3 Monitor Woes...

Appeljack

Hi folks,

I've read through many of threads and I still cannot find a solution. Any info/help will be GREATLY appreciated (Thanks in advance). I've spent so many hours reading, researching, and fiddling. I've run out of any more ideas. PLEASE HELP?!

I've changed the options.lau to reflect the total resolution of the 3 monitors (native resolutions). I also modified the graphis.cfg file as instructed. The pertinent info of what I've edited is shown below.

I believe I've setup the Camera+Shkval+Abris lua file correctly. The problem is, when I choose the resolution by entering 4344x1080 (which I also changed in the options and graphics files), it seems to default to the highest resolution in the list (which is 2560x1440). I can type in the resolution too, but it doesn't seem to "take" no matter what I do. What happens is I see part of each monitor on each side is active, but that's it. My main, center monitor is 1920x1080, so what seems to be happening is that 2560-1920 = 640 and 640/2 = 320 is being filled in on both side monitors, i.e. the program won't fill in the total width of 4344.

options.lau

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "Camera+Shkval+Abris",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 3,

["fullScreen"] = false,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 4.022222222,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 3,

["display_mode"] =

["height"] = 1080,

["resolution"] = "4344x1080",

["civTraffic"] = 1,

["width"] = 4344,

Graphics.cfg

Simulation

{

resolution = {4344, 1080};

bpp = 32;

fullscreen = 1;

aspect = 4.0222222222;

Running Win7, 64 bit, Intel® HD Graphics 4600, 8GB Ram, ...

I very simply went into the options setting and changed the resolution to 5760x1080 and single monitor.

I guess I don't understand why you want 4344x1080, can you please explain.

I'm assuming your monitors are all capable of 1920x1080.

If all that is so, then I see no need to edit any files. I've been running triple screens for six months or so with no issues.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Thanks for the response Gladman. My monitors are all different, and running in their "native" resolutions they are: Left:1024x768, Center: 1920x1080, and Right: 1400x1050. So, 1024+1920+1400=4344. This is how one of the threads instructed to do it...set the total res. as the sum of three.

What options settings did you change the resolution to 5760x1080? In the game, where there is a drop down list? The highest default setting there I have is 2560x1440.

I would think part of your problem being that your asking two of your monitors to goto resolution they aren't capable of. If 768 and 1050 are your max I don't think 1080 is possible. Maybe try 4344x768. Just a guess.

Simply go to options. There is the resolution drop down there.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I tried switching the resolutions. The instructions say to use the maximum values, though, so that's how I ended with those numbers. The problem is, is that I can't get the image to "stretch" to all of the monitors, width-wise. It's like the program will not take a higher width resolution than 2560, which extends the image from the center monitor to just a small portion to each monitor on the left and right. No matter the height res values, the side monitors will just not "fill."

I would think part of your problem being that your asking two of your monitors to goto resolution they aren't capable of. If 768 and 1050 are your max I don't think 1080 is possible. Maybe try 4344x768. Just a guess.

Simply go to options. There is the resolution drop down there.

That won't be the problem, the resolution you put in the options is only the rectangle needed to cover all the monitors, there can be "holes".

The fine tuning of the displays (e.g. viewports) is done in the lua files.

@Appeljack: post your monitor.lua here please ;)

Edited by PiedDroit

Description = 'Shkval on the left monitor, camera on the right'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1024;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1920/1080;

}

}

Shkval =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1024;

height = 768;

}

ABRIS =

{

x = 2944;

y = 0;

width = 1400;

height = 1050;

}

The "center" needs to equal your total resolution and that X value should be zero.. Also have you made sure the left most monitor is your main display in Windows?

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

That .lua file look alright except for the missing 2 lines at the beginning (I suppose they are present, considering your options.lua):

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('Camera+Shkval+Abris');

And this should be at the end:

UIMainView = Viewports.Center
As Deezle mentioned it you should try to put your main monitor at left and change your x offsets to match this - although this should not be an issue with current DCS engine IIRC (worked with 3 screens for main viewport).

As a test, you can also remove your Shkval and and ABRIS viewports and use the full resolution 4344/1080 for the Center viewport (I know it'll look bad, it's just a test). If that works, reduce the center view port resolution to the main screen and try again. Then add the Shkval and ABRIS.

Also, about the drop down list. It's normal your special resolution is not listed, no worries, you have to put it manually. The "aspect" field should be computed automatically when you enter it.

EDIT: The weird thing is your graphics.cfg.

The only config file you should ever edit manually is the monitor setup .lua.

Also I don't see a graphics.cfg (graphics.cfg is leftover from Lock-On and is not used by DCS) in my install, and the graphics.lua does not contain a resolution section...

Which version of DCS are you using?

Edited by PiedDroit

PiedDroit can you do me a favor and explain to me why the 1080 resoultion wouldn't matter here? I really just don't quite understand.

My thought is that if you have 3 monitors that do 1920x1080 then you take the 1920 x 3 = 5760 but you leave your 1080 portion alone. As in you don't go 1080 x 3 = 3150 and then make your overall resolution 5760x3150.

I'm guessing you would only do that if you were running 6 monitors? Is that correct?

Dale

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Thanks for the input. I included the two lines at the beginning and the one at the end of the monitor setup file (these aren't part of the options file, right?!). I also deleted the Shkval and ABRIS and just tried the center. The drop down list seems not to take the special resolution, whether I enter it in the drop-down box, or specify it in the options.lau. When I exit the game and go back to the in-game options, it defaults to the max res in the list(2560x1440).

The Main, center monitor seems to take up the 1920, and then equal portions on either side are displayed on the left and right monitors, but most of the rest of the left and right monitors just show my desktop background. I'm sure that the width is 2560! So, I'm getting the same thing as before...hmmmm *sigh

The graphics file is not a .lau, but a .cfg file in the Config folder. I read on one of the threads here to change the resolution in this file.

Again, thanks for your help.

I have Version 1.0

Edited by Appeljack

PiedDroit can you do me a favor and explain to me why the 1080 resoultion wouldn't matter here? I really just don't quite understand.

My thought is that if you have 3 monitors that do 1920x1080 then you take the 1920 x 3 = 5760 but you leave your 1080 portion alone. As in you don't go 1080 x 3 = 3150 and then make your overall resolution 5760x3150.

I'm guessing you would only do that if you were running 6 monitors? Is that correct?

Dale

If you're refering to that post: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2414360#post2414360, what I meant is:

- When you configure a resolution in the game options, you're basically telling DCS that you want to draw stuff inside that rectangle.

- The content of the monitor .lua file will tell DCS what and where to draw inside that rectangle.

DCS doesn't know about the screens resolution, if you ask for something to be drawn that is bigger than the screen, it will be cropped.

As an example, I got 2 screens plugged right now, one 2560x1080 and one 1920x1080.

I tried with the secondary screen (1920x1080) above and offset to the left and tried various resolution, every time the image is correctly displayed (although I was missing big chunks of it), I tried 3000x3000 for example.

Fullscreen was false, I didn't try with fullscreen true.

So yes, you're correct you'd use 5760x1080, 5760x2160 with 6 screens.

Now let's imagine you've got an old 1024x768 monitor and you put it below the 3 screens.

You'd set resolution 5760x1848 in the options.

In monitor lua, you'd set main viewport to 0,0/5760x1080 and your MFD to 0,1080/1024x768 for example.

I had this exact setup once, it works.

So, if one of the screens is too small for the image, then that image will be cropped to the size of the screen (just like when you try to display a wallpaper too big for your monitor with no resizing).

... The drop down list seems not to take the special resolution, whether I enter it in the drop-down box, or specify it in the options.lau. When I exit the game and go back to the in-game options, it defaults to the max res in the list(2560x1440).

The graphics file is not a .lau, but a .cfg file in the Config folder. I read on one of the threads here to change the resolution in this file.

Again, thanks for your help.

I have Version 1.0

The fact that the resolution reverts to 2560x1440 is not normal. The correct procedure is to enter the resolution in the "RESOLUTION" field (without clicking on the arrow that shows the list of available resolutions), then hit Enter to validate it and exit the options. That's all.

Also, you seem to believe that the custom resolution should be added to the drop down list, this is not the case. You can only override the default choices with the one manually entered.

You should definitely upgrade your DCS version, currently we have version 1.2.16.39472.729 and what I'm saying probably does not apply to version 1.0.

And you don't need to update graphics.cfg, you're just wasting time this file is not used by DCS (try renaming it to graphics.old it shouldn't make any difference).

My advice is to reinstall DCS completely with the latest installer (google "dcs reinstall activation" to know the procedure for your modules).

If you use 1.0 and still have a graphics.cfg file, your install is likely to be a bit messy.

Edited by PiedDroit

Thanks PiedDroit. I had a feeling that something is just wrong. Would you suggest that I just upgrade to black shark 2? Is it worth it to learn and play the original, or is black shark 2 better? I know from what I've done with black shark that I really like it. The flight dynamics and immersive detail is fantastic.

Thanks PiedDroit. I had a feeling that something is just wrong. Would you suggest that I just upgrade to black shark 2? Is it worth it to learn and play the original, or is black shark 2 better? I know from what I've done with black shark that I really like it. The flight dynamics and immersive detail is fantastic.

I though you were already using BS 2, everything I wrote applies to DCS World: Black Shark 2...

I can't tell about the difference between BS 1 and 2 (I made the switch too long ago), but it's worth switching to DCS World anyway, it is constantly improved.

-------------------------------------

For your 3 screens problem on BS 1, you should remove the lines of code I told to add (they may not be needed in BS 1) in the monitors lua.

Try putting your main monitor (the one set as primary in windows) to the upper left. If that doesn't work I don't know what will (this: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2414377&postcount=8).

-------------------------------------

So, should you upgrade or not?

Considering you're struggling with your 3 screens, that might be a good idea.

What I suggest is that you wait for a sale and buy directly a Black Shark 2 key, not an upgrade key. If you buy during a sale the BS1 key will be the same price as BS1 to BS2 upgrade and it will be easier to install and manage.

Then you install DCS World and your new module (at a separate location from your BS1 install).

Check the news here http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/ to know when the sales happen.

In the meantime (next sale should be in 1 or 2 month), you can still try to fix your 3 screens problem, but at this point I'm afraid I can't help, my knowledge is pretty much limited to DCS: World.

If you're lucky you might find the solution from someone who knows the old engine better, but if you can drop 15$/20$ it's really worth getting Black Shark 2 for DCS World.

If you prefer to upgrade from BS1 to BS2 without waiting, check this out:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=124991

and http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=140207

There you can ask specific questions about the procedure to upgrade.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

PROBLEM SOLVED! Make sure Full Screen is NOT selected. :P

Hello there!

So I purchased Black Shark 2, bought a new graphics card and it seems I'm getting there. Now I have the three monitors working...camera center, Shkval on the left, and the ABRIS on the right. However, I can't click anything in the cockpit. Also, when I press escape to get the menu window, I can't click on that either. It's like the 3 monitors knocked out the mouse. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I just experimented and found out that the mouse does work, but it is shifted to the right by the width of my left monitor screen. Here is my layout: small monitor on the left (1024x768), big monitor center (1920x1080), medium on right (1280x1024). In Display properties, I have the large monitor (center) set as 1, the small monitor (left) set at 2, and the medium monitor (right) set at 3. It seems that when I'm clicking in the cockpit in the game (the large monitor-center), that everything is shifted over by the width of the small monitor (left). The center monitor is set as the main display.

When I set the small, left monitor as the main display, everything looked good, but the mouse wasn't working at all, not even shifted.

Edited by Appeljack
New INFO!