Integrate USB Breathalyzer for High G Straining

LowRider88

As I understand it, you inhale and bear down. This pressure pushes the blood to the head.

Oh, there's a joke in there somewhere, but I don't want to offend you anymore. You've proven rather sensitive

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st. ;)

I used the breathalyzer... holy @#$!

Hey, I'm in favor of sending out my entire biometric telemetry out in the open. Not to forget an open mike that never shuts off... what else - oh, server controlled electro shocks. No, wait... Bill Gates controlled... :hehe:

Hey, I would actually support electroshocks in a VR shooter. In a flight sim, it's probably not appropriate. I don't think they could emulate ''MY LEG IS ON FIRE MY'' or the sudden jolt of impact with the ground.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Oh, there's a joke in there somewhere, but I don't want to offend you anymore. You've proven rather sensitive

I was thinking the same joke as I wrote it. I can take a joke from you, if it was in sincere friendship. I don't see myself as sensitive, and will reply back to those who are only here to criticize others with childish jargon.

I used the breathalyzer... holy @#$!

Hey, I'm in favor of sending out my entire biometric telemetry out in the open. Not to forget an open mike that never shuts off... what else - oh, server controlled electro shocks. No, wait... Bill Gates controlled... :hehe:

I am not talking about ID2020, but Thank you very much for bringing that to everyone's attention.

I never play in multiplayer, so I am not connected to the internet.

Even if I was, this idea is not about recording with a mic.

People are using mics all the time in DCS.

Any youtube video will show them doing this and they are not concerned about biometric tracking.

Even if they are concerned about biometric tracking, I doubt even Bill will care how often we breath in and out in the context of a flight sim.

The mic comment was separate. I only mentioned it as a logistical problem if anyone actually found interest in implementing a mock G breathing system.

quit junking up the thread i want my question answered

how does a breathalyzer simulate g breathing techniques i am curious

As you know, a breathalyzer is used to take in your breath, and based on the amount of alcohol particles you blow out, can determine the alcohol content in your breath as a way of determining how drunk you are. Previously only available to police, any one can buy one online now.

My idea was a way for the flight sim to gauge how much pressure you are able to build up from hiccing.

In real life, as I understand it, you inhale, and close your airway, and apply pressure as if you are exhaling, without exhaling. This pressure causes the blood to pool to the extremities, but since a real fighter pilot is wearing a G-suit, the blood has no place to go but to the head, keeping the pilot from blacking out in high G maneuvers, when the blood would pool to the feet otherwise.

Since on our limited flight simmer budgets we cannot afford to fly a real production fighter jet, or a G suit, a possible step in the direction of closer simulation may be if we were able to let our flight sim gauge how much air pressure were are able to push.

Rather than push against a G suit, we could "push" or breath into a breathalyzer that has a USB connection to the sim.

But I think you understood all this as you made the joke about the air pump.

I'm not sure but if someone is trying to do this hiccing thing on the ground for extended periods of time... might not be a good idea.

That is why I made the comment about calibration.

Also hiccing is pressure against a closed airway.

This idea is about blowing into device, which is not closed.

That is why I made the comment about calibration.

Also hiccing is pressure against a closed airway.

This idea is about blowing into device, which is not closed.

Got you.

Now, this telemetry stuff... just goofing off. I'm not worried about Bill... although, I have to admit that I'm watching closely what his former company is tinkering with;)

Got you.

Now, this telemetry stuff... just goofing off. I'm not worried about Bill... although, I have to admit that I'm watching closely what his former company is tinkering with;)

I won't comment any more about him. From what I've read, it is just too creepy.

Is that even possible for the average DCS player to afford and acquire?

Who said you have to breath into it for hours? You just have to breath into it when pulling Gs.

You can not do it and never experience it, or you can do what you suggest if you have a few thousand dollars lying around.

Does Thrustmaster even support this yet?

Real pilots "breath into a plastic tube for several hours".

No, of course I was being sarcastic. But the point was that there is more to the AGSM than just breathing a certain way. A LOT more. Just blowing air into a tube really means nothing on it's own. And how are you going to talk with the tube in your mouth? Pilots need to be able to talk on the radio even when pulling max gs.

And no, they are not breathing into a tube for several hours, they are breathing into a rubber mask. There's a difference.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

No, of course I was being sarcastic. But the point was that there is more to the AGSM than just breathing a certain way. A LOT more. Just blowing air into a tube really means nothing on it's own. And how are you going to talk with the tube in your mouth? Pilots need to be able to talk on the radio even when pulling max gs.

And no, they are not breathing into a tube for several hours, they are breathing into a rubber mask. There's a difference.

Okay, I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or just being illogical.

Yes, there is more to it. What's your point? To simulate the real thing would cost vastly more than what I was suggesting. So for you it is all or nothing? Then why bother playing a sim? You can do what the other guy said and get on a real production fighter plane.

No one said you had to have the tube in your mouth the entire time. That's why I mentioned the mic comment, remember? Because I would assume you go from one to the other as the game play requires.

What real fighter pilot is able to chat with his wingmen, while hiccing?

Yes they are breathing into a mask. Which is connected to a tube. Which they do for hours.

You are getting squeamish about minor technical differences, when the whole point of sim is there are differences because you can't just jump into a real life production fighter plane.

because you can't just jump into a real life production fighter plane.

Uhhh..... oh nevermind.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

As you know, a breathalyzer is used to take in your breath, and based on the amount of alcohol particles you blow out, can determine the alcohol content in your breath as a way of determining how drunk you are. Previously only available to police, any one can buy one online now.

My idea was a way for the flight sim to gauge how much pressure you are able to build up from hiccing.

In real life, as I understand it, you inhale, and close your airway, and apply pressure as if you are exhaling, without exhaling. This pressure causes the blood to pool to the extremities, but since a real fighter pilot is wearing a G-suit, the blood has no place to go but to the head, keeping the pilot from blacking out in high G maneuvers, when the blood would pool to the feet otherwise.

Since on our limited flight simmer budgets we cannot afford to fly a real production fighter jet, or a G suit, a possible step in the direction of closer simulation may be if we were able to let our flight sim gauge how much air pressure were are able to push.

Rather than push against a G suit, we could "push" or breath into a breathalyzer that has a USB connection to the sim.

But I think you understood all this as you made the joke about the air pump.

Ok, a couple of things. First off, what you're attempting to describe is not a breathalyzer - it is an actual medical instrument that gauges lung capacity. It's called a "Spirometer". They are sometimes used during initial screening for fighter pilots. A breathalyzer would do nothing to measure how well you're doing the G-strain. Even just the breathing portion of the G-strain.

2nd - your understanding of the entire physiology seems off. Either that, or your description is being lost in translation as I assume English is not your native language. Pressure from breathing against closed airway does NOT cause blood to pool in the extremities. Plain old gravity does that. Neither does the G-suit force the blood back to the head or heart. The vast majority of the G-strain is about tensing your muscles in your legs, butt, and abs to keep the blood from pooling due to gravity (Gs). The G-suit just helps your legs and abs to have something to strain against. The G-suit alone if you did nothing else would maybe get you 1 extra G from just resting and doing nothing else. The breathing is more to continue to supply oxygen to the brain and relieve lung pressure to allow the heart to refill with blood sooner.

Suggest you review this website and the videos to better understand what you're trying to achieve. https://goflightmedicine.com/agsm/#:~:text=in%20your%20browser.-,The%20Anti%2DG%20Straining%20Maneuver%20(AGSM),brain%20perfusion%20and%20pilot%20consciousness.

I understand what you're trying to get at, but I just don't think you realize what it entails and what parts you're missing to create the "experience".

These forums sure have been entertaining lately....

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Ok, a couple of things. First off, what you're attempting to describe is not a breathalyzer - it is an actual medical instrument that gauges lung capacity. It's called a "Spirometer". They are sometimes used during initial screening for fighter pilots. A breathalyzer would do nothing to measure how well you're doing the G-strain. Even just the breathing portion of the G-strain.

Even better. The the idea is for a Spirometer that can in the future be integrated to DCS for controlling backouts. Never heard of it before. Good to know it fits the idea even more.

2nd - your understanding of the entire physiology seems off. Either that, or your description is being lost in translation as I assume English is not your native language.

I've been speaking english for 44 years, so your assumption is incorrect. There are others on this thread who I would sooner question in terms of communication ability.

Pressure from breathing against closed airway does NOT cause blood to pool in the extremities.

If you inhale, hold your breath, and push, over time does not your face turn red? What causes the face to turn red?

Plain old gravity does that.

Yes, in the context of air combat, when pulling Gs.

Neither does the G-suit force the blood back to the head or heart. The vast majority of the G-strain is about tensing your muscles in your legs, butt, and abs to keep the blood from pooling due to gravity (Gs). The G-suit just helps your legs and abs to have something to strain against. The G-suit alone if you did nothing else would maybe get you 1 extra G from just resting and doing nothing else.

Yeah, so? What's your point? Did I argue against all this? The G suit constricts against the body, making less volume below for blood to flow, and helps to keep more of the blood in the upper body. What are you getting at?

The breathing is more to continue to supply oxygen to the brain and relieve lung pressure to allow the heart to refill with blood sooner.

Yeah, that is why this idea is to simulate what could be simulated with an off the shelf breathing device. The inhale, the exhale and the pressure. Not the G-suit.

You are complaining that the idea doesn't somehow cause the actual blood to pool around like the real scenario? Do you have a better idea?

Suggest you review this website and the videos to better understand what you're trying to achieve. https://goflightmedicine.com/agsm/#:~:text=in%20your%20browser.-,The%20Anti%2DG%20Straining%20Maneuver%20(AGSM),brain%20perfusion%20and%20pilot%20consciousness.

I understand what you're trying to get at, but I just don't think you realize what it entails and what parts you're missing to create the "experience".

I know exactly what I am trying to achieve by this suggestion.

Unless you have a better idea simulating this, this provide a way for simmers to overcome G blackouts in DCS. It may not simulate the physiological intricacies of the real situation. How can it for a device under $100? And for now, who cares if it doesn't?

With this idea, simmers can practice breathing control, and timing. That to me sounds like a new fun option to try in the future.

These forums sure have been entertaining lately....

Well maybe the forums were boring and weren't worth reading before because there are too may impatient, close minded, nay sayers harping about feature requests they want right this instant.