F-100D Super Sabre ( PLus F100D "Late")

Kev2go

F-100D Super Sabre ( PLus F100D "Late")  

173 members have voted

1. 1. F-100D Super Sabre ( PLus F100D "Late")

• Yes, F100D please
    • Only F100D Super sabre "late" with An/APR 25 RWR
    • Both F-100D and F100D "late"
    • No

Title says it all. Especially with Razbam creating a Mig19S it be nice to include Americas first Century series Fighter, which was also their First supersonic fighter just like the Mig19 was USSR's first supersonic capable jet.

Specifically though the definitive F100D "fighter-Bomber" version which saw extensive use IN Vietnam. IN fact it has the Status quo of flying the most sorties of any US aircraft is Southeast Asia.

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/f-100-super-sabre-flew-most-missions-in-vietnam/

f-100d_62937.jpg

IF any Developer takes on this project id hope for the sake of having greater versatility and use in missions, and for it to be more useful in maps that have some degree of air defenses to Include a very Late modification.

Whilst the F100F for the wild weasel role IS the most known version to have been fitted with Radar Warning Receivers, and Agm45 capability. Some F100D's were also refitted to have AN/APR 25 Radar warning receivers.

This is interesting to share about the lesser known variant of the F100.

Secondary source "f100's at war"

Ngealr8.png

Primary Source, last revised manual from 1973 shows references of Radar warning receiver being applicable to F100D's, (at the expense of External Fuel tank Indicator it seems)

Typical Hun cockpit ( Post Project High wire 1964+)

7nWofBP.png

Late modded Hun Circa 1968 and beyond ( with An/APR 25 RWR)

M3OaHMV.png

APR25/26 RWR functionality

Documentation collection

https://mega.nz/folder/qigGCCoS#lrbfmMeyb-nAHQWk9Nwy6g

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Late F-100D's could also carry external ECM pods.

uE1UTfj.png

Other stores include everything from Mk80 series ( Mk81, Mk82, MK82 Snakeye, MK83) , CBU cluster bombs, Mk20 Rockey, M117 750 Lbs , to BLU FIrebombs, and LAU rocket pods.

Innermost pylons can accept Multiple bombs with TER racks. Either X2 M117 or up to X3 Mk82's. Interim and Outer Pylons only Single bombs.

LRFdEs7.png

EXV8bsf.png

However rockets only on the outermost hardpoints.

jUr2wkG.png

Some blocks of the F-100D can fire the Agm12 bullpop ( and associated stick control panel) radio guided missile.

The F100D was also capable of carrying IR missiles. On its innermost pylons it is wired to mount up x2 per station. (totaling 4).

According to the manual the Aim9's Range from Aim9B to Aim9J models.

Post Vietnam Service ANG F100's were reffited to have more reliable F102 Afterburners that were taken from storage thanks to the idea of Crew cheifs.

617f4b32a204f143dc7a99fde238217e.jpg

f-100-super-sabr-4d7f148d55c5c.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The Super Saber, even without a tail hook, would definitely be a first day buy for me! :thumbup: One of the most beautiful planes in the century series.

It does have a tail hook for emergency landings, just not suitable IRL for carrier operations. (Kinda like the F5E) , but it also has aerial refueling and Autopilot as standardized features.

And despite being the First of the Century Series it hasan extremely long Sevice History. After 1971 it was removed from active duty service but last ANG Hun was not retired until 1979.

Plus It also had export service with France, Denmark, Taiwan, and Turkey. So Such a module for DCS also has the potential for foreign Skins to represent other nations. :thumbup:

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

+1 Oh the SF2 nostalgia

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I'm sure Super Sabre will come to DCS eventually. It's a question when rather than if :) With MiG-21 and F-5 in place as also MiG-19 and F-4 in development DCS really needs F-100, F-105 and A-4 :)

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Not bad aircraft, with a great quantity of Korea / Vietnam armament.

F-100, F-104 and A-4 has necessary no only to a "Vietnam" conflict, that can use on some sceneries:

- f-100

Vietnam war

Algerian war

Cyprus crisis

Taiwan crisis

- F-104

Vietnam war

Indian / Pakistan war

Taiwan crisis

- A-4

Vietnam war

Falkland war

Arab Israel war

Gulf war

And of course on a mid-late World War III and a Cuban missile crisis scenery.

• 3 weeks later...

Still 1 HUn flying ( albeit its a F100F)

From a 2017 airshow.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

The Super Saber would be a cool and interesting jet to have in DCS. Just be forewarned that it is not an easy air frame to learn to fly and master.

Take a look at this great video of former F-100 Pilots that got a chance to fly in it again. Pay attention to what one of the pilots say about the Hun at 2:40.

Edited by Evoman

The Super Saber would be a cool and interesting jet to have in DCS. Just be forewarned that it is not an easy air frame to learn to fly and master.

Take a look at this great video of former F-100 Pilots that got a chance to fly in it again. Pay attention to what one of the pilots say about the Hun at 2:40.

Link not working

might not be as easy to fly like the F86 or F5, but it cant be too bad. Flew this thing is SF and P3D. as long as you didnt go below 250 knots or down pitch up too fast ( or prematurely) during take off or pull high AOA's in general you should be A0A OK ( pun intended), it was only really bad when you pulled too much AOA at the lower speed region.

Most of bad rep came from the F100A and C models, the worst of the bad handling characteristics had been ironed with the D model F100D was redesigned to incorporate longer wingspan by 26 inches, and a longer vertical tail area increased to be 27% larger.

With regard to the engine, if you get a flameout, then its not the end of the world in any way as it can automatically restarted in mid air with a single switch similar to a Mig21. Compressor stalls generally only happened if you Pushed the throttle up much to fast. YOu just have to know the Do's and Dont's of the aircraft's operational limitations.

Late Huns in ANg service also had F102 AB reffited. So AB nont engaging because you moved the thorttle too fast shouldn't occur with those burners

Mig21Bis was not without its quirks too. Most notably getting used to the Delta wings characteristics. high speed landings, and lack thereof ( resulting in dropping like a rock and cracking the Landing gear, and driving around wobbly on crooked gear), and avoiding heavy AOA under 500 KMH to avoid entering into an aggressive stall spin.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

• 8 months later...

I would like to have this aircraft to fly. Our local flight school is owned by a guy who served as Crew Chief for the F100D during Cold War and was stationed in Germany. He told me how much he loved working on these planes and about some peculiararities they had (for example, at certain airspeeds when coming in to land, the ailerons would start working in reverse and cause crashes, and the fix was to use the rudder to steer in these situations). He said that when he was on duty he had to be at the ready for a pilot nearby so they could both get the fighter ready if the stuff hit the fan in East Germany. He would be willing to help with whatever he can during development if they really want to make this plane for DCS World. He knows quite a bit about other Century Series fighters too, but the F100D was his baby. He's in his late 70's now so hopefully this plane could be started soon and he could help while he still has all his memories sharp.

Here is the link to the video I had tried posting. I don't know why its so darn difficult to embed a video in these forums. Anyways make sure to pay attention about what they say about the care that must be taken to avoid a crash in an F-100 at 2:40min.

_

• 1 month later...

bump.

found this video on AN/APR25 RWR

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I'd like to see one of these at some point, as this era of fighters are the ones I find really interesting, although I'll admit my first preferences would be the F-104 and F-105.

It's shame the TeamVRC mod team working on their F-100 decided to stop as their videos were showing promise.

The Model, while pretty after significant work, was grossly incorrect, so many errors and incorrect shapes, it's far from a DCS Standard.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The Model, while pretty after significant work, was grossly incorrect, so many errors and incorrect shapes, it's far from a DCS Standard.

So is there a plan to continue to develop F-100?

To decrease the workload and make things faster. Its simply better to opt for just the LATE F-100 version only.

It seems most want BOTH...

It already takes 2-3 years for a single module to formulate and people voted for that needs even more extra work!:huh:

Edited by jojyrocks