HOTAS Extension

Hi

I have a Warthog HOTAS and was looking at adding an extension, the question is what length would be best? I can always build a pedestal to raise the stick up, therefore shortening the requirement for the extension length, or I could keep the stick base at floor level and put a much longer extension?

I would imagine that with the longer stick I would need a stronger spring?

I appreciate that this sort of mod can be down to personal experience, of which I have none at the moment.

Thanks

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Made myself a DIY extension out of 30 cm plastic tube and a bunch of connectors (pic). Even adding grip and base length, it's still about twice shorter than the real Spitfire control column and I still use 10% curvature for pitch axis for better gunnery presision.

With this setup, the stock spring indeed becomes not strong enough, making the stick flapping around (I got used to it though). However, given the crappy quality of Warthog internals, I would be careful with idea of installing a stronger one. Remember, part of the spring force gets transfered onto the articulation sphere, which already is the weakest element of the mechanism. Increasing this force even further is asking for trouble in my opinion.

As for the idea of floor level extension - aha, be careful! Keep in mind the increase in horizontal movement range of the stick! Real control columns do NOT have the equal angular movement range in all directions like our joysticks. With my +30 cm setup, I already have to straighten my arm completely for full forward stick position (and I'm 186 cm tall). If I crafted even longer extension, I would actually have to start leaning forward, especially when you realize that back throw is longer as well, thus the pivot point has to be located further forward from the chair. All of it applies to sideways movement as well, thus you would have to spread your legs more apart (my setup ended up being perfect for MFG croswind pedals). Find or measure the angular movement values of the Warthog, and then calculate the throw for various extension lengths. I guess one could try to limit the default angular movement range mechanically, and then adjust the input/output ratio in the software somehow, but still, that's additional problem to solve.

Also, keep in mind that you'll have to figure out where and how to mount and operate the throttle, keyboard, mouse, as you'll generally sit quite a bit further from your desk than now.

As you can see, extending the stick causes further unforeseen complications, which you have to foresee :D.

1.jpg.fab870e23fdf0fa49b897b1c8e617b3b.jpg

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

This video give you idea about extension effect - remember that a too big extension may conflict with knee/legs.

VirPil sell a kit with 3 different sizes of extension, allowing combine then, MFG too.

Sahaj sell strong springs for replace in Warthog gimbal.

Floor based joystick may work well in "simpit" wheres (virtual) pilot sit more down (like IRL fighters) but for office chair don't see good idea.

Edited by Sokol1_br

I have 20 inches, ladies--of extension!! Sheesh guy, get your minds out of the gutter :P

I have Slaw Device F-16 rudder pedals, which have about the same width as the MFG Crosswinds.

attachment.php?attachmentid=171248&stc=1&d=1509197178

With my setup, I'm pushing the stick into my legs on the furthest lateral throws and couldn't pull back further if I wanted to; I have an undisclosed amount of gut-extension as well :noexpression: ........ :doh:

But in-flight, you rarely throw the stick that far. Maybe when doing some hard rolls, but generally not, so it's not real issue. In those cases where I need to push the stick over that hard, I simply push it into my leg a bit, or shift my leg an inch or so out of the way, so no real issue.

20171028_144818.thumb.png.b5b77bb4349d0405d763ee9c08b7a384.png

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1