F-105 Thunderchief

The_Pharoah

Can't believe you guys didn't pick up on this:

https://www.facebook.com/RazbamSims/photos/p.1342658872487414/1342658872487414/?type=3&theater

Oh man...I've LONGED for an F105D. That brings my dream of DCS Vietnam closer to reality, what with the Mig 19 in development, and community-built A4s/F-100s.

Definite Day 1 pre-order if it ever came to be.

• Like 1

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

lol thats okay mate. the fact that its even on there is what I'm excited about. Thanks for confirming the model as well.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Guys...this is way overboard...the F-105G is not scheduled yet..it's a picture i posted of a future project, please reffer to our roadmap for info

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You can post a Stearman Model 75 and people will still freak out.. .

on ma mobile

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Did the G retain the capability of using bombs/rockets etc like the regular 105?

technically it can according to SAC sheets, (then again so can An F-15 A and C carry bombs if you go by SAC)

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/republic/f-105thunderchief/f-105g-thunderchief-characteristics-summary-november-1972.html

but in actual reality it practically only ever carried Shrikes and AGm78s, Hence why id still rather like to have the F105D. OF the two the D was the most mass produced version and was the most defining and iconic variation of the Thud. That variation was the workhorse Strike aircraft of the Aerial war over north Vietnam. Plus second seat of the G alone will make it harder to develop and for the team to worry about backseat Ai.

Then again on the other hand the F-105D doesn't have any SEAD missiles at all ( at least according to SAC)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

My most wanted model would probably be an F-model (either with or without special modifications) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_F-105_Thunderchief#Special_modifications

F-105 F had all bombs and rockets while maintaining the SEAD capability, dual controls, and some special field-units (mentioned in the link above) had better radars with better resolution for super dangerous missions. If I remember correctly, two F-105 crews received the medal of Honor in F-105Fs

but in actual reality it practically only ever carried Shrikes and AGm78s, Hence why id still rather like to have the F105D.

That is absolutely not true. The F-105G carried bombs on a regular basis in Vietnam to destroy the SAM launchers and support vehicles.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

D model used Shrike missiles in Vietnam, there is plenty of photo and video evidence.

Huh interesting, however id surmise this must be a field mod ( and not exactly standard issue) because the F-105D manual and SAC sheet don't list the Shrike as part of armament.

Plus the Agm78 that the g has is a fair bit better. AFter all the Shrike was not a brand new design for the sead role, Its basically just a modified Aim7 missile to home in on Radiation emmited from radars.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

With so many 'Nam era aircraft already in DCS how do ED not have a Vietnam Theatre in the works?

(Yes I have seen there is a mod for 1.5)

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's a Stearman module coming? Def gonna get that! J/K Love to see a 105 any variant. Not just for Vietnam, but any 60s scenario. Spent a lot of time flying Strikefighters in the past. It'd be cool to do in DCS.

With so many 'Nam era aircraft already in DCS how do ED not have a Vietnam Theatre in the works?

(Yes I have seen there is a mod for 1.5)

Agreed. DCS is perfect to replicate the Vietnam air war....perfect. Problem is, we'll probably get everything for DCS Vietnam by 2035. My grandkids will get to play it.

• Like 1

There are no Vietnam era aircraft in DCS. These are later variants that did not participate in the conflict. Trying to use what we currently have to depict Vietnam War would be like recreating Battle of Britain with Bf-109K and Spit Mk IX.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

There are no Vietnam era aircraft in DCS. These are later variants that did not participate in the conflict. Trying to use what we currently have to depict Vietnam War would be like recreating Battle of Britain with Bf-109K and Spit Mk IX.

:wallbash:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Honestly I don't care if it's the wrong variant, if it still is the same aircraft. We are never going to get all the correct variants for aircraft for all of the scenarios we want. So better to make due with the Bf-109K vs Spitfire MkIX battle of Britain scenario, because we are never going to get a more accurate one.

Same with the Vietnam war stuff, we are never going to see a correct version of the MiG-21, Huey, and so on. But at least we have the aircraft, so lets just accept an inaccuracy in the variants and enjoy the awesome modules.

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Same with the Vietnam war stuff, we are never going to see a correct version of the MiG-21, Huey, and so on. But at least we have the aircraft, so lets just accept an inaccuracy in the variants and enjoy the awesome modules.

Well, if that's the case why the need for a dedicated map. Let's just accept an inaccuracy here and there and pretend the Caucasus is a Vietnam map. Water - check, hills - check, forests -

check, airports - check, everything fits.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Well, if that's the case why the need for a dedicated map. Let's just accept an inaccuracy here and there and pretend the Caucasus is a Vietnam map. Water - check, hills - check, forests -

Well what's your idea? The reality of the matter is that sometimes it not just possible to have this exact variant of an aircraft designed even if it is completely declassified if the developer does not have access to it. Even if said developer made the exact variant used in whatever scenario you want (lets say Vietnam), we would have to count on either the developer having access to a historical opponent with the same exact variant that it fought against for it to be historical accurate. This is all assumed that either that one developer wants to focus on a specific war/conflict and only develop aircraft for that era (assuming at least 1 year for the development and release of complete DCS modules, and probably another 1/2 year at least for gathering information and data on said aircraft from sources) for that theater that we will be fighting our aircraft in. Or we can guess that a couple of developers got together and all agreed to make exact variants of aircraft opponent in said conflicts. Oh and than someone has to make the map.

DCS is a "simulator", but in reality it is a really in depth game, and we all want a good game.

I would indeed want all of these variants, but they are never going to be made. I just think that there would be a far greater chance of getting a Vietnam map than the correct variants. :(

The sad fact is that we rarely get more than 1 variant in DCS. They don't take that much resources to make, but you can't really ask money for them either. They are, in the few cases we have, included in the original purchases.

So I would like to hope that in the future we will have all the correct variants, but currently we have to make due with wrong variants. At least we have the aircraft.

So I think we have a higher chance of getting an F-4 than a MiG-21PFM. Of course having all the correct variants would be awesome, it is sadly never going to happen. And people will prefer new aircraft anyways (in a 2 choice situation), at least I would rather have an entirely new bird to fly than a variation of something I already know.

Ok, now time to end my little stupid ramble and get back on the F-105 track. How was the radar? Was it something comparable to the Viggen or a different story? And how was the SEAD targeting done?

• Like 1

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Well what's your idea? The reality of the matter is that sometimes it not just possible to have this exact variant of an aircraft designed even if it is completely declassified if the developer does not have access to it. Even if said developer made the exact variant used in whatever scenario you want (lets say Vietnam), we would have to count on either the developer having access to a historical opponent with the same exact variant that it fought against for it to be historical accurate. This is all assumed that either that one developer wants to focus on a specific war/conflict and only develop aircraft for that era (assuming at least 1 year for the development and release of complete DCS modules, and probably another 1/2 year at least for gathering information and data on said aircraft from sources) for that theater that we will be fighting our aircraft in. Or we can guess that a couple of developers got together and all agreed to make exact variants of aircraft opponent in said conflicts. Oh and than someone has to make the map.

DCS is a "simulator", but in reality it is a really in depth game, and we all want a good game.

Nothing, just pointing out, that if you want to play fantasy war, then you don't really need Vietnam map, and if you want to play Vietnam War, then you need different aircraft and assets that are currently not present in DCS. Frankly, Vietnam era is one of the least represented periods in DCS, everything we have in game is either newer, or older.

Besides, I find it quite inconsistent, that people want meticulously crafted aircraft down to the last rivet, and then just go: "screw it, let's put MiG-21bis, F-5E and MiG-15 over Vietnam and call it a day". Those airplanes that fought in Vietnam had different performance, avionics and armament, which makes creating a plausible scenario with them next to impossible.

I'm not saying fantasy scenarios are not fun, I like to just take off and blow up some stuff, but I don't see such fantasy Vietnam a viable commercial product.

Nothing, just pointing out, that if you want to play fantasy war, then you don't really need Vietnam map, and if you want to play Vietnam War, then you need different aircraft and assets that are currently not present in DCS. Frankly, Vietnam era is one of the least represented periods in DCS, everything we have in game is either newer, or older.

Besides, I find it quite inconsistent, that people want meticulously crafted aircraft down to the last rivet, and then just go: "screw it, let's put MiG-21bis, F-5E and MiG-15 over Vietnam and call it a day". Those airplanes that fought in Vietnam had different performance, avionics and armament, which makes creating a plausible scenario with them next to impossible.

I'm not saying fantasy scenarios are not fun, I like to just take off and blow up some stuff, but I don't see such fantasy Vietnam a viable commercial product.

Almost everything "we" do as a player base is fantasy war, no matter how accurate we try to make it, it still won't be close to a real war. I came to DCS knowing that next to a full blown simulator and some other simulators that this was the best for simulating war scenarios.

"Those airplanes that fought in Vietnam had different performance, avionics and armament, which makes creating a plausible scenario with them next to impossible."

Creating a plausible scenario takes a very long time from now and other reasons I stated before.

"Fantasy Vietnam" as far as any of us know, is not in development or has been thought up of yet. This is why we would need aircraft like the F-105 and F-4 to promote the development of a Vietnam map. As said before this is a game with aircraft systems simulated. If this was real life than virtual pilots would go through hundred of hours of virtual training, there would be no more 1 ships, decisions would be made based on logic not humor, and ground and air based systems would be modeled to much higher levels and so would control over wingmen. DCS as a full game is not plausible to real life (I don't think any game is even close), but the developers are doing their best and the aircraft simulations are amazing.

Anyway a SEAD/DEAD F-105 variant would fill in an interesting role in a couple years when/if it is considered by RAZBAM.