Landing /ILS theory

TylerTheHottie

So I am in my 2nd month of dcs a10c, very great game. All i have been doing are training missions. Mostly because Im not yet comfortable yet with going on actual missions. One such area of unease for me is the landing aspect of this simulator. Ive read what the manual has to offer and I have done the training mission as well but i just dont think that it is explained well enough, at least not in the detail that I would like . Hoping one of you veterans out there can shed some light.

Question/questions: When I start my CDU divert to access the desired airport that I want Im confused at the part after I receive my radio bearing. For one, just to be clear when the ATC says heading "34" what number is that? is that 340? Or is that actually 34? Ill often find myself in headings contrary to what I would want because Ive either literally taken the numbers as they are or Ive translated them into what I thought.

2nd question: When I somehow do receive the correct heading im often left puzzeled as to when Im supposed to turn in. the heading that the ATC gives me is not exactly the same as the straight shot heading that I receive after the cdu divert waypoint. Am I supposed to use the HSI and align myself when the hsi indicators match up???? Am i being too technical about this or is it more apt to say...base my navigation upon a visual once i get to the airbase?

Hey Tyler,

The ATC says two things: your heading you should take to get to the airport and the runway number. The first one is always with 3 digits, the second one is with two (runway 07 means 070, 15 means 150 etc.)

As for turning in, what I would advise you to do is as follows:

1) When you get the heading and distance from the ATC, turn your Hog towards the heading given by the ATC. Create an overhead mark point and set it as your steer point. Then monitor the distance from the mark point.

2) Set up TACAN for the airport you are aiming at and activate it. The thin needle (think it is no1) will give you the direction and distance to the airport.

3) Turn your course indicator knob (the one on the right side of the HSI, hope I remember the names right) to the runway number (usually works best if you deduct a magnetic variation from it, which usually is 6, but you also can find airfield schematics with the actual bearings). So if you land in Kobuleti and ATC tells you to go to runway 7, turn the knob to 064. That way you will see when you approach the runway and how it is placed in relation to your Hog.

4) Once you are close to the distance given by the ATC in the beginning, start your turn. Also, monitor the HSI, if all is well set you should have the TACAN and course indicator aligned and you should be around 5-7 miles out of the runway. From that moment it is just a normal landing.

Also, check

by Gerry Abbott. Actually, I'd advise you to watch all his videos, very, very informative.

Hope that helps!

Edited by baltic_dragon
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Hey Tyler,

The ATC says two things: your heading you should take to get to the airport and the runway number. The first one is always with 3 digits, the second one is with two (runway 07 means 070, 15 means 150 etc.)

1) When you get the heading and distance from the ATC, turn your Hog towards the heading given by the ATC. Create an overhead mark point and set it as your steer point. Then monitor the distance from the mark point.

2) Set up TACAN for the airport you are aiming at and activate it. The thin needle (think it is no1) will give you the direction and distance to the airport.

3) Turn your course indicator knob (the one on the right side of the HSI, hope I remember the names right) to the runway number (usually works best if you deduct a magnetic variation from it, which usually is 6, but you also can find airfield schematics with the actual bearings). So if you land in Kobuleti and ATC tells you to go to runway 7, turn the knob to 064. That way you will see when you approach the runway and how it is placed in relation to your Hog.

4) Once you are close to the distance given by the ATC in the beginning, start your turn. Also, monitor the HSI, if all is well set you should have the TACAN and course indicator aligned and you should be around 5-7 miles out of the runway. From that moment it is just a normal landing.

Also, check

by Gerry Abbott. Actually, I'd advise you to watch all his videos, very, very informative.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the help! Im still a little confused. You are saying TACAN and the way you are describing it makes it sound like you might be thinking of ILS? Or am I mistaken? I understand that there are 3 seperate approaches to landing that being Radar, Tacan, and ILS? or are they all the same process just different stages?

Thank you for the help! Im still a little confused. You are saying TACAN and the way you are describing it makes it sound like you might be thinking of ILS? Or am I mistaken? I understand that there are 3 seperate approaches to landing that being Radar, Tacan, and ILS? or are they all the same process just different stages?

I believe that in DCS, ATC can give you visual or ILS approach. Normally, ATC should vector you to be able to intercept ILS. You don't need TACAN other than for orientation.

IRL there are a lot of different approaches including ILS, LOC, VOR(TACAN), VOR/DME, NDB/NDB, GNSS, WAAS(EGNOS), visual... most of apps you can try in DCS too, but it will not be assigned by ATC.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

I believe that in DCS, ATC can give you visual or ILS approach. Normally, ATC should vector you to be able to intercept ILS. You don't need TACAN other than for orientation.

IRL there are a lot of different approaches including ILS, LOC, VOR(TACAN), VOR/DME, NDB/NDB, GNSS, WAAS(EGNOS), visual... most of apps you can try in DCS too, but it will not be assigned by ATC.

So as far as TACAN is concerned, when I pick my divert point from the cdu, should I set my navigation as TACN from there on out or will that mess Up my current egi wapoints which the divert waypoint of the airbase is already on? Or are they both the same or doesn't matter if I set TACN?

Hey Tyler,

Also, check

Hope that helps!

The result of runway 7 turning into 064 is a direct result of the magnetic reading and accounting for the minus 6 right?

Here you have an IFR (ILS) chart for batumi and step by step instructions and mission for the A-10C:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=101213

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.