Pitch Carets fixed 3/1/2019

Eagle7907

Hey y’all. I noticed RAZBAM fixes the pitch caret values. No need in selecting 6 for proper angle now.

For whatever reason it wasn’t in the change log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

It was in the previous one.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That’s strange, i didn’t have it before the update. Oh well.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

That’s strange, i didn’t have it before the update. Oh well.

No, they listed in the previous log, but it didn't make it, so it made it into this one and they didn't mention it... RAAAZZZ

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Oh that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

At the risk of relieving how dumb I am :prop: , how exactly does the pitch-carrot differ from the "Witch Hat"? .. and what does/did changing it affect?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

The Pitch Caret and Witch Hat are used together. The only use that I know of is during take off.

The Witch Hat (WH) is fixed to the air frame. It is that squiggly line on the HUD in VSTOL mode. The Pitch Caret (PC) is a symbol like this: > <

If you do not adjust the PC, you will see it at 14° up the pitch ladder. The goal is to get the WH into the PC to achieve the proper Angle of Attack during take off.

Changing weight, wind, temp, humidity affect the actual AOA. So we need to adjust the PC to get the proper AOA with the WH.

The VREST / STO page has much info to help determine the take off AOA. Mainly, more weight, less PC angle.

The AOA that is common in the NATOPS is 8-10°. 14° is the limit (ish). If you see 14° its time to fix it or straight fall out of the sky.

I'm not sure, but I think I saw the PC moving during landing. DO NOT use the PC during landing. WH on the horizon line, use power to adjust AOA.

Gigabyte Tech. 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, 16 Gig RAM @ 2200 Mhz, Radeon X480, Oculus Rift

The Pitch Caret and Witch Hat are used together. The only use that I know of is during take off.

The Witch Hat (WH) is fixed to the air frame. It is that squiggly line on the HUD in VSTOL mode. The Pitch Caret (PC) is a symbol like this: > <

If you do not adjust the PC, you will see it at 14° up the pitch ladder. The goal is to get the WH into the PC to achieve the proper Angle of Attack during take off.

Changing weight, wind, temp, humidity affect the actual AOA. So we need to adjust the PC to get the proper AOA with the WH.

The VREST / STO page has much info to help determine the take off AOA. Mainly, more weight, less PC angle.

The AOA that is common in the NATOPS is 8-10°. 14° is the limit (ish). If you see 14° its time to fix it or straight fall out of the sky.

I'm not sure, but I think I saw the PC moving during landing. DO NOT use the PC during landing. WH on the horizon line, use power to adjust AOA.

Hey, thanks!

So the PC is automatically set to what is in the VSTOL page, or do I have to do that by hand?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Hey, thanks!

So the PC is automatically set to what is in the VSTOL page, or do I have to do that by hand?

To set the PC:

Push the VTOL button on the left side (VTOL, NAV, AG).

On the ODU You can now set NRAS and PC.

NRAS is the speed at which You rotate the nozzles downwards during a short take off, and is dependend on aircraft weight.

It can be found in Chucks guide, page 71:

https://www.mudspike.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/DCS-AV-8B-Harrier-Guide.pdf

Nozzles are initially set to 10°.

With an aircraft weight of around 30.000 Lbs NRAS should be set to 98 kts.

Once You start accelerating, the airspeed indicator on the HUD will become boxed at 98 kts, telling You to rotate the nozzles down to 55° (55° is set via the Nozzle stop lever).

The PC caret is normally set to 14 °, but since the witch hat is depressed 8° below the horizon, the PC carets will appear at the 6° pitch ladder (1° above the 5° pitch ladder).

Remember that for a vertical take off, the nozzles has to be rotatet to 82°.

Once You make a vertical take off, Yu will put the witch hat on the horizon line i.e 82° + 8° = 90° - thats perpendicular to the ground.

Max AOA is 15°, above that You loose pitch authority, thus the PC is set to 14° (1° below max AOA). That means that You should never pitch the witch hat above the PC at speeds in the transistion range (the sped range where You transistion from hover to wingborne flight).

Edited by fjacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Many thanks. I'm going to have to pay closer attention to this. NRAS I knew, but to be perfectly honest I've only ever watched the IAS numbers and never noticed the IAS becoming boxed :)

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

The NRAS and nozzle angle that fjacobsen mentioned are partially accurate.

NRAS is dependent on aircraft weight, and nozzle angle, and outside temperature, and barometric pressure. Our VREST only gives NRAS for 60° nozzles, so the NRAS he gave for 55° isn't necessarily going to work. Just go by the NRAS given by the VREST page, and use 60° nozzles. With the update the Pitch Caret adjustment is not needed; leave it where it is.

Isn’t the 60 degree nozzle setting correct as implemented? I thought the Marine documentation states 60 degrees a lot.

NATOPS NFM-000 seems to indicate that the VREST will show 50/55/60, and the NFM-400 performance charts give 50/55/60 when calculating takeoff numbers. The VMAT-203 syllabus exclusively mentions 60, so there must have been a procedure change somewhere between those publications.

Ah okay. Thanks Nealius.

• 1 year later...

Look at all the threads discussing NRAS and pitch caret and not a single word from the devs on how to do a proper RVTO/STO/VTO after all the changes to the flight model. Not even bothered to change manual to reflect that the NRAS is now changeable.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.