Once and forever, let me explan what OPEN BETA is meant for.

LordOrion

OP, unfortunately that doesn't hold much water, if at all.

In practice, "stable" is often about as buggy, sometimes gets patched very late and thus stays with those bugs, and people who buy a newly released product are often have to go and get open beta anyway, because it's never certain when will it get to "stable". A most recent (though perhaps also extreme) example would be JF-17: one of the most stable releases of a module in DCS, but it stayed exclusive to open beta for more than half a year. Due to these kinds of reason, most popular multiplayer servers stick to open beta as well, further cementing open beta being the de-facto "normal branch".

Yeah, people aren't whining, they are voicing fairly justified frustration. In this particular case, even ED representatives admitted as much multiple times, at least for this particular patch. If you don't like seeing that, you may consider not reading the forums, instead of "whining" as you put it.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

What a pile of opiniated bull. Its not even original. Plagiarism at its most visible. Stop "whining" and acting like your opinions matter.

My DCS future budget they wont take cause of this, oh they matter to them.

And now you should ask yourself why it isn't a more competitive market and maybe just maybe adjust your expectations somewhat.

You don't really pay A+++. It is a complex product so if it was developed and maintained by the standards you expect, it would have cost much more and presumably people are not willing to pay for that as otherwise you'd have seen some competition to ED surely by now.

Well it might be complicated for my wife, but ED is 17 years in this almost same engine.

Other people Study and become doctors in 8 years.

How complicated can something be if you work so many years to it.

This thing my friend is Marketing strategy.

ED has many many many inside problem regarding project management.

I'm guessing stable is like how it is because of all the whining that stable hadn't seen an update in so long, (probably out of ignorance at just how much of a mess 2.5.6 is) so just getting something out the door was made more of a priority. When really, it could've probably been given another month...

Stable has always been a workable OB build, maybe the definition of 'workable' has been tested with this latest one, but that's how it always was.

Fact is, is that 2.5.6 is an absolute minefield and no amount of screeching is gonna fix it any faster. Is this is a lesson to ED? Absolutely, I think 2.5.6 and the stable release of it were at best a little rushed (I can only imagine what things were like at the start of the year) while I'm not that much affected personally in my stable build, what with my measly missions where typically it's one aircraft and nothing else, I have come across some pretty major and often game-breaking issues, that while I'm disappointed about them, I'm hopeful they'll get rectified in due course.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Op,

I don’t suppose once and forever you can explain to me who shot Kennedy could ya?

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Stop offering pre-purchase discounts and only offer a module/terrain etc when it launches to stable once the closed beta testers have had their way with it. Offer a discount for the first week or two of launch to stable. That way people are not forced to use OB to get access to their hard paid for modules. Servers would probably revert to stable for the most part too.

The current system is a shambles and is only going to get worse.

It also does nothing to instill confidence in me about the future of ED to be quite frank. With all this pushing things out too early and trying to launch module after module it makes me wonder if the books are actually balancing at all.

Is it all because of working at a distance? Maybe a little but the problems have been going on far longer than the current pandemic.

As i posted in another thread, the recent OBs feel more like open alphas and that needs to change but i don't think ED slowing things down is the answer i think they need a real change in strategy.

That's my thoughts done for now lol

Call me tomorrow for a different opinion :P

They can release as many public versions as they want and call them as they want, beta gamma whatever. I just hardly believe a software company in more competitive market would survive with the QA level of ED.

True but if their version of beta isn’t what the industry standard is then it’s pretty misleading to the consumer.

Yay after all these years we finally know what Open Beta is!!

:D

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

OP, you are part of the massive problem in the DCS community.

Thank you for wasting your time and ours in posting this.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

2cP68zZaSJO5U2Meyh2g7DkFqInv4GfAEq9Xil9oxScHgGZPlNO_fc1KabIOTQ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

THERE IS NO MEAN TO CRY/WHINE/COMPLAIN: if you find a bug in OB report it to devs, they will take care of it ASAP.

The bug forum and the long running bugs from years ago would disagree with your statement.

I'm a little bored to see tons of whine/complain thread/post any time a new Open Beta (OB) update broke something or add 1000+ bugs, so let me explain what the OB is meant for and why/when one should use it instead of using the Stable:

As the name says OB is an under-development branch of the game client that includes all the new feature and which is "Open" to everyone FOR TESTING PURPOSES.

That means, the OB IS and WILL ALWAYS BE prone to be bugged and/or broken at each update (deal with that).

Cleared that, it should be used to TEST NEW FEATURES, FIND BUGS and REPORT THEM to devs.

OB is not (again IS NOT) a full-feature version of the game client, if you use it for something different than testing and report bugs you are doing it at you own risk. If you can't accept/understand that OB can be easily bugged by its own nature, then go play the Stable Version and leave the OB to others.

THERE IS NO MEAN TO CRY/WHINE/COMPLAIN: if you find a bug in OB report it to devs, they will take care of it ASAP.

Cheers :joystick:

And you are ..... ?

2cP68zZaSJO5U2Meyh2g7DkFqInv4GfAEq9Xil9oxScHgGZPlNO_fc1KabIOTQ

Dissenting opinions?

Don't be absurd.

Also to everyone getting all teasy, the button you're looking for is in the top right of your screen.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Well it might be complicated for my wife, but ED is 17 years in this almost same engine. Other people Study and become doctors in 8 years. How complicated can something be if you work so many years to it.

It doesn't even compare. If they only needed to study their code, they would have been doctors of it within a few months, but unfortunately that's not what's required of them. They have to constantly innovate to update the engine and develop new stuff which is not what's required of most doctors.

The entire code base has been rewritten several times already by now and with countless additions for all the new systems, FM's and what not added, updated, modified, removed and what not.

The only advantage over doctors is that nobody dies when they mess up a release although that's not what you'd assume reading some of the comments here.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Once and forever, let me explan what OPEN BETA is meant for.

I'm a little bored to see tons of whine/complain thread/post any time a new Open Beta (OB) update broke something or add 1000+ bugs, so let me explain what the OB is meant for and why/when one should use it instead of using the Stable:

As the name says OB is an under-development branch of the game client that includes all the new feature and which is "Open" to everyone FOR TESTING PURPOSES.

That means, the OB IS and WILL ALWAYS BE prone to be bugged and/or broken at each update (deal with that).

Cleared that, it should be used to TEST NEW FEATURES, FIND BUGS and REPORT THEM to devs.

OB is not (again IS NOT) a full-feature version of the game client, if you use it for something different than testing and report bugs you are doing it at you own risk. If you can't accept/understand that OB can be easily bugged by its own nature, then go play the Stable Version and leave the OB to others.

Well my friend...you will get a big +1 by me...

The last phrase especially is what I think....

The open beta/early access model is not meant for everyone...

If you cannot accept blocking bugs...use the release and don’t complain in this way...do you want to help?report and provide tracks...

For the ones who says that also the release has bugs...well software free of bugs doesn’t exist sorry...

But if you do happen to find blocking bugs on the release...then you can be a bit more vocal (within the limits of good behaviors and kindness)...but i guess it is really difficult to have blocking bugs in the release.

Then bigger servers that host big events...even the ones with prizes should be on the release...

I don’t think there is a game out there were such kind of events are hosted on a beta branch...well because a beta is meant to be cutting edge and break things....

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

A practical solution would be to push new modules to Stable, as well to OB, so people is not *forced* to stay on OB to have them.

Later, use OB to try new minor features, changes, etc. so using OB to contribuiting to testing would really be opt-in only.

Other companies are doing this way.

My 2 cents.

A practical solution would be to push new modules to Stable, as well to OB, so people is not *forced* to stay on OB to have them.

Later, use OB to try new minor features, changes, etc. so using OB to contribuiting to testing would really be opt-in only.

Other companies are doing this way.

My 2 cents.

Problem is the modules themselves are unfinished beta.. aka Early Access.

ED knows how the process should be. But they can't do it because they have to sell these unfinished modules to make money. And then people are angry that they're unfinished and stops buying... vicious cycle.

Well my friend...you will get a big +1 by me...

The last phrase especially is what I think....

The open beta/early access model is not meant for everyone...

If you cannot accept blocking bugs...use the release and don’t complain in this way...do you want to help?report and provide tracks...

For the ones who says that also the release has bugs...well software free of bugs doesn’t exist sorry...

But if you do happen to find blocking bugs on the release...then you can be a bit more vocal (within the limits of good behaviors and kindness)...but i guess it is really difficult to have blocking bugs in the release.

Then bigger servers that host big events...even the ones with prizes should be on the release...

I don’t think there is a game out there were such kind of events are hosted on a beta branch...well because a beta is meant to be cutting edge and break things....

I don't agree that we are only allowed to complain when the bugs are game-breaking and they are on the stable version. There are no rules like this.

Open beta and EA modules are open to the public. So it is meant for everyone unless ED changes that. EA modules are basically ED saying “Do you want this module? Pay us the money first then we will finish it and give it to you few years later, but you can play the unfinished product now." They need the money to support the development since it takes them forever.

We are not responsible for reporting bugs, we are not volunteers.

All software has bugs but that is not an excuse. Especially when the bugs are because of poor testing and quality control.

The server admins do not listen to you or care about your opinion. They will run the servers on OB anyway despite all the bugs.

Edited by SCPanda

What the Eagle Dynamics "Open Beta" is NOT:

A beta build.

What the Eagle Dynamics "Open Beta" IS:

An Alpha build

With all those experts here from software developing and business management my only question is, why haven't anybody started their own company becoming a competitor to ed? If you manage to do a couple of things better than ed you should have a huge customer base regarding a lot of comments here. All you need is a good business plan and a kickstarter campaign.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

Since when EA products are OB only? This is pure bullshit, free criticism with absolutely no facts to support it.

I don't see anyone criticizing EA are OB only. festr only asked a question and I simply said EA themselves are unfinished beta. Did not say EA was only "for" OB.

Just take criticism as feedback, acknowledge it and move on. Half ass defenses and criticizing the critics turning it into arguments is making it worse.

Also transparency. There was a post regarding why the previous release had obvious bugs. That post was good to see what actually happened and understand the process. But thread was closed.

Edited by Taz1004

With all those experts here from software developing and business management my only question is, why haven't anybody started their own company becoming a competitor to ed? If you manage to do a couple of things better than ed you should have a huge customer base regarding a lot of comments here. All you need is a good business plan and a kickstarter campaign.

That is a rather strange argument. Just because I can say a certain hamburger company makes terrible sandwiches doesn't mean I should go and launch another chain. No, I'll voice my opinion then wait for those with the means to step in to fill the void.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals