3-position command for the flaps

royphsle

Heatblur Simulations please make a 3-position command for the flaps in the Tomcat, like up-take off-landing position. It's very hard to use the mouse for flaps position, so I hope they can make it soon.

-royphsle

F-16C:thumbup:

i7-4790 CPU 3.60GHz | 16 GB RAM | MSI GTX-960 Gaming 4GB | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I use the friction slider on my WH, with this I can set them any way I want, although I normally only ever use them full up or full down.

I see but I use the slider for zooming.

-royphsle

i7-4790 CPU 3.60GHz | 16 GB RAM | MSI GTX-960 Gaming 4GB | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I see but I use the slider for zooming.

I never use the zoom tbh, thats why I set it on the slider. As Draconus said flaps are always used either full up or down, but could be set anywhere in between if desired.

The Tomcat has enough thrust to overcome full flaps unlike some other Airframes. It was designed for the Navy to takeoff from a catapult where you want maximum lift off the deck. If you're taking off from land you can get off the ground quickly or just let it roll out since you have ample runway. There really isn't other phase of flight where an intermediate setting is beneficial. It may not be efficient, but we're not flying airliners either.

Im confused. There is an axis command for "DLC / manœuvre flaps". with the flaps up and the wings swept forward,I can use it to adjust flaps between 0 and 28%. Though not as an axis, but as it if where a 3 way button to increase or decrease flaps (and as the DLC buttons work). And the tomcat also seems to deploy that automatically? If the landing flaps are down, that axis does work to gradually adjust DLC.

Edited by Vertigo72

Im confused. There is an axis command for "DLC / manœuvre flaps". with the flaps up and the wings swept forward,I can use it to adjust flaps between 0 and 28%. Though not as an axis, but as it if where a 3 way button to increase or decrease flaps (and as the DLC buttons work). And the tomcat also seems to deploy that automatically? If the landing flaps are down, that axis does work to gradually adjust DLC.

You're confusing auxiliary flaps with maneuvering flaps.

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#flaps-and-slats

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I wasnt so much confused about the difference as I am about their control. The maneuvering flap axis for me doesnt work as a progressive axis, where it should if I read the F14 manual right (I use the rudder/flapy padels on my TWCS throttle for this). The position of the paddle doesnt control the position of the flaps, its controls "more" or "less" flaps. That same binding does work as a direct, progressive axis for DLC. But for DLC I use binary buttons instead. Maybe that is the problem, that I have both binary and axis bindings for the DLC/flaps, Ill test some more.

I wasnt so much confused about the difference as I am about their control. The maneuvering flap axis for me doesnt work as a progressive axis, where it should if I read the F14 manual right (I use the rudder/flapy padels on my TWCS throttle for this). The position of the paddle doesnt control the position of the flaps, its controls "more" or "less" flaps. That same binding does work as a direct, progressive axis for DLC. But for DLC I use binary buttons instead. Maybe that is the problem, that I have both binary and axis bindings for the DLC/flaps, Ill test some more.

Keep in mind that manuevering flaps manual control only works in certain speed range and wings swept forward. DLC usees the same controls (on the stick). Flaps (auxiliary) use different controls - the lever on throttle quadrant.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Edit: After talking to one of our SME's it does indeed sound like they should have a full range of motion as set by the lever. I'll talk to the other guys and see if we can add some more binds for it.

Last edited by Naquaii; 03-17-2019 at 09:08 PM.

I saw another post in which a SME confirmed the ability to set flaps any where between full up and full down, but I can't find that one.

Yes, the flap handle is a continuous movement, it’s only the slots that it sits in that make it a 2-position up or down. Very few crew would ever attempt to really manipulate the flaps in a dogfight, though. The flight regime where they wouldn’t break was extremely small. More than 220 knots or 2g and they’re going to break (the torque tubes would snap) and then you’re screwed. So if HB were to modify the module and make them an axis, they should also model just how easy it is to lock them out, in order to be realistic. The Grim Reapers did one of their videos with a guy showing how you could dogfight using the flaps and it was total BS. Gave a lot of guys the impression that using the flaps in a dogfight was the way to go. I guarantee you that if the flap damage was modeled realistically, guys just wouldn’t mess with it.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

I don't understand this, I have heard that you can take off with half or flaps down in the Tomcat, so why not make a 3-position command for the flaps and call it flaps up-half-down, or 2-position command up-down? I want to use the flaps switch on my Warthog throttle for flaps positions, and I cant use buttons because they are in use.

-royphsle

I don't understand this, I have heard that you can take off with half or flaps down in the Tomcat, so why not make a 3-position command for the flaps and call it flaps up-half-down, or 2-position command up-down? I want to use the flaps switch on my Warthog throttle for flaps positions, and I cant use buttons because they are in use.

Half flaps in the Tomcat is just not a thing. For takeoff you either use full flaps or you use maneuver flaps. You should already have maneuver flaps mapped, since it’s the same control as DLC and you really can’t get by landing on the boat without DLC.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

I'm still making final tweaks to the flap torque tube damage model, but the first pass is in current OB/today's hotfix.

So did the torque tube damege tweaks actually make it in? Because the hotfix log by BigNewy has not a single mention of them, not that that means much with EDs sloppy changelogging.

Regards,

Snappy

What's the procedure for maneuver flap takeoff? Dip them down just before rotation speed?

Lower them as soon as you put the wings out. Nothing special.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

Half flaps in the Tomcat is just not a thing. For takeoff you either use full flaps or you use maneuver flaps. You should already have maneuver flaps mapped, since it’s the same control as DLC and you really can’t get by landing on the boat without DLC.

Yes I have but what about making 2-position command, flaps up-down? I really want to use the flaps switch on the throttle.

-royphsle