles in front of his computer with a book from which he extracts all this knowledge.