Anyone wondering about SSD effects on performance......

As I've just reformatted and upgraded from Win 7 to 10, I can't backtrack to my participation in discussions regarding the effect of moving your entire DCS directories to SSD from HDD. However, I'm happy to share my own experience, having followed suggestions in these forums...... er.....I'm also clueless on how to track down my posted msg's, but to those who'd conjured the way to go, BIG thanks.

I favor beginning in Mission Editor, swapping aircraft and "saving as" custom mission built upon existing. Even on a 3.7 GHz quad core Intel w/ Win 7 x64 Ultimate and SATA HDD's, it was taking at least 3-4 minutes to load missions, then about 5 minutes for sputtering and hiccuping to subside. Reloading missions took nearly as long to load as the initial load. The simulator at times was ridiculously sluggish.

I installed a Samsung 860 EVO, still booting system from HDD, but had transferred my entire DCS folder structure to SSD, then modifying links and registry values per the ideas of fellow pilots, and.........

Close enough to 1000% increase in load speed and performance....... I haven't even yet clean-installed DCS World onto the SSD, which is now my boot drive for Windows 10 build 1909. It literally plays silky smooth now..... in short, if you're wondering if SSD can make a difference, "just do it". :)

Hope it helps as needed...... this post represents pretty much the limits of my technical prowess, but all eyes and ears for any corrective ideas :)

Be well, all.

I use a gen 4 nvme with about 5 GB/s read rate and it takes longer than I would expect to load (compared to other things) so I'm guessing it's loading a lot of info.

Now that I hear you were taking minutes to load I don't think its long anymore.

My average load to start a flight is 8-12 seconds. Again, that doesn't seem long, but it does take longer than other games to load.

I load missions multiple times in this video that i posted regarding another topic.

Just of interest if you want to see what the newer gen 4 nvme drives do.

Modules: Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Nevada | Supercarrier | WWII Assets | FC3 | Spitfire | P-51D | P-47D | F-86F | L-39 | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | F-14B | A-4E-C | BS2

System: X570 AMD-3900X | 32GB DDR4 3000 | 2TB Gen 4x4 5GB/s NVME | Dual 1070 TI | 4k 32" Samsung