Hornet vs FC3 PFM Jets

Guest Guest

I can only tell you that I have not seen any such controls.

The pilot can select the target size, which sets up fuze sensitivity AFAIK.

I suspect the pilot would never actually set the active range since the missile goes through a complicated process to search for its target, distinguish it from other targets and decoys if necessary, then switch to homing mode etc.

Perhaps the range is modified by aspect, but I wouldn't know.

AFAIK and not modeled in game, the missile would go active at ~13nm to begin HPRF search and target acquisition. It will go 'pitbull' once it switches to MPRF STT - I don't know at what range this happens.

The closer to target it goes active, the greater the possibility for said target to maneuver out of the missile's capture basket (search pattern if you will).

The AMRAAM isn't meant to be some sort of stealth missile. Just a very scary one.

PS: Currently in-game you will get the missile launch warning between 7 and 5nm if the missile is launched in TWS.

That is correct.

I thought the active sequence goes the opposite way: MPRF -> HPRF. ???

Edited by Bimbac

I thought the active sequence goes the opposite way: MPRF -> HPRF. ???
No ... MPRF is better at clutter and ECM rejection but shorter ranged IIRC.
Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Then you should stop caring about the AIM-9X, for the same reasons you don't care about the AMRAAM. ;)

It's beyond a counter to the 73.

I disagree. It's a good missile, but a Mig-21 spoofed one fired off a superbug the other day IRL. In my book, and until it remains to be seen, in DCS it will be a bluefor-r-73 equivalent. Unless they change how flares spoof heaters in DCS, it'll basically operate the same way as an r-73.

I disagree. It's a good missile, but a Mig-21 spoofed one fired off a superbug the other day IRL.

No it didn't. That missile most likely suffered a fin failure. The AIM-9X has proven itself to be quite un-spoofable even in the presence of continuous dispensing of large volumes of conventional flares.

The aircraft was a Su-22, not a MiG-21.

In my book, and until it remains to be seen, in DCS it will be a bluefor-r-73 equivalent. Unless they change how flares spoof heaters in DCS, it'll basically operate the same way as an r-73.

It isn't even close to an R-73. It has twice the off-bore capability, longer detection (and thus lock-on) range and a much more sophisticated, next-to-un-spoofable seeker. And yes, it's possible to make it so without changing how flares operate in DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

No it didn't. That missile most likely suffered a fin failure. The AIM-9X has proven itself to be quite un-spoofable even in the presence of continuous dispensing of large volumes of conventional flares.

The aircraft was a Su-22, not a MiG-21.

It isn't even close to an R-73. It has twice the off-bore capability, longer detection (and thus lock-on) range and a much more sophisticated, next-to-un-spoofable seeker. And yes, it's possible to make it so without changing how flares operate in DCS.

Any proof of it being unspoofable is classified, so how can you say this with certainty? Or are you just believing the rhetoric? Also, the aim-9x has 90 degree off boresight, that's not 2x the R-73... I'm open to being wrong, but I'd like to read what you're reading...

It's out in public. Even the research of what is needed to spoof a 9X is public. You just have to know where and what to look for, but as one example ... (note very last test too ... that's most likely a flare pod spewing out flares. The other option is other type of IRCM).

Rejection of flares is far far easier given the fact that an image is now being processed and flares look nothing like the target aircraft, among other things.

There are most certainly secret studies, but what's out in public isn't rhetoric at all, it's show and tell and science. In terms of seeker technology this is revolutionary, not evolutionary.

As for the off-bore capability, it depends on the exact variant of the 73 ... but generally the pre-launch targeting is limited to 45 deg, at least in our game. It would be fair to say that the 9X would also be cued at less than 90 deg before launch. We're not getting a block II, so AFAIK no LOAL.

Any proof of it being unspoofable is classified, so how can you say this with certainty? Or are you just believing the rhetoric? Also, the aim-9x has 90 degree off boresight, that's not 2x the R-73... I'm open to being wrong, but I'd like to read what you're reading...

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GGTharos is correct. Based on publically available information, the imaging IR Focal Plane Array seeker on the AIM9X should give it a significant IRCCM advantage over the DCS R73 (ditto for the AIM9M/P, R60, Magic II etc). I imagine later variants of the Archer may/will feature a similar imaging seekerhead (K74M2 etc?), but not the version modelled in DCS (early R73 or possibly R73M?).

Also, AFAIK the off-bore capability of the original R73 was in fact 45 degrees. This was then expanded to 60 deg in the R73M, while the Block I AIM9X we are getting is quoted as capable of 90 deg. This makes sense in that the 9X was developed as a counter to the R73 after all. You would probably need a K74M2 or K-MD/K-30/izdeliye 300 to close the capability gap in the above two areas.

Edited by Boogieman