Newbie - VR how to?

Jorgensen

Hi

I've just tried dcs and f14 for the first time, and I simply can't figure out how to control in VR :-(

How does one activate buttons and handles in VR? I have the green beam light, and I can activate some buttons just by pressing them, but I can't activate any of Jesters options :(

Does anyone know of a tutorial to get started in DCS / VR?

Sorry so total newbie I know.....

One more question, in the tutorial, there is a window that pops up with an explaining text, and I can press space to go to the next stepm, but is there a way to bring it back, if i'm to slow :-( doh.

Thanks

I have Oculus Rift VR.

So you are not using the touch controlleres? I guess that’s also not really ment to be.

Setting up Jester using a button on the stick seems like a good idéa.

And do you then activate and deactivate stuff by just looking at them and press a button on the stick (also the jester menu)? - and then binding the zoom function to a button on the stick? The same thing for the communication menu, bind a key on the stick and then look and click to activate? I think that pressing the different keys on the keyboard somehow spoils the VR experience.

I am also a Newbie in DCS World, using an Oculus Rift for VR, with one Hand Controller and the Mouse to operate the Cockpit. So far so good, but I am struggling with the in Game Communication in VR. I already bought VoiceAttack and VAICOM Pro, but despite the fact, that these programs add another Level of Complexity to a Newbie User (VAICOM Pro needs a couple of additional Joystick Mappings for up to six Com Devices), without already knowing all the Phrases used in Military Flight Simulation these Programs are more or less useless for me at the Moment (What the Heck are "Darkstar" and "Crystal Palace"?). I would need the hints from the on Screen Communication Menus, but I can't see them in VR. Therefore I haven't found a good Solution for Communication in VR yet.

I am also a Newbie in DCS World, using an Oculus Rift for VR, with one Hand Controller and the Mouse to operate the Cockpit. So far so good, but I am struggling with the in Game Communication in VR. I already bought VoiceAttack and VAICOM Pro, but despite the fact, that these programs add another Level of Complexity to a Newbie User (VAICOM Pro needs a couple of additional Joystick Mappings for up to six Com Devices), without already knowing all the Phrases used in Military Flight Simulation these Programs are more or less useless for me at the Moment (What the Heck are "Darkstar" and "Crystal Palace"?). I would need the hints from the on Screen Communication Menus, but I can't see them in VR. Therefore I haven't found a good Solution for Communication in VR yet.

If you press the Comm button you should see the communication menu on right top of your cockpit (it has a fixed place and dont move with headtracking). Subtitles will be visible on the left Top also with a fixed position.

Yes, the communication menus should be visible. If not, it's probably because you've had VAICOM disable them.

Decide if you want to use VAICOM or not. To start off with, it's probably best to use the standard menus to familiarize yourself with the structure and the selections.

You don't need the F keys to interact with the communication menu. It's clickable with the mouse.

Most DCS VR pilots use a HOTAS and mouse and don't bother with the touch controllers. It's actually really easy to click the switches with the mouse in VR. I have a mouse on the right and a track ball on the left next to my throttle.

Lastly, don't lose patience. DCS's learning curve can be very steep, but it's also very rewarding. Flying in VR is the ultimate in flightsimming experience.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Ok yes, the Radio Menu is visible in VR. Haven't seen this yet, because I wanted to use Voice Attack, and therefore never used the Communications main Key ("/", or in my Case "#") while in VR.

What helped me a lot was this Page in Wikipedia about "Brevity Codes".

I never heard this Term before, but now most of the Communication Options in DCS and Voice Commands in VAICOM make Sense for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen a trackball mouse used for clicking the cockpit in VR, less hand movement involved, might be usable?

F14B

AV8B N/A

F-15C

A-10A

Black Shark 2.0

NTTR, PG

X55 Rhino

FreeTrackNOIR, .

i7 6700k, 16GB, GeForce GTX 970

"A helicopter is a collection of rotating parts going round and round and reciprocating parts going up and down - all of them trying to become random in motion."

Gaming mouse or trackball is pretty cool, you can map some functions like kneepad, chat window etc to the mouse buttons. There are two mouse cursors, one for clicking on buttons, one for clicking on menu items, I think alt-C toggles that? That's helpful to map to the mouse also. Might need to "confine mouse cursor to window," that solves some problems. Save a hat switch on your hotas for comms for when you go to realistic comms or you start using SRS. Keyboard is not un-usable in VR. ESC and function keys are easy to find. You can map stuff to the spacebar or the numpad if you want.

You're gonna have to get used to controllers, mouse, or trackball eventually. Right this minute, controllers are kinda tricky to use, so a mouse-like thing is probably the way to go. But take a look at this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861 ... way way cool

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

VIACOM does support the radios via the menu, you need to say the word "Options", and the radio menu will turn on, but you need to press the viacom radio key for the radio you want to use. Menu will pop up with that radio listed at the top, works for intercom also. Once the menu is up, say "Take X" where x is the number of function you want to communicate.

Options, Take 8, Take 2, Take 1. You just had the crew chief turn on electrical power.

Thanks for all your suggestions - I think I just need to give it some time

Jorgensen

If you select enable VR headset in the settings menu the first time I believe by default the use mouse option is unchecked so you can’t use the mouse in the sim with VR. If that’s the case for you go to settings and in the VR options check enable mouse and you will be able to use it.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV