Strange engine malfunction - engine vibration?

GreenGriffon

Hi guys,

I'm working on a series of videos for YouTube that show some of my worst mishaps and crashes. I wanted to share these with my friends who are also going through some "growing pains" while they transition from LOMAC to Black Shark.

Anyway, in my second video, I crash just before I reach the runway. My main hydraulics were out along the way, then suddenly my pitched bucked upward, and the EKRAN kept saying "danger, engine vibration", followed by an engine fire right afterward that dropped me like a rock.

This is the clip (at about 1:20 is when this happens):

Any idea what I did to cause this? All I was trying to do was keep her slow and level enough to land.

Thanks for any insight,

GG

@Doomhawk - Ah, I had no idea. I thought it was something I did.

@Nate - Good point. I never saved the track, so I couldn't go back and record what my gauges looked like. I was recording that on-the-fly.

However if that particular problem was scripted, then I'm not terribly curious as to how it happened. I just thought it was my flying :)

Yeah, it was very surprising that the aircraft was mostly intact after I hit the ground (no pun intended).

I didn't realize until last week that you could script mechanical failures into missions, which is why I never bothered to look in the mission editor when this happened. Just thought it was my newb flying that caused it.

• 4 months later...

At 1:29 you had +5m/s climbrate and 6 sec later you had -6m/s climbrate.

Engine-vibration only(?) occurs when the rotor is not intact.

So i think there was a light rotor-clash caused by overpushing the cyclic to loose altitude to reach the runway. The RPM after the clash and before the fire was at 85 % (at 1:40). So overspeeding and engine-management-failure causes the engine-fire is doubtfull.

Other suggestions for this accident?

Edited by zdXu

You already had a warning on the EKRAN before the engine vibration killed your engine. Probably coming from the hydraulics, according to your description.

If you sustained damage, you have to watch for other damage-symptoms, as not all will cause a warning. You may have lost oil all the way or a problem with the engine controls.

So it's more likely cascading damage than a preprogrammed engine failure or something like that.

(Engine vibration can have various causes, from lack of oil and mechanical damage to collecting to much dust or ice.)

Edited by Feuerfalke

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD