Syrian and Afghan theatre of operations confirmed! - Page 12 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #111
Pikey
Veteran

Incirlik, Akrotiri, North Israel (Ramat David) for the west side of the map, boxing the Syrian border on the east would contain so much potential for present and past conflict that it is unimaginable. Possibly as far north as Batman AFB, but i think there's UAV's only there. The Russian bases are of course diplomatic free enclaves like Khmeimim air base. The box size remains in the 400nm square region, similar to PG, but the density on that coast and Israel is pretty massive.

I'm sorry for not being enthused by Afghanistan as a map, Syria blows it out of the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-12-06 23_19_38-Google Earth Pro.png
Views:	131
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	199370  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:43 PM   #112
Tiramisu

Wow, so many interesting places! But it is a shame, that Israel as a whole is not mapped. I would have even liked to see the Sinai peninsula in there. Iraq needs also some love.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #113
Burning Bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickster View Post
Thing is, the way DSC handles maps/scenery is vastly different from XPlane or MSFS and it's not easily changed. ED is aware of this and there's word they'd be working on it, but don't expect them to be anytime soon.
To iterate: Currenty, it'd be hard to merge multiple maps into one and have it run with the same level of performance/graphical fidelity as any of the single maps and you couldn't do it yourself at home due to lack of source material and license issues.

From what I understand the magic word is "autogen".

The global maps in typical flight simulators is basically a 3d terrain model with some landuse layers from which the computer generates buildings, forest etc. That means small footprint but after a while things look odd and repeat themselves.

Interestingly, true professional photorealistic scenery, which model the exact features have roughly the same size as DCS (eg TrueEarth UK South) the same footprint on disk (+- 50 of Gigabyte), the same price (+- 50$) so there is not much difference. Those maps are big and cannot take on more than a few 100kms across.

I think what DCS could use in this regard is exactly the same: a global autogen scenery with coarse resolution that is used when we fly outside the map area. Right now the transition from best terrain model in the world to "less features than Mars" is a bummer.

But I don't think this is planned because it would be yet another major task that could take years.

Last edited by Burning Bridges; 12-07-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Burning Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #114
Stratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
Incirlik, Akrotiri, North Israel (Ramat David) for the west side of the map, boxing the Syrian border on the east would contain so much potential for present and past conflict that it is unimaginable. Possibly as far north as Batman AFB, but i think there's UAV's only there. The Russian bases are of course diplomatic free enclaves like Khmeimim air base. The box size remains in the 400nm square region, similar to PG, but the density on that coast and Israel is pretty massive.

I'm sorry for not being enthused by Afghanistan as a map, Syria blows it out of the water.
This area will be nice, as we have airfields for several sides, Turkey, Israel, NATO (in Cyprus), all Lebanon, all Syria...
Old 12-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #115
Pikey
Veteran

Yeah even the Greek/Turkish border is a minimap by itself. We have many enthusiastic Greek and Turkish simmers. As someone said above, it's a shame you can't get all of Israel. But then the same applies, you want the Egypt border then, more of Iraq, more of the mediterranean going towards Balkans, and it's not a great leap to join them across Turkey to Georgia. The real issue is where to stop, because of the sheer level of detail. I think that is the real issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
This area will be nice, as we have airfields for several sides, Turkey, Israel, NATO (in Cyprus), all Lebanon, all Syria...
Old 12-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #116
Tiramisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
The real issue is where to stop, because of the sheer level of detail. I think that is the real issue.
That is probably the biggest issue, but the problem is also that the detailed part of the map is bounded by a rectangle box. How about if instead some additional smaller rectangles at the edge of map were added so we can get a detailed map of the whole of Israel, while letting the rest of the southern edge of the map be less detailed.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #117
Burning Bridges

The Normandy map is definitely small. No matter which direction I go after a few minutes I always reach the area where the detail stops.

In that respect, I believe the chance is very high that people will rather be underwhelmed by the size of Syria than not.
Burning Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote