New caucasus map

-IRRE-Rolluptito

Well, let's keep the fingers crossed and wait for some info then.

I did a quick check, it seems that there aren't many airports to the south of current map and including them would require expending the map quite substantially.

quickmap.thumb.png.33c266b7946cf80531aff125263a50da.png

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Map for the Most part will be the same size, w/ some extension to the south.

The Timeline will be the same as previous Cacausus, The map is simply being re-done for new engine.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

How is it looking on your system Skates? I know your testing it! :)

• Like 1

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I did a quick check, it seems that there aren't many airports to the south of current map and including them would require expending the map quite substantially.

That area looks really interesting to do ground missions in. :thumbup:

attachment.php?attachmentid=167633&d=1502896927

It's looking like...

:megalol:

Hey I tried...

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

You dont have security clearance to get close enough, good luck though.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Fun fact, Nas Ne Dagoniat, was filmed in the Caucasus region.. :-D

Skate... I'm coming for you.. I just moved to VA. That was rude :(

Agreed! Rude! Get him ducky!!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

That area looks really interesting to do ground missions in. :thumbup:

attachment.php?attachmentid=167633&d=1502896927

I don't think they are moving so much to the South... but we can hope;)

On the map posted Marneuli is very interesting, and I think will be included.

49385594.jpg

In Turkey, the Kars airport is not of much interesting(civilian international airport), but at same laitude, more on the left, is present Merzifon, an active military airbase.

In Armenia, Shirak and Erebuni are interesting...

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

• 2 weeks later...
any news about caucasus map?:book:

Yes please, don't get me wrong anybody and I don't want to annoy anyone but I feel a little in the dark about current progress, I mean this was well over a year ago https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170914

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The news is ...

... That it is work in progress. There were some comparison screenshots recently, and also some posts that suggest ED's map people focused on getting it migrated to T4 version.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Batumi Airfield comparison 1.5.7 vs 2.2

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3205895&postcount=1

So if 2.2 was in the screenshot and 2.5 is for the public release and that was a month ago what do I get from that? You see I don't know what the status is... Is the map complete and are we just ironing out the kinks? Are we still developing the technologies? Are we squishing bugs? Is the map still not complete and significant work still needs to happen? I'm entirely led to speculate what status the map is at. Personally I'd like to think that the map is more or less complete with few things missing or in need of completion, so development is focused on the technologies, ironing out kinks and getting everything to work properly. This is purely speculative, in truth we have no idea what's going on.

On top of that, we already had a screenshot of Batumi from over a year ago, attachment.php?attachmentid=144869&d=1469293869

The most recent screenshot is this attachment.php?attachmentid=166480&d=1501170201

Now it's difficult to tell what exactly has happened in between these shots, the really obvious changes between the 2 are firstly the trees, the more recent one appears to have more of them and they look a little different (imo slightly worse than the first screenshot (which again is over a year old) but again, I can't really tell what's happening). The other one is the buildings - the buildings in the 2nd screenshot seem much nicer and it also looks like I'm seeing a few new ones, which is great to see! However, we still don't know precisely what has happened and analysing and comparing the 2 screenshots is still difficult not only because the 2 shots are taken from drastically different locations but because we lack the actual knowledge of what exactly has happened.

Screenshots are all well and good, and really I'm very grateful for them, but for all I know the area around Batumi could've been a more recent development or it could've been one that's been there for a while... You see the issue? For all we know that portion of the map could've been like that for a while or it could be a recent development. I don't know even vaguely what the status of the situation is. Everything is purely speculative. Which is why "the news is, it's still in development" isn't as adequate an answer because this update involves not only making a new map but also the technologies to facilitate the merge. The problem is I can't tell where even I'll use the word roughly but in reality that's a large understatement of where the update is sort of at.

If it was a screenshot taken of recent work then that's what I'm after.

I guess seeing as updates are monthly I take it the update is still far away...

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The Map for the Most part will be the same size, w/ some extension to the south.

The Timeline will be the same as previous Cacausus, The map is simply being re-done for new engine.

So, Novorossiysk airport is there and Marneuil Air base is still missing?

Re-done also implies correct it. :music_whistling:

Winding down to the end of 2017...some news on the map would be welcomed...Silence is not Always Golden. There is so much in the pipeline, the immediate future seems cluttered and unclear.

Yeah sure its coming...all that good stuff.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Future is quite clear. Lots of things in progress, best case scenario we will have excellent and rich sandbox with huge amount of features.

Screenshots show - in my opinion - areas that are ready for public eyes, judging from the amount of differences between the "new" and the "old", other map areas could be far away from that or even not started. After all, life is only somewhat plannable or predictable, thus we should not expect everything being delivered on a -even speculated- timely basis.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Re-done also implies correct it. :music_whistling:

No it does not.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Winding down to the end of 2017...some news on the map would be welcomed...Silence is not Always Golden. There is so much in the pipeline, the immediate future seems cluttered and unclear.

Yeah sure its coming...all that good stuff.

I can't seem to find the post about 2.5 being delayed from last year. I bring this up because I don't recall them ever locking in on a guaranteed release for this year either. Things seem to be open ended at the moment regarding 2.5...

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

Future is quite clear

What is planned is quite clear yes, and it looks tasty :) Like you said about a rich sandbox with lots of features, that I'm sure - for me the Caucuses map is already the best theatre because you can do everything you want. Aside from long range stuff. For me Normandy has something that for me is intolerable which is the unrealistic bordering by land when there's supposed to be Ocean, I realise that all maps suffer from this, but with the Caucuses the main body of water is the Black Sea which is entirely enclosed from all sides, so it's less of a problem, and NTTR isn't a coastal region, it doesn't have open sea in the same way the Caucuses and Normandy do. NTTR lacking water and the varying terrain present in the Caucuses limits it's potential use.

Any hoozles back on track we're still a little in the dark about what the current status is, we're well into Q3 of 2017 and Q4 is only about a month away. What I'm saying with status updates which AFAIK the last clear cut update we got about the map's progression was when Wags told us that the elevation resolution had been improved by 400% for nice, smooth, rolling hills. Which is brilliant, it's exactly what I'd like to see, but that was well over a year ago. Even adding information to go with the screenshots these screenshots to explain what is going on, like what we more or less got with NTTR, "here's a new airbase we added" etc would suffice.

Aside from that status update about the elevation mesh being improved we haven't had much, only screenshots with next to no information apart from things we already know.

No it does not.

Well sorry, but yes it kinda does. Admittedly not necessarily and not in all cases (this perhaps being one of them). I mean normally one would go about redoing something if corrections need to be made. An example of provided and I'll quote from Wags himself: "... today the Caucasus map for DCS World 2.5 had its terrain elevation resolution increased by an average of 400%. This has eliminated almost all sharp edges to the terrain; and it's added rolling hills, much more detailed ridges and mountain sides, and provided many new places to hide down low..."

What I've put in bold is an example of a correction made to the map, the sharp hills are currently an error - they're inaccurate. The improvements to terrain mesh resolution has meant that the scenery has been corrected as a product of it being redone, resulting in a more accurate map. The improvements also introduce further improvements as kind of a byproduct. I know that it's all not necessarily but it's an example of redoing ~= correction. The point is "no it does not" isn't entirely true, certainly not in the way you make it out to be.

Plus if the map is going to be of the same period and have things added to it (we see from ED that it's to be extended to the south, to the extent is still unknown) then Marnueli airbase should be present regardless, it was allegedly bombed during the war and is already in an included area of the current Caucuses map. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/georgia-2008-bomb.htm

I can't seem to find the post about 2.5 being delayed from last year. I bring this up because I don't recall them ever locking in on a guaranteed release for this year either. Things seem to be open ended at the moment regarding 2.5...

I agree with this, in the post a year ago the release was planned for late 2016, now I realise and understand perfectly why ED don't put 'guarantees' on release dates, development in DCS is unpredictable, sometimes a major set-back occurs and the product is delayed quite substantially in some cases - it's just a fact of reality and you know, these things happen. I also know that development is on multiple things such as the Hornet and the new aircraft carriers (of which we have again, screenshots but no real news apart from pure speculation, the carriers are supposed to have functioning lifts and elevators etc, but no news on the development of that feature just yet - but I'm straying away from topic here).

The issue is, we don't exactly know what is going on, certainly less than when NTTR and Normandy was being developed IIRC Now I know the development of the Caucuses isn't just a new map like Normandy and NTTR there's a lot of other things coming for DCS 2.5, it would just be nice to get some impression of where roughly things are at currently, that's all - I'm not expecting release dates I just would like an incite to what the plan is.

Edited by Northstar98

System: