DCS: MiG-23MLA by RAZBAM

MrDieing

• 2 months later...

Someone wanna explain the chart. I mean i can kinda get height speed and range from it sort of but dont want to misinterpret it. Like whats the difference between the left and right side.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think x axis is range, y axis is altitude, left and right sides are hot and cold aspect launches. I don't know why there are different lines though other than some differentiation of respective velocities.

The dashed line is for when you launch on a bandit at .8 mach at the speed listed in the second row of the top left box with the solid being a launch on a M1.0 target at the speed in the top row of the chart. At least that is my current understanding of the chart. How that lines up performance wise this is what I got from cfd: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4136423&postcount=1

It literally writes that (target V)/(fighter V)=1(velocities are the same) is solid line.

(target V)/(fighter V)=0.8(Fighter is 20% faster than the target) is dashed line.

V истр мин - minimal speed of the fighter, V истр макс - maximum speed of the launching fighter

As we can see, AIM-7F has the first shot to send you defensive in a head-on. So teamwork or go home.

Edited by Кош

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder

Someone wanna explain the chart. I mean i can kinda get height speed and range from it sort of but dont want to misinterpret it. Like whats the difference between the left and right side.

Left is when you are chasing target, right is when you are head-on.

So you place targets at the same altitude and by those specific speeds as stated and you get the launch envelope when you can release a missile if target doesn't change course, altitude or speed.

Then there are own for a horizontal as "top-down" view where target angle at you is mattering factor, but there it is again given specifics (speed, altitude, vector).

For somewhat you can use these as well for alternative launch altitudes, like you fly at 15 km and target flies at 25 km, that what is minimum range in head-on, why there is that hockey stick kind curve upward.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

As for JTAC with ground laser - it was really experimental and rare.

In Soviet Union anything operational was experimental until otherwise stated... :megalol:

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well, it's not like NATO developed these things to go plinking tanks with them.

The Soviet Union probably gets a bit of a raw deal in these discussions because it frankly ceased to be in the early 90s. It's easy to forget that, while the options were there, at that time most Hornets and Tomcats and whatnot were also throwing iron bombs at their targets mostly.

Well, it's not like NATO developed these things to go plinking tanks with them.

The Soviet Union probably gets a bit of a raw deal in these discussions because it frankly ceased to be in the early 90s. It's easy to forget that, while the options were there, at that time most Hornets and Tomcats and whatnot were also throwing iron bombs at their targets mostly.

Yeah PGM's really weren't a "proven" tech in most military minds until GW1 show what they could really do. And even then stocks of PGM's were very low due to their expense. I think they burned through 70% or something like that of all PGM's in nato during GW1.

Cold war would have utilized them on both sides, but mainly for high value targets, not plinking at a tank column. Yes, planes like A10's might have had mavs (and they would be low on the list for them IMO), but they were to be used against local SAMs/ADA.

Part of the problem in DCS is that the damage model is terrible so it requires "pickle barrel" accuracy to get a kill. And "dumb" weapons like CBU's are way underpowered.

IRL you can see how effective CBU's were in GW1 on the highway of death. If it was done in DCS 90% of the units would just drive home.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yep, there was a huge change during the 90s. Roughly 10% of US aircraft during Desert Storm could carry guided weapons, which were less than 10% of the amount dropped. During Allied Force 90% of the US aircraft could carry guided munitions, and 30% of the weapons used where guided. In fact, I wonder what that percentage was for the Russian Air Force during Georgia/Ukraine/Syria.

Source: a Rand report that easily shows up on google. I won't post the link here in case 1.15 is an issue.

Edited by TLTeo

In fact, I wonder what that percentage was for the Russian Air Force during Georgia/Ukraine/Syria.

Still extremely low by US standards.

It's doctrinal, they seem to prefer to have the means to drop unguided munitions with great accuracy with hence SVP-24.

Makes sense to have the expensive stuff on the plane that can be used more than once instead of on the bomb/rocket with a one time use.

Plus you don't want to be dropping bombs with a 6 figure price tag onto second hand Toyotas

SVP-24 is a poverty thing anyway. You cannot measure wind gusts 3 km below the platform. Yes, it's a good CCIP/CCRP but not more.

It's a smart solution, and pretty cheap. Wish I can learn more about how it works and how the pilot uses it.

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

SVP-24 is a poverty thing anyway. You cannot measure wind gusts 3 km below the platform. Yes, it's a good CCIP/CCRP but not more.

Drop a big enough bomb close enough, and plus or minus a meter doesn't matter so much.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

In fact, I wonder what that percentage was for the Russian Air Force during Georgia/Ukraine/Syria.

That's easy.

Georgia - little to none

Ukraine - none as it was never bombed

Syria - most sorties are "dumb", but when a precise strike is needed they usually use guided bombs

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been asked before, this is a long thread!

Does the MiG-23 MLA as RAZBAM are developing it have datalink? I think I read somewhere it had a 2-way one with GCI and they were even able to fire its missiles from the ground.

What does BVR look like in a MiG-23? There's no radar display in the cockpit, I assume the contacts and TDC are shown on the HUD like in the MiG-29, but without the backup repeater display?

If it does have datalink, how and where would this information be displayed?

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

1) Yes, Razbam have stated that they want to simulate the Lazur datalink between GCI and fighter, but they have also said they have not figured out the details of how to do it in DCS yet

2) Yes, the HUD is used for displaying radar information.

3) I think it's some combination of the HUD and below it, but I'm not 100% sure.

It won't work with EWR or an AI for sure. Probably needs to be controlled by a human GCI, since literally what you do is give guidence commands onto a target. And even then it's kinda limited in its use in DCS for the most part - unless it always tries to home in onto the closest contact a EWR or AWACS sees. I'd personally consider the 23 a much better and capable 21 - same tactics, better results.

Apologies if this has been asked before, this is a long thread!

Does the MiG-23 MLA as RAZBAM are developing it have datalink? I think I read somewhere it had a 2-way one with GCI and they were even able to fire its missiles from the ground.

What does BVR look like in a MiG-23? There's no radar display in the cockpit, I assume the contacts and TDC are shown on the HUD like in the MiG-29, but without the backup repeater display?

If it does have datalink, how and where would this information be displayed?

Its called lazur. From what i know its not like a western DL that gives a pilot SA. Rather it provides information for a single target intercept provided by a gci ground controller. There are like 50 commands displayed on the hud.