Sukhoi Su-27 Overview

Gierasimov

Just thought of sharing this with the community. Apologies if posted already, I was unable to find it.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/russias-f-15-killer-why-america-the-world-fears-the-su-27-17082

Russia's F-15 Killer: Why America (and the World) Fears the Su-27 Flanker

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I thought I'd read an valid explaining, instead a SU-27 history.

• Like 1

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Can't find a single example of an SU-27 killing an F-15 anywhere on the net...

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Looks like I shared wrong link, I am sorry. Both articles were titled the same. Anyway, there is a story told by Su-27 driver who said that he managed to get behind F-15 for a kill and that was confirmed by F-15 who got "killed". That was apparently when Russian Air Force visited US for the training exercise.

Initially F-15 could not get into the position so they changed the rules. Exercise would start when Eagle was on 27's six. All he had to do was keep up and get into kill range, but Su managed to shake off Eagle and maneuvered into its six for a kill shot.

That is story told by Russian pilot though...

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Find out F-15 users and Su-27 users...

Can't find a single example of an SU-27 killing an F-15 anywhere on the net...

...and you will know why your statement is correct. This would mean serious conflict if you start mixing them into combat...something closer to WW III

From my understanding, to say "Eagle's killer" you need at least a kill for the Su-27, which never happened in the past. Not even close.. Eagle wasn't ever shot down. That's just clickbait.

Russian propaganda. It is known that people advertise their equipment in such words because it seems nobody believes.

Armata tank, Pak-FA ect in internet is supposedly the best but we all see reality.

Tank got broken on parade lol, PAK-FA is slight disaster after India saying goodbye to the project.

So only good articles left to be written :D

• Like 2

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

the t-34 also had a lot of technical issues but that didn't stop it from being a solid tank.

conversely, flanker having great aerodynamics doesn't automatically make it some kind of aerial silver bullet. the scope of aerial warfare is far bigger than any aircraft.

if you want to talk about training engagements, even india's "lowly" mig-21 has given f-15's the jump. in that case, the bisons were flown by their experienced pilots while the us tossed in new pilots so they could gain experience.

that is not news, that is what training is for.

• Like 1

Russian propaganda. It is known that people advertise their equipment in such words because it seems nobody believes.

Armata tank, Pak-FA ect in internet is supposedly the best but we all see reality.

Tank got broken on parade lol, PAK-FA is slight disaster after India saying goodbye to the project.

So only good articles left to be written :D

ah that propaganda machine... how easy it is to notice it on the "enemy" side but not on yours :music_whistling:

• Like 3

No longer active in DCS...

F-15's did get shot down.

F-15E-46-MC, 88‑1689, c/n 1098/E073, of the 336th FS, 4th TFW, USAF, was shot down by anti-aircraft artillery on the first day of operation Desert Storm

F-15E-46-MC, 88‑1692, c/n 1101/E076, of the 336th FS, 4th TFW, USAF, was shot down by a Soviet made SA-2E missile during Operation Desert Storm. Both crew members ejected and were POWs.

But NONE were ever shot down in air-to-air combat.

Check my F-15C guide

F-15's did get shot down.

F-15E-46-MC, 88‑1689, c/n 1098/E073, of the 336th FS, 4th TFW, USAF, was shot down by anti-aircraft artillery on the first day of operation Desert Storm

F-15E-46-MC, 88‑1692, c/n 1101/E076, of the 336th FS, 4th TFW, USAF, was shot down by a Soviet made SA-2E missile during Operation Desert Storm. Both crew members ejected and were POWs.

But NONE were ever shot down in air-to-air combat.

and was Su-27 ever shot down in air-air combat?

No longer active in DCS...

So why not change the link so we can read the story for ourselves?

For what it's worth... given a within-visual-range fight, 1 on 1 I don't thing anyone ever questions the maneuverability of the Flanker. Though we also know such a case would be highly isolated from a lot of other factors.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Even better, I have found the source of the article - documentary about Su-27

1:02:05 is where the story begins.

The fact that the Su-27 is more maneuverable than the F-15 at low speeds is well known, however that doesn't make the Su-27 a better fighter let alone a F-15 "killer". Infact I think the most likely outcome in a bat between the two would be the Su-27 being shot down before it could ever get it's better low speed handling to matter.

In an old fashioned guns only fight my money is on the Su-27 though ofcourse.

From my understanding, to say "Eagle's killer" you need at least a kill for the Su-27, which never happened in the past. Not even close.. Eagle wasn't ever shot down.

... except by another F-15. Both training accidents with sidewinders with MASTER ARM switch ON instead of SIM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

... except by another F-15. Both training accidents with sidewinders with MASTER ARM switch ON instead of SIM.

It was an F-15J, right?

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]