Carrier Into the Wind and BRC

hein22

So reading Wags supercarrier guide that he just posted I found something that I personally thought was going to be approached differently. First, we are still obligated to set the carrier waypoints so it goes into the wind. I thought the supercarrier was going to include a smart logic to do it by itself in case wind changes or the ship's route doesn't match the wind, but at the moment of launch or recovery it would automatically switch. Second, BRC. It would have been nice that ED included a BRC small window that showed the BRC based on the MVAR coded into the game at the specific location the ship is at, rather than having us calculating it ourselves. It says that we can also check the LSO station but not during early access.

Edited by hein22

Stay safe

If that's the case, there are a couple scripts out there that are easy to add. Wrench's Carrier Script works well with the JOHN C. STENNIS, and Air Boss apparently also does those things.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

I think the point is that when ED is modeling "most detailed and realistic simulation of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier ever created", and we are paying for that, it should be able to perform functions that are absolutely essential for naval flight operations without user created scripts.

My hope is that later in early access (maybe when airboss station?) they see the light and make this an option in the ME, similar to how you can change units ROE, etc. "Perform cyclic operations" or some other option in the ME would work.

• Like 1

I think the point is that when ED is modeling "most detailed and realistic simulation of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier ever created", and we are paying for that, it should be able to perform functions that are absolutely essential for naval flight operations without user created scripts.

My hope is that later in early access (maybe when airboss station?) they see the light and make this an option in the ME, similar to how you can change units ROE, etc. "Perform cyclic operations" or some other option in the ME would work.

Exactly that. Meaning no disrespect obviously. But was kind of dissapointed when I read the guide. My opinion only. Air boss station will need player to interact, and that's what I'm saying, the carrier should have an easy logic that can be made by ED with no effort. They code NASA stuff I imagine they can code a simple logic for this.

Stay safe

I dint think its so easy cause you simply can put the carrier everywhere and you need a logic which can detect the surrpunding and plot a course. Having zhe carrier simply turn into wind will make it crash against an island, other ships or go into the range of anti-ship weaponry.

Yeah, and I want to be able to drive the boat because ED is making the "most detailed and realistic simulation of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier ever created" and I am paying for it. It does not work like that.

For the ship turning into the wind, if its out of Early Access and there is no such feature, then we can ask again. EA never offers the full package, that is the entire idea, features will be added as time progresses. I believe they mentioned somewhere something like this would come in, do not have the exact post on hand.

The BRC thing. Marshal reports the BRC multiple times during approach. I dont think the real life Hornet pilots get a window in their face with the correct BRC corrected for MVAR. Either the BRC which the Marshal gives is already corrected for MVAR or the pilots do it themselves. If this really bothers you then I suppose somebody from ED can clear up which of the two is applied in real life. I for one could not care less, I just want to drive boats. Just another opinion in thousands.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

It was intended with sarcasm, forgot that you can actually drive it with CA. But are you telling me I have to buy CA seperately to drive it? I already paid for it!! (Again, sarcasm intended, but a very realistic answer)

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

CA has at least basic AI for all the units, does it not? That alone should prevent the carrier from running aground when trying to head into the wind. I have a feeling this is a feature ED didn't anticipate and if players make enough fuss they'll work it into their release plan.

“If the players make enough fuss”

Now that has to be the quote of the pandemic right there.....

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Second, BRC. It would have been nice that ED included a BRC small window that showed the BRC based on the MVAR coded into the game at the specific location the ship is at, rather than having us calculating it ourselves.

You can also switch your HSI to True Heading instead of Magnetic Heading.

It's simple :

• HSI Page
  • DATA osb (up-right)
  • A/C osb (up-left)
  • HDG MAG osb (right-middle) when pressed will become HDG TRUE

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

CA has at least basic AI for all the units, does it not? That alone should prevent the carrier from running aground when trying to head into the wind. I have a feeling this is a feature ED didn't anticipate and if players make enough fuss they'll work it into their release plan.

Build a AI to turn the carrier to wind and maintan them meanwhile ignore the mission editor orders, has not a easy task. That can be a task outside of recreate realistic plane crew operations on carrier, and ED has not "promise" any realistic bridge crew o carrier maneuver yet. That can require build some complex scripts and that take time, resources and crew.

About turn to the wing, I see only a simulator with that funtionality, and was "manual control". On the old "Dangerous Waters" OH Perry vessel. On the bridge was a wing envelope indicator and we need turn the ship to heading to maintain them into that sector to make helo operations safe. In carrier can be some similarly.

Minute 3:41

Other problem have, How maintanin BRC if someone build a mission with dinamic weather and wind change?

• ED Team

Hi all,

I have spoken with the lead dev, it is under consideration, if I hear anything I will let you know.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Well there are scripts for that already such as Moose Airboss.

Yes but come on ... that obviously should be included as a normal functionnality !

It's a BASIC of Naval Ops from an Aircraft Carrier ... the Boat should have an easy way to put the "Angled Landing Runway" right into the wind for recovery operations !!! :helpsmilie::cry::helpsmilie:

I am really very disappointed to hear that in this fantastic brand new module, where lots of time & efforts have been put into research of maximum realism, a so basic and useful functionnality has not been considered as important to as it should !!!

What a pity ...

:(:cry::(

Edited by RaiderOne

It should not be necessary to use 3rd party scripts in order to use the Super-C the right way.

And after all you need the Wind-Direction and Wind-Speed on the fly which as of now, DCS does not give that.

Add dynamic Weather and its even more painfull to set it up.

But we will see

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Imagine a mission with a wind coming from the south east, and the CSG is going from the east and into the gulf. IRL the carrier will change course for recovery if the wind is too strong. But how will we do in DCS to accomplish this? That was my question. Thanks ED for taking a look at this.

Stay safe

Maybe its not just important as you think. There is no dynsmic weather. So Wind allways csme from one direction. The mission editor put the carrier on a path and done.

Or simply no wind and the carrier do its own thing.

Or you Buy CA and you could do whatever you want with the carrier.