Flight Museums

Bedouin

Hi Community,

When this Corona lockdown is done, guessing sometime in autumn or winter. I would like to go on a little travel in Europe, but wanted to know, if you know of any world class aviation museums or smililar institutions in Europe, there would be worth a trip...

Thanks

best regards

Mo'

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

I loved the Luftwaffe museum at Berlin, their collection is mostly from the Cold War, but very extensive. The entry fee was very cheap and you can get there by regular bus.

CZvefmo.jpg

utbH2wZ.jpg

l8OuuXw.jpg

QvBSErA.jpg

uu34OxL.jpg

yBvRY5p.jpg

77HTx58.jpg

FDdEFro.jpg

NzlhDX0.jpg

n1yjGJj.jpg

G48UBUk.jpg

bQgDaju.jpg

GBWVS7j.jpg

FXSUcuI.jpg

LoaDoKS.jpg

3CPEWTD.jpg

mbqGqSL.jpg

29hOK7U.jpg

Their cafeteria sucks a bit, tough.

Another good Museum is the Austrian Army’s, at Vienna. It has a bit of everything: big ww1 ship models, a tank collection and a couple of Saab aircrafts:

n3ewU4j.jpg

baPtcfT.jpg

They have a lovely cafeteria, where you can leave your significant other while you roam through the museum.

Regards,

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks look interesting :)

And not so far from my City...

Go for it :thumbup: .. I was at Berlin only 2 whole days, but didn’t mind spending half a day at the Museum, it was a real gem :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks all for the cool suggestions, i will see which one will be this winter, and maybe another one in spring :)

The Berlin Museum is mostly outdoors, so I woudnt go there on Winter :(

In western Canada, Alberta has a few good ones:

in Wetaskiwin (near Edmonton), there is a car and aircraft museum, that includes a Hurricane, Voodoo, Tracker, and others

There is one at Cold Lake, but I haven't been there to really who what's there.

In Calgary, the Military Museum features Army Navy and Airforce displays, and for aircraft, there is a CF-5 (think F-5E Tiger) outside, they have a SeaFire and Banshee naval fighters, and now there is a display in the tents, that feature a Sabrejet F-86, a CF-104 Starfighter, and a CF-18A Hornet.

In Nanton, a tiny town about 45 minutes south of Calgary, there is a museum for Bomber Command. They have a Merlin on display, a Bf-109 (sorry no idea which sub-variant), and a Lancaster bomber. Yep. Full size intact Lancaster. They have a Tallboy bomb to display, and usually once a year, they'll tow it out of the hangar and fire up the Merlins!! No, sorry it's not airworthy. But, for an extra donation they sometimes let you go inside the Lancaster, which my brother and I did a few summers ago!

Edited by Rick50

Near Munich has a small museum, but they have a 109! and was the first time that I was able to take a look at one.
That's a very interesting sample, indeed. A Bf109E-1 pre-production aircraft, ex-Spanish Air Force, veteran of the Spanish Civil War. Interchanged wings with another E-3 with cannons, probably they thought it to be more alluring that way before giving it away. Wrongly and badly painted though, but typical of the time they got it anyway.

To OP, not like right now it's time for travels, but in Madrid Museum of the air holds several unique examples, a Buchón, a previously Hispano Suiza engined 109 also, the only remaining He-111E in the World, more Spanish built He-111, a Do-24, a Fiat Cr-32, a rebuilt I-15 made by original workers, many engines and weapons from unique aircraft like Do-17, He-112 fighter, and so on. Interesting visit.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Near Munich has a small museum, but they have a 109! and was the first time that I was able to take a look at one.

https://www.deutsches-museum.de/flugwerft/sammlungen/

IIRC the technical museum in Berlin also has a few aircraft on display (in addition to all the other interesting exhibits).

UK:

RAF Hendon

IWM Duxford

I haven't been to Cosford, but it should be worth a visit.