How do I use auto throttles?

dresoccer4

There are two modes of ATC, cruise and approach. Please take the time to read about ATC cruise mode.

Thanks

Wags how many real Hornet pilots use cruise control in the Hornet? BTW with Flyby wire there should be very good approach ATC, better than the F-14.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

The F-14 does even more. Once setup right it's hands off throttle and stick. The plane will land and catch 3rd or 4th wire with zero input from the pilot.

That is ATC combined with ACLS and that is quite good if it works.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Umm, I think I understand what your meaning is, but it is misleading. It CAN be used for cruise in the Hornet. Flaps in Auto press ATC button, jet will hold current airspeed. See NATOPS manual and also every other manual made for DCS Hornet. However, it will not make speed changes automatically per a profile or pilot input by a knob. No where have I read ATC is used for approaches only for the Hornet.

That was what Flyguy was asking about. Not the F-14. He was comparing the two and asking why they couldn’t use ATC for approaches as well as auto land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ATC is designed for Approach only not cruise.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Wags how many real Hornet pilots use cruise control in the Hornet? BTW with Flyby wire there should be very good approach ATC, better than the F-14.

SUBS17 - Just a heads up and a friendly one. If you have lots of questions in regards to the real-life operations of the Hornet you should check out the Fighter Pilot Podcast. If you have already then listen to the older ones.

Almost all those questions you posted are answered in that podcast.

You can literally ask a real-life Hornet pilot (Top Gun Instructor) those questions and get an answer.

A massive wealth of high-quality information that I'm sure you will find fascinating.

All the best.

Edited by Mule

ATC is designed for Approach only not cruise.

Source please?

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

From the manual:

ATC Cruise Mode. The ATC cruise mode is engaged by pressing and releasing the ATC button on the left throttle with the flap switch in AUTO. When ATC is engaged in the cruise mode, the existing airspeed is used by the flight control computer to modulate engine thrust to maintain this existing airspeed. The existing airspeed is the airspeed being sent from the ADC to the flight control computers via the mission computers. An ADC failure inhibits the ATC cruise mode of operation. The FCC uses true airspeed from ADC via the mission computers at the time of engagement to generate a command signal. This signal is then used as a reference to generate an error signal that drives the engine mounted throttle control units. Normal disengagement is accomplished by pressing the ATC button or applying and holding force to either throttle.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well I'm suprised to hear that ATC for approach isn't implemented yet. I used it before, sure not too often, but I checked 5 min ago and I had a 3 wire.

I've always thought it is more tricky than the F-14's ATC-approach, but it works.

o.k., the Hornet is easily getting progressive with negative and positive VVI oscillation (due to a too slow throttle reaction, imho) but if you manage to get this under control you can hit the deck where you want to.

You may want to test it with landbased runways. It works.

But I'm glad to read, that it is not implemented yet, so it will eventually get even better, like Tomcat's maybe. That's good news.

here is a track of a 2 wire ATC approach. maybe some one can tell me what exactly has not been implemented? I'm not a pro simmer, so don't look at all the 100 things that are not done IRL but just for the ATC I was quite satisfied till I heard it should not be working.

(edit: P.S.: persian gulf map)

F-18C ATC 2 wire.trk

Edited by Tom Kazansky

I'm a little confused too. In Cruise mode - flaps set to auto, speed is maintained, in Approach mode with flaps > 27 degrees switch in Half or Full setting, then AOA is maintained, according to what is in the DCS Manual.

Perhaps some parts of it are not implemented yet? I'm not convinced that it isn't trying to kill me - but it does seem to at least maintain the AOA.

I'm confused too. I believe that Approach ATC is not implemented, yet there are people here who are saying it works for them.

Well, it certainly doesn't work for me, it just crashes me into the ground! It doesn't do anything.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

You have to get over the first thrust drop. After that it is pretty close to the Tomcat's ATC. Not quite as forgiving but far from not being implemented.

You're right! Thanks for that. Yes, after the scary first few seconds, and compensating for the thrust drop, it works a treat!

Feels like cheating though!

You have to get over the first thrust drop. After that it is pretty close to the Tomcat's ATC. Not quite as forgiving but far from not being implemented.

If that's the case you better have some altitude. When I switched it on the plane dove for the water. I barely saved it.

Buzz

If that's the case you better have some altitude. When I switched it on the plane dove for the water. I barely saved it.

Yes, I've got to say that now having tried ATC in carrier landings as opposed to airfields, then I'm struggling over the water. Not sure how helpful that is if it's the finished product. Good with airfields though!

Well I'm suprised to hear that ATC for approach isn't implemented yet. I used it before, sure not too often, but I checked 5 min ago and I had a 3 wire.

I've always thought it is more tricky than the F-14's ATC-approach, but it works.

o.k., the Hornet is easily getting progressive with negative and positive VVI oscillation (due to a too slow throttle reaction, imho) but if you manage to get this under control you can hit the deck where you want to.

You may want to test it with landbased runways. It works.

But I'm glad to read, that it is not implemented yet, so it will eventually get even better, like Tomcat's maybe. That's good news.

The oscillation is where the problem is, with FBW it should never drop to an unsafe speed in PA. It should hold the speed and AoA like the F-14 only quicker and better because it is FBW. And it should compensate automatically to changes in pitch and roll during PA while still holding speed and AoA and if it exceeds it then revert back once level flight is resumed. It should decouple automatically under certain conditions in flight.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Agreed. It should be easier to hold a FBW plane on speed than the Cat but the Cat seems to be close to perfect with ATC approach. So there is still some work to do for the Hornet team. But since the Hornet's ATC is able to hold an on speed approach as showed, it works. Not yet perfectly but it is there.