FPS difference when going from 4Ghz to 5Ghz

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I should upgrade my CPU from an 4670k @ 4.0Ghz to an 9600k @ 5.0Ghz.

I know this is a lot to ask but could someone of you who runs a modern Intel CPU at 5Ghz temporarily set it to 4Ghz and post the FPS difference here?

Of course this only makes sense in a DCS situation where the CPU is the bottleneck. For me this would be the Hornet cold start tutorial. I'm getting ~25fps there when I launch that mission no matter what settings I am choosing and despite of a 2080ti.

Thanks in advance.

i have ancient 2600k and gtx1070 and usually i don't see such low frames. what kind of mission is that? how many other units on the map?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Okay, so I did some more testing and even with all settings on low and a PD of 0.5 I am getting around ~25fps.

How much fps are you guys getting there? To me it looks like the CPU because it doesn't matter what settings I am using.

Dude, with a 2080ti you should never be just at 25fps. Do you have all the settings turned on highest? Sacrifice some of the settings. I have a 2080ti and with a mix of high and low settings I get 45fps worst case and often 90fps.

If with low settings you still can't get that, then yeah probably worth upgrading your cpu.

Do you have all the settings turned on highest?
Like I said, I get 25fps even when using the lowest settings.

I have a 2080ti and with a mix of high and low settings I get 45fps worst case and often 90fps.
Can you tell me how much fps you are getting in the Hornet cold start training mission? Would help me a lot to have some values to compare to.

EDIT: I turned on some performance tracking and my 4670k is at 80% load while my 2080ti is at around 50%.

Edited by Migo

I see toutenglisse. So it's not my CPU but a lot of F/A-18 in the cold start mission.

I nevertheless ordered a 9600k now and will post my general fps increase once I have DCS running with 5Ghz .

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I should upgrade my CPU from an 4670k @ 4.0Ghz to an 9600k @ 5.0Ghz.

I know this is a lot to ask but could someone of you who runs a modern Intel CPU at 5Ghz temporarily set it to 4Ghz and post the FPS difference here?

Of course this only makes sense in a DCS situation where the CPU is the bottleneck. For me this would be the Hornet cold start tutorial. I'm getting ~25fps there when I launch that mission no matter what settings I am choosing and despite of a 2080ti.

Thanks in advance.

I can tell you I went from a 4820k at 4.5 GHz with DDR3 ram to 9900k at 5.1 GHz with DDR4 ram and saw a nice improvement flying in VR which is pretty demanding.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just upgraded my hardware. I can't do a lot of comparisons right now, because some of my modules have activation problems. What I can say thus far is that my fps on the Hornet cold start training mission have risen from 25fps to solid 40fps. I was worried about not seeing a performance improvement, but the upgrade was definately worth it.