Auto trim feature questions

r4y30n

I was reading through the 1972 and 2004 F-14A NATOPS and found a couple interesting notes about the trim system.

The '72 manual says the AFCS provides automatic mach trim compensation during transonic and supersonic flight. Currently we get a nose down shift in trim when we hit the transonic range, is mach trim not in the FM yet? Or is it there and the trim changes we see would be worse without it?

The other thing I found was a caution in the 2004 manual that when the AIM-54 pallets were installed but with less than 4 missiles loaded the trim compensation for the speed brake may overcompensate. Worst case is at low altitude between 0.7 and 0.8 M, pitch SAS off, and 4 pallets with no missiles on them. In that case, there could be an incremental 2 g nose down trim change when the speed brake is extended, with pitch SAS on this is reduced to 1 g. Either way, that's huge! Those notes are for a Cat with DFCS, I found nothing in the '72 manual regarding this issue with AFCS but that one was written before the plane was in service so it's possible the problem hadn't been discovered yet. Either way, if it's an issue with DFCS it should be at least as bad with AFCS, right? I know speed brake trim is WIP at the moment but are we eventually going to see this in the sim?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd double check if that section was in the autopilot section. I don't think the Tomcat had any automatic trim outside of autopilot.

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

The pitch moment from the breaks is now very close to where it should be, at this point it is by SME feedback mainly. DFCS and AFCS cannot be compared really or argued in the way that if one had it the other had have to have it as well.

IIRC mach trim is in, but I would have to ask Ako. To my knowledge the nose down shift is correct and would be worse without the trim compensation.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/