Su-27SM, Is it possible for DCS?

EvMstein

As the title said, having a Su-27SM would be extremely excited and it will be a game-changer.

Because from what I've heard, most of the system and flight characteristics still being locked up since it was highly classified by the Russian government and Air Force.

BTW, if the high fidelity of the modern version is very difficult to make, then what about the arcade? just like one of the FC3 that ED could sell separately as the Su-27SM module.

Is it possible?

• Like 1

Nope, it wont be a game changer.

Thats an interesting statement given a new, much more modern RWR, a more modern radar and tons of guided AG weapons, making the plane a significant multirole threat, especially against SAMs and Ships. In the case of Su-27SM3 a significantly improved active missile, the R-77-1.

FM is there, the air to ground logic is already there with Su-25T, and you can mod a lot of the weapons onto the Su-27S in DCS. Radar - increase range and decrease notching filter a bit, maybe improve TWS to what the DCS eagle can do. MFD pages - dont need to model them, just do it like with DCS F-15C.

I dont see the problems with modelling it in MAC/FC3 standard. Enough people just need to ask, so ED realizes that its not only important for the sim environment, but also economically viable.

• Like 3

a new, much more modern RWR, a more modern radar and tons of guided AG weapons, making the plane a significant multirole threat, especially against SAMs and Ships. In the case of Su-27SM3 a significantly improved active missile, the R-77-1.

Well thats all very nice but it woudn't make is a gamechanger. A gamechanger is for me something completly new what never had been saw befor like JF-17 with their SD-10 (befor it got nerfed) AGK-802 MITL cruise missile and a RWR that can actually range threats.

I would love to see all that stuff in my 27, realy. But other planes have all these futures and so its not a gamechanger (for me at least). But its would be very nice to have it, I cannot contradict that :smilewink:.

My skins

Thats an interesting statement given a new, much more modern RWR, a more modern radar and tons of guided AG weapons, making the plane a significant multirole threat, especially against SAMs and Ships. In the case of Su-27SM3 a significantly improved active missile, the R-77-1.

FM is there, the air to ground logic is already there with Su-25T, and you can mod a lot of the weapons onto the Su-27S in DCS. Radar - increase range and decrease notching filter a bit, maybe improve TWS to what the DCS eagle can do. MFD pages - dont need to model them, just do it like with DCS F-15C.

I dont see the problems with modelling it in MAC/FC3 standard. Enough people just need to ask, so ED realizes that its not only important for the sim environment, but also economically viable.

I m totally in for that.

If its not possible to make full fidelity russian multirole fighter, than at least FC3 level:thumbup:

• Like 4

Bye, Smith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-9600K @5ghz, 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 32GB (2x 16384MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3000 DIMM, 1000GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2, HP Reverb HMD, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, Realsimulator FSSB R3 Stickbase, TM TPR pedals

Is it possible?

Short answer? No.

Long answer? The Russian military is very touchy about in-service military aircraft. Certain aircraft (such as the HIND) seem to be possible, while others (mostly high-performance fighter jets) are a big NO, NO.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

As the title said, having a Su-27SM would be extremely excited and it will be a game-changer.

Because from what I've heard, most of the system and flight characteristics still being locked up since it was highly classified by the Russian government and Air Force.

BTW, if the high fidelity of the modern version is very difficult to make, then what about the arcade? just like one of the FC3 that ED could sell separately as the Su-27SM module.

Is it possible?

Probably not.

The flight characteristics are not the problem. The Su-27SM is an upgrade to the old Su-27S in much the same way as e.g. the F-16AM(MLU) is to the F-16A - i.e. it uses the original airframe and flight control system, but has a modernised cockpit and system's complex.

The big issue I can think of, is the new MFDs/symbology - there is very little open source info on this to be found, so even an FC3 style representation could be problematic to do.....at least if its to meet a minimum degree of realism.

But who knows :)

Yes agree that it would be a "game changer" for "REDFOR", but while you are right about the RWR and AG armament, the radar is not really "more modern" - at least in its initial form, the Su-27SM has an upgraded version of the original N001 radar - more capable and with an "add-on" TWS mode for R-77 employment + air-to-surface modes, but nevertheless still a case of an upgrade to older technology. It has a more modern EOS(with TV channel) though, which also adds to its multirole capability.

FM is there

Yeah that should be fine, but...

..., the air to ground logic is already there with Su-25T, and you can mod a lot of the weapons onto the Su-27S in DCS.

What does the "AG logic" of the Su-25T has to do with the Su-27SM? - the Su-25T has no radar AG modes(doesn't have a radar at all) and the optical Shkval/Vikhr combination is nothing like the new OLS of the Su-27SM.

Radar - increase range and decrease notching filter a bit, maybe improve TWS to what the DCS eagle can do. MFD pages - dont need to model them, just do it like with DCS F-15C.

That sounds more like some crude user mod than something you could seriously expect ED to do.

Even MAC/FC3 standard comes with a high degree of realism - lots of things are simplified or missing, but none of the current FC3 aircraft are completely detatched from reality like your suggestions for an Su-27SM.

If anyone makes a modern Flanker, I'm putting my money on Deka making a Su-30MKK

As for avionics of the Su-27SM they could do it, mostly the same avionics/radar as a Su-30MKK and the Deka devs do have those avionics manuals

I think they want more Chinese home build. Such is expected.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nope, it wont be a game changer. Why do you think that ? Also ED allready said that they wont do low fidelity planes (like Su-25T and Flaming Chilffs 3) any more. But its still possible if a 3rd dev would make it.

So what happened with Modern Air Combat?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

MAC will not be a part of DCS. Its gona be a standalone. ED wont do any low fidelity plane for DCS any more.

That is again questionable, as in the second interview with the ED marketing chief, it was again said that MAC will be part of DCS World as a module.

They are going back and worth with it....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

So technically they are still doing FC3 level aircraft.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

That is again questionable, as in the second interview with the ED marketing chief, it was again said that MAC will be part of DCS World as a module.

They are going back and worth with it....

In the interview with the CEO of DCS and Growling Sidewinder, it was said that MAC is "a independent product [...]" and "[...]its a stepping stone from warthunder befor getting into dcs". It also was said that it will be "inbetween warthunder and DCS" so that means it will NOT be a part of DCS.

source:

46:04 and following

Also BN said it gona be standalone:

attachment.php?attachmentid=246850&stc=1&d=1599405480

Screenshot_20200903-181411_Discord.thumb.jpg.6227086c39a6537392fe6e95566926b8.jpg

Edited by Mike_Romeo

My skins

At this point I am ready for either in terms of MAC being part of DCS, I've seen way too much conflicting information to even make a guess

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

In the interview with the CEO of DCS and Growling Sidewinder, it was said that MAC is "a independent product [...]" and "[...]its a stepping stone from warthunder befor getting into dcs". It also was said that it will be "inbetween warthunder and DCS" so that means it will NOT be a part of DCS.

source:

46:04 and following

Also BN said it gona be standalone:

attachment.php?attachmentid=246850&stc=1&d=1599405480

That is as well still in conflict what is said before.

What I think can be 100% sure to be said is that MAC will be a standalone product that you can buy just like any other game and you do not need DCS World.

But the conflicting information is as well that MAC aircrafts would be available to DCS World players in it, without requirement to have two products installed (MAC + DCSW).

I don't think anyone ever got the impression that the aircrafts that MAC models (MiG-21Bis, AV-8B N/A etc etc) will be removed from the DCSW because they would come to MAC as "FC3" versions.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 years later...

For now 1985 Soviet Su-27S is impossible to model in reasonably realistic way. We have simplified low fidelity one i FC3.

2000s Su-27SM will be compelety impossible for many years to come, it's totally classified, no data, no SME to cooperate, even if someone would try to make it as low fidelity it would be completely unrealistic made up fiction, having nothing in common with real Su-27SM, incomparably less realistic than our low fidelity FC3 Soviet Su-27S.

Edited by bies
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Gahab141 said:

That's what she said... I mean, ED said

ED actively tried to make 1983 Soviet era MiG-29 9.12, they've collected necessary documentation, contacted with subject matter experts etc.

They have been stopped by new Russian law. After that ED encouraged 3rd parties to try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2023 at 3:03 AM, bies said:

They have been stopped by new Russian law. After that ED encouraged 3rd parties to try.

Yeah that’s curious. I wonder what exactly would prevent a third party Dev from making this.

• Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5