Nevada o Persian Gulf

gm_ez

Hi. I am starting in DCS. For now I only have the F/A-18 and I want to take advantage of the sales of these days to buy me one more module. As I am still learning (I have more deaths than landings), I thought of a map. I liked Nevada to do training missions and practices, but I see that they are all with the Persian Gulf. What do you recommend?

Persian gulf is better, as it allows for carrier based missions and real combat instead of just training.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You could do Nevada, and just do the carrier training in the Black Sea. Nevada is one of my favorite maps and perfect for training but it's a hard sell if you have the Hornet. Persian Gulf will get closer to a combat zone, an is very good for carrier ops. But if you want a dedicated training environment for USA aircraft, NTTR is the best choice. But you'll be limited to only "combat" training exercises (Red Flag), some sort of invasion of the USA scenario, or the free Caucasus map.

Really though, all the training stuff will be aimed at the free Caucasus map (i.e. all the training missions will take place on the Caucasus even if you buy Nevada or Persian Gulf) so the choice is yours.

I have both and I like them both. I try to keep the training sorties in Nevada.

The Gulf map is very nice and the Hornet gets a lot of use out of it as a carrier aircraft. It's also the largest map in DCS at the moment so it's great for variety. I do find myself actually liking NTTR more for free flights though. Something about the scenery makes it more interesting to fly over and look at. NTTR for combat isn't bad either, it feels larger than it is, though it's definitely more confined than the Gulf.

I primarily make my own missions, so I see a lot of value in both. If you're not comfortable creating missions, then you might want to take the Gulf if it has more content available.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

What can I say, I´m in love with NTTR.

Get the map, download 476th Range objects mod, open liveatc.com with your browser and select McCarran or North Las Vegas airports to hear real comms while taking off from Nellis AFB to R63B weapons range, to learn AG stuff with your gun, rockets and bombs.

Recover to Nellis with a clean aircraft and teach Air Force guys how to perform a decent overhead, true Navy style.

Training is fun.

My advice, get NTTR, and Persian Gulf by the end of the sale lol. Or maybe for next sales, within 3 month time.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I have both and I prefer Nevada. Persian Gulf IMO, is only half developed. Compared to the size of the map, only the Strait of Hormuz, parts of southern Iran and a few selected parts on the coast between Dubai and Bahrain are actually populated with airfields and objects. All the rest is empty or water, despite of the illusion of the big map. IMO it was rushed out to release.

The Nevada map on the other hand has more "details" all over the map despite the very low heightmap resolution.

82283e74b4d0149a206195dbaf6ff9d13d688ff3.jpg

large-detailed-map-of-persian-gulf-with-cities-and-towns-max.jpg

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

I have both, and almost never use the Nevada map. The Gulf map looks amazing, especially after 2.5.6.

If you want a map for training only, you can use any of them. But if you want realistic scenarios, like intercepting Iranian planes with the F-18, PG is the map for you.

I'm sure you will find much more user missions for this map than for Nevada.

What sold me the NTTR were great missions and campaigns (some are paid DLC, but there are great free ones too) which have this very realistic vibe to them. Red Flag or not - there are special waypoints, landmarks, ranges and procedures I had no idea about before and learning those was fun in itself.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

What sold me the NTTR were great missions and campaigns (some are paid DLC, but there are great free ones too) which have this very realistic vibe to them. Red Flag or not - there are special waypoints, landmarks, ranges and procedures I had no idea about before and learning those was fun in itself.

this, take Sedlo Red Flag missions for instance.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle