Heatblurs 3D sound systems in their modules?

Fri13

The new module release for me sounds like the throttle sound is always from same position. And this got me to think that I don't recall Viggen etc to have a 3D sound either on VR?

Meaning that moving throttle while having head at different positions and directions in cockpit doesn't sound to be generated at the throttle position.

In a real cockpit, doesn't the sound still sound coming from lower left, or does it echo and bounce from other directions as strongly?

It just started to feel that so many sounds overall in DCS is lacking the spatially positioned sound/separation etc...

I am now just confused as it is nice to have the sound world with tiny details but it is like the sound is directly in rear.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 1 month later...

Im not buying it till I see some progress made with the external sounds, having read the complaints I took an extensive look at the sdef files and discovered that even files saying flyby are active even when the aircraft is stationary or barely taxiing , amateurish needs sorting.

Cheers

Jafa

[sIGPIC]picture.php?albumid=1526&pictureid=9861[/sIGPIC]

The sound is horribly implemented in my honest opinion. Hopefully, they will take the time to get it right. The aircraft sounds like it moving at 350 knots all the time. No matter what the throttle position. Super unrealistic and extremely disappointing for me.

Turn off the ECS.

The new module release for me sounds like the throttle sound is always from same position. And this got me to think that I don't recall Viggen etc to have a 3D sound either on VR?

Meaning that moving throttle while having head at different positions and directions in cockpit doesn't sound to be generated at the throttle position.

In a real cockpit, doesn't the sound still sound coming from lower left, or does it echo and bounce from other directions as strongly?

It just started to feel that so many sounds overall in DCS is lacking the spatially positioned sound/separation etc...

I am now just confused as it is nice to have the sound world with tiny details but it is like the sound is directly in rear.

The throttle positional sound should emanate from the throttle itself. It does on a stereo setup. What kind of sound setup are you running?

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The sound is horribly implemented in my honest opinion. Hopefully, they will take the time to get it right. The aircraft sounds like it moving at 350 knots all the time. No matter what the throttle position. Super unrealistic and extremely disappointing for me.

Unrealistic? Compared to what plane you've flown?

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

ED claims the Hornet's sounds to be realistic and I'll take that for it. In that thing I can listen to the wind noise outside around the canopy and guesstimate my IAS based in that pretty well. Even though this is kinda limited to somewhere around 750-800 knots where it won't change pitch anymore if you pass that threshold - which needs to be corrected. But in my Tomcat I just hear the lack of that, and I guess one doesn't need to have real experience to notice that this might need some work still (which is fine for me, since we're in early access here), BTW the Hornet has a very loud ECS as well... rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

TBH going off of what Eldur said, I find the Hornet's sounds to be the most impressive as well.

But, that's only on the outside. What heatblur did in the pit is bloody amazing. It'd be nice to have the outside modeled in the same manner as the Hornet's exterior.

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peace through Superior Firepower

EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER NEED FOR LOMAC:

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html

Go take a look at any YouTube video of the Tomcat and you will see that the Tomcat sounds horrible in DCS externally. It’s by far the worst and I have honestly stop flying it for that reason. It needs to be fixed or a mod must be made. I’d love to use or try those modifications that someone was talking about in here. The hornet with the Echo 19 mod is just amazing and adds so much to it. Sadly the Tomcat is being left in the dust when it comes to any sound externally and sadly it just takes away from the sim. How ever I will say I do love the inside cockpit sounds.I’ve been trying to get Heatblur to look into fixing this or at least have me help them get it right since I do have experience being around tomcats in real life. Sadly nothing has come of it but I’ve tried and it sucks they won’t look into it. It’s just as bad as their red beacon light issue. The Tomcat never had digital beacon lights they were a slow pulsing light.

Edited by Mrjollyroger103

I like good sounds, but IMHO it is more important they got the cockpit and systems right. I don't fly from 3rd person, though I do appreciate looking around the external while on the ground.

I noticed the tail light, too. Also too dim.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I didn't know you have to have flown a plane to hear what they sound like in videos. My bad!

You don't. Those responses are always thrown out by pilots (who themselves have never flown a Tomcat) as a copout via an appeal to authority fallacy. It sucks that more rational discussion on the matter can't take place. Like Eldur said, the Hornet's internal sounds blow everything away, and help a bit with that "seat of the pants" feeling that we lack in sims.