New monitor FOV and GSYNC questions

Greetings fellow virtual aviators! I decided to treat myself to an early Christmas present and upgrade my 27” 60Hz 1080p monitor. I purchased a Dell S2716DG 27” 1440p 144hz GSYNC monitor. I have a couple of questions to make sure I get the most out of it.

I tested it very briefly and noticed that the default FOV for the A-10 was the same as what I had with 1080p. I have seen screenshots http://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?5011-21-9-vs-16-9-Monitors where the increase in resolution creates a wider FOV but my view is still up close with a narrow FOV like I had with 1080p. Is there a setting I am missing?

For those with GSYNC monitors, are there settings that I should pay attention to and adjust so I get the best experience? I have turned off in game VSYNC, I made sure GSYNC was on and the refresh rate was set to 144Hz in the Nvidia control panel. Let me know if there is anything else!

Thank you!

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

...where the increase in resolution creates a wider FOV...

If at all then possibly in height but technically... :huh: don´t you need an 16:10 in this case?

A really wider FOV you will only get with an ultrawide 21:9

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

You can have vsync on in-game and set to 144hz and gsync will still work, in games where you get more than 144 fps it keeps your video card and cpu from doing more than they have to.

Fov is not aspect ratio, most fps games have set fov that scales with resolution, to keep things relatively fair... no people that can see 360 degrees with a fisheye lens... card and puzzle games generally don't scale, so higher res means smaller cards that have the same pixel count

Also means games with a set fov either don't allow wider resolutions, or you lose height to gain width...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greetings fellow virtual aviators! I decided to treat myself to an early Christmas present and upgrade my 27” 60Hz 1080p monitor. I purchased a Dell S2716DG 27” 1440p 144hz GSYNC monitor. I have a couple of questions to make sure I get the most out of it.

I tested it very briefly and noticed that the default FOV for the A-10 was the same as what I had with 1080p. I have seen screenshots http://www.476vfightergroup.com/showthread.php?5011-21-9-vs-16-9-Monitors where the increase in resolution creates a wider FOV but my view is still up close with a narrow FOV like I had with 1080p. Is there a setting I am missing?

Thank you!

First, you have changed your resolution in DCS options? To 2560 x 1440.

These are my setting for the Normandy campaign, just so you can compare your settings, only running a 1070.

My in game fov, I think is around 90 to see more in the A10, to be accurately viewed (Everything looks right when moving head around), the setting is more around the 70 mark.

Hit left control + Pause twice to see the FOV at the top of screen, when in cockpit, you do know you can save the FOV and the standard default position permanently for each aircraft.

Have you had any problems with ghosting brianjmac? Simicro returned his to Dell.

• Like 1

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

First, you have changed your resolution in DCS options? To 2560 x 1440.

These are my setting for the Normandy campaign, just so you can compare your settings, only running a 1070.

My in game fov, I think is around 90 to see more in the A10, to be accurately viewed (Everything looks right when moving head around), the setting is more around the 70 mark.

Hit left control + Pause twice to see the FOV at the top of screen, when in cockpit, you do know you can save the FOV and the standard default position permanently for each aircraft.

Have you had any problems with ghosting brianjmac? Simicro returned his to Dell.

Yes, the resolution in DCS was changed to 2560x1440.

Thank you for the FOV tips! I will have to try all of this out and I think it might be what I am looking for.

I have not tested the monitor extensively yet but so far I haven’ t noticed any ghosting. My first impression is that it’s by far the best monitor that I have ever had.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Your aspect ratio hasn't changed, it is still 16:9, so for a given vertical FOV you get the same horizontal FOV, although your new monitor has more pixels so a clearer image.

If you wanted to increase horizontal FOV without affecting vertical FOV you would get an Ultrawide monitor (or triple monitor setup); if you imagine your monitor as a window, an Ultrawide would simply widen the window, allowing you to see more at the sides. As David OC said, you can manually change your FOV in-game (using * and /) and then save at a setting you are happy with. You can also edit the SnapViews.lua file found here C:\Users\[your username]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\ to change default FOVs. I have an Ultrawide monitor and have most of mine set to 110. Below are some examples from the Widescreen Gaming Forum showing 16:9, 21:9 (ultrawide) and triple monitor views, with roughly the same vertical FOV.

ingame_16x9.jpg

ingame_21x9.jpg

ingame_3x1.jpg

Edited by Tone71

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I made sure GSYNC was on and the refresh rate was set to 144Hz in the Nvidia control panel. Let me know if there is anything else!

If G-SYNC is working correctly, when you turn on the OSD menu of your monitor, it will display that G-SYNC is on. For example: 2560 x 1440 144 Hz G-SYNC

You have excellent memory mate :thumbup:

...so far I haven’ t noticed any ghosting.

To be accurate, I did not notice ghosting in games.

However on contrasted web pages, with typically black characters on white background, the ghosting was terrible.

If you don't have any ghosting in any situation, all the best!

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

I have FOV on my throttle's thumb cooliehat <--> and seat/position up/down ( for props mainly ) with the cooliehat also up/down.

Those buttons and the TiR reset/hold are the only which are the same, across all aircraft

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have FOV on my throttle's thumb cooliehat <--> and seat/position up/down ( for props mainly ) with the cooliehat also up/down.

Those buttons and the TiR reset/hold are the only which are the same, across all aircraft

Hmm, you change the FOV w/ the Coolie? I didn't realize that. Interesting. I can't use it in VR, but still, I didn't know you could map that.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hmm, you change the FOV w/ the Coolie? I didn't realize that. Interesting. I can't use it in VR, but still, I didn't know you could map that.

/ and * on numpad

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thank you to all for the assistance! I was able to achieve the desired FOV by adding a slight negative value to the curvature for the zoom axis which is mapped to a rotary on my HOTAS.

If you wish you can also check out this thread for view configuration files. With a bit of tinkering you can set FOV exactly to required value for all modules. Though as already noted you shouldn't have as both 1080p and 1440p have the same aspect ratio - and it's the aspect ratio not the resolution that influences the FOV.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

• 2 weeks later...

I also have 3 - Dell S2716DG 27” 1440p 144hz GSYNC monitors using on Nvidia's Surround. The default settings produce an image very similar to Tone 71's bottom image where the left and right monitor images bend downward with that sharp angle in the horizon. Looks weird. Is that normal? Are there settings that produce a more natural looking image? Should I just run DCS with 3 monitors and not enable the Surround?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AmateurPilot