[REPORTED] MFCPs on other screen blurry.

Eihort

I had the problem with my screen at the vertical.

I tried at the horizontal, it's better out of the box but the exports are still a little blurry.

So I tested all the values myself in the MDG_strokesDefs.lua

Try these :

stroke_thickness  = 0.5
stroke_fuzziness  = 0.4

-- Currently is used for DMC generated fonts black outline
DMC_outline_thickness = stroke_thickness * 1
DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 3.5
DMC_stroke_thickness  = 0.5
DMC_stroke_fuzziness  = 0.4

Crisps enough, you can use your helmet visor AND the HSI is great, even with the map !

Hey Beamscanner, since you are going to look through the LUA, MDG_strokesDefs.lua seams to be interesting. I haven't tried messing with it, but it aparently is used to control the black outlines on the DDIs symbology. One of the things I can clearly notice on the bad visual setups is an increase in the black outline. Maybe Worth messing about with, might give more interesting results than the other more used "fix".

Also noticed, and maybe this is closer to a real fix, that Common_page_defs.lua on Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\ is using some GetScale Variable to set DDI font and Symbology scale. Don't know much about coding, but maybe that can point you in the right direction.

"Common_page_defs.lua" seems promising. I tried changing

*GetScale()

to

*GetScale()/2

since my dual monitor setup doubles my vertical pixel count. (2160 instead of 1080)

All it did was make the font smaller. Its still blurry and unreadable.

ohhyb6U.jpg

I still think "Common_page_defs.lua", or even "symbology_defs.lua" which it references, are great places to keep looking.

Digital USB Setup

Hi Guppy> I just sent an email to your website requesting assistance on how you setup your digital UFC. I've been working on a modest F-18 pit and, as noted, is a WIP. See my pit below as I'm not sure it uploaded along with pm to your site. Again, I'm using Capt. Zeen's Helios Profile but, I'd prefer using your UFC rendition. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Mike "Mad Max".

20190318_192841.thumb.jpg.8190d24dde21197bf4307f4472181ce5.jpg

Sorry to burst any bubbles re vertical arrangements, but my setup is side by side and my MFDs are stuck onto a 1280x1024 monitor to the side of the main (2560x1440) display, with 414x414 MFD windows - blurry as hell on F-18 and crisp as lettuce on all other aircraft.

I have 3 main monitors but currently only use the centre one for 3d display since the side ones are lower res. 1 either side is used for Kneeboard and control displays, (and sometimes 3d if I can be bothered), with the MFD monitor off to the right of those 3. total max dims of all 4 is 7680x1440

This is more readable for me - but it doesnt seem related to scale.

stroke_thickness = 0.6 -- 0.8

stroke_fuzziness = 0.2 -- 0.5

DMC_outline_thickness = stroke_thickness * 3 -- 1

DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 1.1 -- 1.1

DMC_stroke_thickness = 0.5 -- 0.65

DMC_stroke_fuzziness = 0.2 -- 0.42

Edited by mkiii

Sorry to burst any bubbles re vertical arrangements, but my setup is side by side and my MFDs are stuck onto a 1280x1024 monitor to the side of the main (2560x1440) display, with 414x414 MFD windows - blurry as hell on F-18 and crisp as lettuce on all other aircraft.

I have 3 main monitors but currently only use the centre one for 3d display since the side ones are lower res. 1 either side is used for Kneeboard and control displays, (and sometimes 3d if I can be bothered), with the MFD monitor off to the right of those 3. total max dims of all 4 is 7680x1440

This is more readable for me - but it doesnt seem related to scale.

stroke_thickness = 0.6 -- 0.8

stroke_fuzziness = 0.2 -- 0.5

DMC_outline_thickness = stroke_thickness * 3 -- 1

DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 1.1 -- 1.1

DMC_stroke_thickness = 0.5 -- 0.65

DMC_stroke_fuzziness = 0.2 -- 0.42

I fixed mine by switching to a side by side setup. no DDI or AMPCD blur, and no mods altering the symbol stroke. Our tests clearly show a change in blur when changing monitor configuration.

It very well could be that the vertical resolution must not go beyond 1080 pixels. (ie the exported DDI symbols are somehow tied to a scale related to 1080 pixels)

Still blurry after change to side by side.

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('2_monitors_FA18C');
Description = 'Right, Left, and AMPCD in right monitor'

--TOTAL DEL VIEWPORT
Viewports =
{
    Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width  = 2560;
         height = 1440;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 16/9;
    }
}

--LEFT
LEFT_MFCD =
{
    x = 2560;
    y = 710;
    width = 370;
    height = 370;
}

--RIGHT
RIGHT_MFCD =
{
    x = 4110;
    y = 710;
    width = 370;
    height = 370;
}

--AMPCD
CENTER_MFCD =
{
    x = 4480;
    y = 0;
    width = 768;
    height = 768;
}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

2102288032_1.png.50f68b589bc206f5d7a2b9786ac4a674.png

834949969_.thumb.jpg.31b4b947330fe68cb9d1fc0347fd46cf.jpg

I7-6700K OC 4.9G, 896G SSD, 32G RAM @ 2400MHz, NH-D15 cooling system,TM Hotas Warthog,Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals,TrackIr 5, BOSE M2

I fixed mine by switching to a side by side setup. no DDI or AMPCD blur, and no mods altering the symbol stroke. Our tests clearly show a change in blur when changing monitor configuration.

It very well could be that the vertical resolution must not go beyond 1080 pixels. (ie the exported DDI symbols are somehow tied to a scale related to 1080 pixels)

Also going to chime in again. I have never used a vertical setup on mine, and as I'm the OP, I had the issue. Here is my setup, with 4k on 1, and 1024x768 on 3. 2 is to the right of 3. I have DCS resolution at 4864 x 2160 pixels (4K + the 1024, and the export lua is like the third or fourth post in the thread.

d4549de4e9.png

When I use HD, it's just 1080+1024 to get the smaller monitor on there.

• 1 month later...
Hey mkiii, is DCS using that entire resolution?

Yes - usually - although these days, I restrict the 3d view to just the central monitor to save on performance. The etxra 4th monitor that makes up the width to 7680 is there purely for instrument export & has 2xMFDs stuck on.

So my rig 1s 3xmain+1aux stacked horizontally in (windows) - not been a problem with any other module so far. This is probably due to screen aspect as set in DCS GUI options panel. That might explain why the problem with the in-cockpit displays in VR is MUCH worse, in there it is totally unreadable, but that has already been reported.

After so many issues getting multi-monitor working properly, I'm beggining to wonder if any testing is done on anything other than single 1080p monitor. I'm more or less resigned to this stuff never working 100%, but this issue SHOULD be fixable - just make the 18 use the same code as everything else.

• 2 months later...

I just upgraded

From: 1080p main screen + 1080p side screen (radar export)

To: 3440x1440p Main screen + 1080p side screen (radar export)

and the 'side by side' fix no longer works. The video DDI exports on the secondary screen are blurry again.

It seems to happen whenever Y axis resolution is greater than 1080. As 1440p vertical is only slightly more than 1080, the blurriness is only slight. When i had a vertical resolution of 2160 (two 1080p displays configured vertically) the DDIs were extremely blurry.

So this isn't an aspect ratio problem so much as it is a problem with the Y axis resolution.

I would still love to see this fixed for 4K play in general. Every time I watch someone's video in the Hornet at 1080p, I'm amazed and how clean the DDI/HUD text looks. At 4K, even when I turn down DDI/HUD brightness, the text and symbology still lacks the crisp, thin, and solid lines at 1080p. This has been around since the beginning of the Hornet (in 4K).

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Please Solve This Issue

I would still love to see this fixed for 4K play in general. Every time I watch someone's video in the Hornet at 1080p, I'm amazed and how clean the DDI/HUD text looks. At 4K, even when I turn down DDI/HUD brightness, the text and symbology still lacks the crisp, thin, and solid lines at 1080p. This has been around since the beginning of the Hornet (in 4K).

Still waiting too. 4k scaling of the avionics is poor.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

Maybe it's just me, but this problem (blurry/messy DDI symbology) seems a bit worse after today's update. Can any other 4K users verify? I use the "1024 every frame" graphics option.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• 2 weeks later...

New to using the export function and confirm I have the same blurry exports on the second monitor. No issues when flying the A-10C using the same LUA for exports. It definitely seems to be specific to the F-18C exports. Only work around I have found to work is this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3555460&postcount=117

Negative effects of this change is it does thin out your HUD graphics for one.

Beware if you switch between VR and Monitor setups without reversing the above change, it will make mfd's much more difficult to read in VR.

Wags anyway we can get a fix for this? I love using the Cougar MFDs with these exports!

:pilotfly:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bug still present and troublesome.

Since ED has declared the F/A-18C developement focus in December, I hope this issue will be addressed with priority.

Systems are not that important when the overall experience is disappointing for 4K and multimonitor users.