SU-33 and SVP-24

JunMcKill

This article is from September 2016, I bet that most of the SU-33 assigned to Syria, already had installed the SVP-24 and tested in the battlefield in about 1000 A2G missions

http://www.janes.com/article/63822/russian-carrier-based-su-33-fighters-receiving-new-bombing-computer

https://sputniknews.com/military/201702031050311305-admiral-kuznetsov-air-wing-syria/

• 2 weeks later...
I think a new MFD was also installed along with this SVP-24 modification...

?? Out of curiosity, where? Don't see it in either image.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

?? Out of curiosity, where? Don't see it in either image.

In the Kunz picture you see that the MFD is not equal to the vanilla SU-33 (in the picture the MFD have buttons below like the A-10C/F-15C MFDs), the original SU-33 MFD was like the SU-27 (pic below)

cockpit_of_sukhoi_su-33_2.jpg

Now the SVP-24 MFD in MAKS 2005 is the one of this picture and is 12 years old now

SVP-24_MAKS-2005_01.JPG

Edited by JunMcKill

In the Kunz picture you see that the MFD is not equal to the vanilla SU-33 (in the picture the MFD have buttons below like the A-10C/F-15C MFDs), the original SU-33 MFD was like the SU-27 (pic below)

cockpit_of_sukhoi_su-33_2.jpg

Interesting picture because I don't see the SPO-15 Beriyosa. Maybe one of the early TK test aircraft?

Now that you mention it, no, and I just did a search and couldn't find one.

No I have never seen one either.

The plot thickens. :book:

Indeed. I don't think the Su-33 ever had the SPO-15.

Attached are images of five different Su-33 cockpits - the first one is the same pit(T10K-5) as JunMcKill posted, while(AFAIK) the rest are of later in-service aircraft.

Note the area below/to the right of the Ekran display.... all with slightly different layout and if you view them in the order I numbered them, you can see how it evolved.

Image 2: First they moved the fuelgauge(to a bracket on top of the IPV).

Image 3: then deleted the small panel(with 2 switches) below the Ekran - blanked with a cover plate.

Image 4: then moved a dial to that position and moved several announciators, creating a cutout beside the Ekran where an SPO-15 display could fit(but covered).

Image 5: this space now holds a different display - possibly for the L150 Pastel RWS.

1.thumb.jpg.238028884ca835f815e7f7b408bb168d.jpg

2.jpg.6e7acda4b07fab99f37cd925b5e7f672.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.bbe23663793cf3495e3ac41535258047.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.261e5111174bd4554673e3b2af6bee26.jpg

5.jpg.d5759080a60e33902869c6463558c29f.jpg

^^^Interesting again. I think we're opening a can of beans here.

Do you have any pictures of the HUD with the Beryoza. Is it a separate mode you need to enter into to get the RWR display or is it integrated into BVR mode? The latter makes the most sense IMO.

I think that FC3 level SVP-24 and L-150 PASTEL system would be great additions to make the Su-33 more current and interesting to fly in DCS.

Definitely. Systems like the SVP-24 and L-150 would make the Su-33 a very competent multi-role carrier strike fighter which would go very well with the forthcoming Kuznetsov upgrade module. Flying the baseline Su-27 and Su-33 against the likes of the F-14, F-18 and EF-2000 is going to be Hard Mode.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

First sorry for late reply,

Wow, possibly the first picture of the L-150 PASTEL system? Thanks for the pics, a really interesting post. :thumbup:

You are welcome - yes it looks like it :)

If that's the L-150 PASTEL system, I really wonder what other radar goodies is the Su-33 hiding?

AFAIK none so far - it appears the only new things in regards to the recent upgrade, concerns the RWR, MFD and the SVP-24 bomb delivery system. There may also be some other subtle enhancements required for the SVP-24 system to work - e.g. I remember in regards to the Su-25SM there was some mention of improvements to basic instrumentation(such as speed indication), because the old wasn't accurate enough.

Before L150 installed, all Su-33 of course had Beryoza RWR..

"Of course" - where did you get that impression?.

Anything I have seen(cockpit layouts of various aircraft as posted above and statements from "people in the know") seems to indicate that prior to the recent upgrade, the Su-33 didn't have an RWR at all.

...just indication was on HUD not on separate display like in others aircrafts. Similar situation was on Su-25T.

How would you get all the information of the SPO-15 displayed on the HUD?. I could possibly understand if you meant the HDD. But then that(graphic display symbology) is one of the things associated with the L-150, so it would be more likely in connection with this.

Anyway, the L-150 Pastel system was in development already from mid eighties and slated for aircraft under development in the late eighties such as the MiG-29M/MiG-29K and Su-27M(Su-35). The Su-33 and Su-25T both fit that timeframe as well and IIRC the L-150 was in fact flight tested on the Su-25T.

^^^Interesting again. I think we're opening a can of beans here.

Do you have any pictures of the HUD with the Beryoza.

I would like to see that too :)

Is it a separate mode you need to enter into to get the RWR display or is it integrated into BVR mode? The latter makes the most sense IMO.

Well its not the latter. I have an official chart somewhere showing the various operating modes of the SUV-33 and these do not differ from those of the Su-27.

Well its not the latter. I have an official chart somewhere showing the various operating modes of the SUV-33 and these do not differ from those of the Su-27.

Well, I wouldn't put it past these ruskies putting beryoza on the HUD or HDD. Maybe the charts you have are of an earlier test model or something.

This is a picture of the new MFD functions including the L-150 Pastel of Venezuelan SU-30MK2

su-27m10.jpg

In the MIG-29SMT, you can have both, the new variante of RWR and the original from the SPO-15

mig-2910.jpg

Edited by JunMcKill
  • Like 1