anyone know of a step by step setup guide to Quest & DCS?

subseauk

hi all,

Does anyone know of a step by step setup guide using Oculus Quest & DCS?

I have just received my new Quest and have managed to get a display on it but not the Look around VR view! I am probably missing something obvious but as a total newb to DCS and recent returner to PCs I am not sure what.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:thumbup:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VI HERO motherboard ( latest bios etc )

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Corsair Domiinator Platinum 32 GB (4x8Gb ) 3600MHz RAM

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11Mb graphics card

Samsung 860 1TB SSD ( Boot up and main program storage )

WD 2TB 7600rpm hdd

Fractal S36 AIO CPU Cooler

200MB Internet connection

Oculus Quest + LINK

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII HERO (wifi) motherboard ( latest bios etc )

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2( Boot up and main program storage )

Oculus Quest + LINK system

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + CH Rudder Pro

Aircraft: Gazelle, Huey, AV-8B, A10C, Spitfire

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

Did you purchase a Link cable to enable you to use the Quest with your PC?

When you say you get a display on it, is that whilst it is connected with Link or is that the stand alone?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Did you purchase a Link cable to enable you to use the Quest with your PC?

When you say you get a display on it, is that whilst it is connected with Link or is that the stand alone?

Hi Don, I managed to get the PC /Quest LINK cable connected and the DCS window displayed and jumped into a gazelle but the display was just a windowed ( mirror ) of the PC screen with the oculus environment behind. No outside the helicopter view when moving head. As I said I think it is something I have/have not done but I am a bit overwhelmed by it all at the moment. Got it all going last night but also managed tomato myself VR Sick checking out ISS program LoL so I stopped.

Cheers for your help bud.:thumbup:

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

Hi Don, I managed to get the PC /Quest LINK cable connected and the DCS window displayed and jumped into a gazelle but the display was just a windowed ( mirror ) of the PC screen with the oculus environment behind. No outside the helicopter view when moving head. As I said I think it is something I have/have not done but I am a bit overwhelmed by it all at the moment. Got it all going last night but also managed tomato myself VR Sick checking out ISS program LoL so I stopped.

Cheers for your help bud.:thumbup:

LOL, ISS is probably the worst you can try in regards to motion sickness. That one gets me too.

Not sure what is going on this morning if it was working last night.

Make sure you have unknown sources enabled in the settings of Oculus Home.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

LOL, ISS is probably the worst you can try in regards to motion sickness. That one gets me too.

Not sure what is going on this morning if it was working last night.

Make sure you have unknown sources enabled in the settings of Oculus Home.

Hi Don, thats the sort of info/guide I am looking for. Where is the unknown sources located? I never got the full VR view when inside DCS it was like looking at a flat PC panel display within the VR environment not the full VR head tracking I was expecting as the panel stayed put and my view moved off from it around the VR room!!

Cheers

Kev

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Hi Don, thats the sort of info/guide I am looking for. Where is the unknown sources located? I never got the full VR view when inside DCS it was like looking at a flat PC panel display within the VR environment not the full VR head tracking I was expecting as the panel stayed put and my view moved off from it around the VR room!!

Cheers

Kev

First item in the Setting tab on Oculus Home desktop app - General category:

PW6stZK.jpg

Don B

PW6stZK.jpg

I will check that and get back to you mate.

cheers

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

PW6stZK.jpg

Hi Don, found that and also activated VR inside DCS, got the full screen view and promptly started feeling VR Sick again on a brief flight around the airfield in the Huey!!!:poster_oops:

I can see this taking a lot longer than first thought to conquer the VR Sick thing LoL

Have you managed to get to grips ( no pun intended ) with using Hand control within the Sim aircraft? I managed to get hold of the Collective for up and down but unable to push buttons. That was using the oculus hand controllers, I have not managed to get the hand tracking working correctly within DCS, is that a doable thing?

Cheers mate

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Tips for VR Sickness:

When you start to feel it, STOP. Don't try to push through, it only makes it worse and take longer to get your VR legs long term.

Try simpler VR Games, anything roomscale will help considerably, then move to seated (like DCS). And then do more basic stuff like straight takeoffs and landings until your brain starts being able to handle "Moving without moving". :D

It took me a couple weeks to fully get my VR legs, and even then it took awhile before I could handle FPS games (Minecraft was the *worst* for me)

Hi Don, found that and also activated VR inside DCS, got the full screen view and promptly started feeling VR Sick again on a brief flight around the airfield in the Huey!!!:poster_oops:

I can see this taking a lot longer than first thought to conquer the VR Sick thing LoL

Have you managed to get to grips ( no pun intended ) with using Hand control within the Sim aircraft? I managed to get hold of the Collective for up and down but unable to push buttons. That was using the oculus hand controllers, I have not managed to get the hand tracking working correctly within DCS, is that a doable thing?

Cheers mate

:thumbup:

Yeah took me a couple of weeks to get acclimated to VR and reduce the motion sickness.

Now it does not bother me much at all. As already mentioned take breaks as soon as you feel it coming on.

No, I prefer not to use the Touch Controllers, I have mouse functions assigned to my HOTAS and Voice Attack with Vaicom Pro for my comms.

Hand tracking is not supported in DCS. I think currently also with Oculus hand tracking is only supported in Quest stand alone, not with Linked Quest.

Also don't forget to set up VR Zoom ( both levels) and VR-Recenter in the UI Layer of DCS control mapping.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Thanks for the info guys, will continue a little bit each day:thumbup:

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU