Multiple A2A targets - how to get off missiles

Nagilem

I've been playing around with A2A quite a bit and have been struggling with 1 v 2 (or more)engagements where I have to engage multiple targets.

So my question - how do I get multiple shots off on the first engagement? I've primarily been working on this with AIM120Cs since I don't think multiple shots is really possible with AIM7 (missile support required until impact).

Right now, I setup one target, STT that target, take the shot at ~16-20nm, notch supporting missile, until TTG, then work to find the other target after the first missile is active - which usually turns into a merge and me getting shot down because I can't find the other guy before he starts lobbing IRs at me :).

Just looking for some ideas on how to get better. I'm starting to wonder if I am missing something... Any thoughts are appreciated.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

You're doing about the best you can with the Hornet as it's currently implemented. You have to rely on the AMRAMM going activate to engage more than one target.

Tracking other targets while you're supporting your missile will be a problem as you've found out. The only ways around this are either shooting at closer range to reduce the time you're not able to use your radar, or use some other means to track targets. For example if you're shooting at two planes and one is contrailing, attack that one last since you have a good visual indicator of its position.

You can also try to use your RWR to get a rough idea of position. Take note of altitudes and speeds all any aircraft nearby before you go SST and try to estimate where they will be when you come out of radar lock.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Did you try the F-Pole maneuver?

As soon as the missile goes pitbull, brake the lock and it will be easy to find the other guy because most probably he still in the radar gimbal limits.

Notching will certainly give the chance for the other guy to be on your six.

If you are unable to splash the first guy, then turn and run away. Unless if you have a wingman.

VR HMD+JHMCS is the answer before TWS comes out...

I can engage up to 4 targets. Quite risky of course...... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

Ideally you shouldn't even bother entering a 2v1 engagement without TWS. While TWS would be ideal, the missing ability to direct the azimuth when the scan width is reduced also hampers the hornets effectiveness. Azimuth control is huge factor in trying to engage 2 fighters solo. What you should be able to do even without TWS and even using AIM-7s is fire early and F(A)-pole, to force the first one defensive. The first shot should be at a range that still threatens, but you need to drop that lock if/when the bandit beams or turns cold (even before pitbull). The missing azimuth control is important for the next step, because you want to point your radar back at where is wingman should be before pointing your nose. The decreased scan width would give you a much faster update to acquire and fire on the likely closing wingman and force him defensive. At that point you should be within critical range of the first bandit that you might be able to engage during his turn to recommit. If you catch him near the start of his turn fire and immediately break across him, so he has to turn further to get his shot off.

@blkspade - that makes sense. I know the 2v1 isn't realistic, but I also can't say it won't happen from time to time.

I guess I'll have to stretch the first shot out a bit - maybe 20nm to get bandit 1 defensive then turn on bandit 2 before I get within 15nm to aquire and get the second shot off. Not sure if the first missle will be pitbull in that time... I'll try it out and see how it goes...

Thanks all for the comments. I had a feeling that TWS would likely be the best answer. I hope that releases soon.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs