Newbie on 109

I just got this bird yesterday and all I can say is wow. Really enjoying to get to know this beast. It is like a different unique plane to fly. It wants to dance a certain way so stay in step. Why did I wait this long to love this plane.

I have been flying Mustangs for a long time and I am starting to get the fever with the 109. It is a challenge but there is much reward of satisfaction sitting in the cockpit strapping on your belts, respecting and pay attention to her for she demands attention and respect.

Wow I think I need a smoke.:smoke:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:thumbup:

I have all three warbirds out until now, and of the three I find the 109 the most entertaining. :)

The P-51 and 190 are fine in their own ways, it's just, the 109 feels like that little roadster you take out for fun rides on narrow country roads. :)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Yeah I do already have the Pony, but for some reason I just can't get enthusiastic about her. Although the 109 is my favourite ww2 fighter and love what I'm seeing so far. Are there any other variants in the pipe line.

i also am new to the 109 and liking it very much. I have a few Q's on the DCS version:

1) It says you can use the MW50 tank to store regular fuel. Is it possible?

2) When carrying the centerline loads, you must take most of the fuel out. When carrying the fuel tank, you only see a small fuel gain. Also, am I doing something wrong when I say I can even load the big bomb on because its always overweight?

3) Does the primer not show on the fuel pressure anymore? When I follow the procedure, the pressure does not move on the gauge. (I wonder if this was something they put in and changed later for realism?)

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

i also am new to the 109 and liking it very much. I have a few Q's on the DCS version:

1) It says you can use the MW50 tank to store regular fuel. Is it possible?

2) When carrying the centerline loads, you must take most of the fuel out. When carrying the fuel tank, you only see a small fuel gain. Also, am I doing something wrong when I say I can even load the big bomb on because its always overweight?

3) Does the primer not show on the fuel pressure anymore? When I follow the procedure, the pressure does not move on the gauge. (I wonder if this was something they put in and changed later for realism?)

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

1. Yes

2. The 109 was extremely light, and was never really designed to carry anything. It can carry small loads, but not very well, and at the cost of a lot of range.

3. This is realistic behavior. The pump gauge doesn't move until the engine starts. It used to do that in game, but it's been changed to reflect the real world 109.

It's being a while since last time I gave a try droppable tanks but they aren't small at all, don't remember for the 109 but IIRC drop tank is more than half your internal fuel capability. The thing is whether 190 or 109 fuel gauges don't show drop tank fuel, you only know when it's empty because gauge starts to show your internal fuel dropping. IIRC in 109 you have another clue, the fuel line to your right in the cockpit has a small window.

But that isn't small mate, once I flew back and forth almost all the map in 190 only with drop tank fuel and I couldn't fully empty it. That's why I don't ever use them, you're plenty of fuel.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The runaways in Caucaus are long. You can take off even if over the max weight. So the SC-500 and full internal fuel load is possible.

You can set the MW-50 tank contents in the mission editor Additional properties tab.

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

The 109's drop tank just feeds its contents into the main tank, so if your main tank is always full (and on the real one, see the bubbles on the fuel feed line), you know its feeding all right. Same thing with the MW tank, it can be used for fuel, and it works the same, i.e. feeding the main tank. Just don't forget to set the switch for it on the port side to Kraftstoff, so it would feed into the main tank.

When the drop tank runs out (300 liters), you are probably in time to head back to base (the 400 liter main tank should be sufficient in all cases, with a 100 liter reserve).

With a drop tank and lower setting, you can fly for hours in the 109, up to 6-7 even at very low settings.

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

Could use some help with views in combat. In the P-51 looking back to keep contact in sight was not a chore. With 109 we have a big plate behind and above. How do you get around on this? Thanks for the help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Could use some help with views in combat. In the P-51 looking back to keep contact in sight was not a chore. With 109 we have a big plate behind and above. How do you get around on this? Thanks for the help.

I simply lean to the side using TrackIR. What you can also do is to roll a bit and use the rudder to get a better view.

This is in some respects a built-in limitation of the 109. The view from its small, framed cockpit with a razorback is never going to be as good as from the Mustang's bubble canopy, especially if you are looking to the rear (though believe it or not the K-4 is probably one of the better 109s in this regard, as it has the improved 'erla haube' canopy). All you can do is try your best to look around the obstructions by moving your head.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, my turn to ask noob questions ;) I've decided to give Bf-109 a spin for the second time in 1.5.4 beta after buying it a looong time ago.

And, ummm. Startup and takeoff weren't a big deal, it handled quite acceptably, though not too gracefully. But right after takeoff, left turn, throttle open ~75%, engine kaput.

Second attempt, kept to takeoff throttle limit. After takeoff, decrease to ~45%, left turn, engine kaput. Although managed to fly a bit further then last time.

Third attempt, cut the power after takeoff even more. Flew more and kaput again :)

Now, radiators were AUTO, engine temps on high side but within limits. MW-50 off, but I figured you don't need unless at full power.

The only thing I can think of is that I started cold and dark, did engine start, waited for oil to barely heat up to ~45 and then blasted away. Anything else I'm doing wrong?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Hey, my turn to ask noob questions ;) I've decided to give Bf-109 a spin for the second time in 1.5.4 beta after buying it a looong time ago.

And, ummm. Startup and takeoff weren't a big deal, it handled quite acceptably, though not too gracefully. But right after takeoff, left turn, throttle open ~75%, engine kaput.

Second attempt, kept to takeoff throttle limit. After takeoff, decrease to ~45%, left turn, engine kaput. Although managed to fly a bit further then last time.

Third attempt, cut the power after takeoff even more. Flew more and kaput again :)

Now, radiators were AUTO, engine temps on high side but within limits. MW-50 off, but I figured you don't need unless at full power.

The only thing I can think of is that I started cold and dark, did engine start, waited for oil to barely heat up to ~45 and then blasted away. Anything else I'm doing wrong?

Sounds like you forgot to set the prop pitch. It's in the manual in the section about the start-up procedure. You need to switch the prop pitch to manual mode (small switch below the throttle quadrant), then set the pitch to the 12:00 position and switch back to automatic prop pitch.

Hope that helps :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Aha, thank you sir. I saw it was in manual, but naturally I figured if it's auto-manual-auto step it can be safely skipped. Looks like a rather wrong assumption ;)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |