ENG MODE SELECT

Vertigo72

I was just flying in my tomcat, when at cruising altitude one of my engines would "backfire" or have a compressor stall or I dont know what, other than making loud BANGS. Also the after burner wouldnt come on for that engine.

First I thought I took some damage, but looking around the cockpit I discovered I had accidentally clicked the right engine "Eng Mode Select" and put it in SEC(ondary):

asym.png

Flipping it back solved it. But now Im curious what this does?

Secondary is a reversionary mode that works closer to the metal, but also eliminates some of the fancy Guide vane and anti-compressor stall functions.

You were correct in assuming they were compressor stalls you were hearing.

Basically aside from Preflight, you should never need to use Secondary unless something breaks/gets shot.

Of note, while trying to find which manual explained secondary mode I found that, at least in the F-14D, SEC mode is engaged by the paddle switch in addition to the mode switches. Not sure if that's present in the B since it's not in HB's manual and I don't have a copy of a B NATOPS.

Secondary is a reversionary mode that works closer to the metal, but also eliminates some of the fancy Guide vane and anti-compressor stall functions.

You were correct in assuming they were compressor stalls you were hearing.

It always amazes me how much work HB has put into simulating the engines (as well as other systems), including even such details for backup modes, that most players never really use. :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It always amazes me how much work HB has put into simulating the engines (as well as other systems), including even such details for backup modes, that most players never really use. :thumbup:

I suspect it goes even further. Yesterday I heard some really soft repetitive banging noises like every 3 seconds or so. Much much softer than the compressor stall. First I thought it was AAA firing in the distance but it really seemed to come from my plane. Changing the throttle to idle or full after burner made it go away. Changing the mode select made it go away for a while, but then it returned.

I have no idea what it was. Maybe it was a bug, maybe it was aaa and pure coincidence. But the f14 being modeled so meticulously actually convinced me there was something going on with the engines and made me check and try things I would never even consider in a different sim.

I know, fingers crossed the 500# gorilla reaches out to them for 3rd party development.

I think everyone knows who I'm talking about.

i have no idea but id love to know

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

FS2020 will support third party content, so id guess MS is the gorilla. Now if fs2020 makes for a viable platform for a military simulation, I have very serious doubts and flying a tomcat against 747s isnt all that fun. But just imagine DCSW 3 (or 4 or 5) being a FS2020 addon.. all of the current DCS goodness with a jaw dropping graphics and VR engine. That would be something.

Edited by Vertigo72

FS2020 will support third party content, so id guess MS is the gorilla. Now if fs2020 makes for a viable platform for a military simulation, I have very serious doubts and flying a tomcat against 747s isnt all that fun. But just imagine DCSW 3 (or 4 or 5) being a FS2020 addon.. all of the current DCS goodness with a jaw dropping graphics and VR engine. That would be something.

shut up and take my money :D

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Even if not, any heatbur airframe would be top notch.