AIM-9X

Alphamale

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are still tweaking it, but you can definately notice the higher OBS capability, and Im feeling like it is faster aswell, but that is maybe on me. Range is better aswell. HOBS should really shine with the JHMCS as you said.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

They are still tweaking it, but you can definately notice the higher OBS capability, and Im feeling like it is faster aswell, but that is maybe on me. Range is better aswell. HOBS should really shine with the JHMCS as you said.

I have noticed it was faster, but I expected it to use higher AoA to find a TGT....also, have you noticed a continuous beeping sound after you've engaged and fired missiles? It continues even after all bandits are splashed....Is it coming from friendly based AA or SAMs? Didn't see anything on the EW

Is a bug. The digital tone never goes off.

Seriously?? E_M let's not go down that path again...you get me to think it's a bug, I pull the fire alarm, and you have a fun time laughing when it's discovered it's something simple...unless you're being serious

I fired one pretty close at a target flanking hard that I most probably would not have hit with the M or L. Those X models are featuring vector thrust and are controlled via the tail fins to be more maneuverable. You might compare it to the R-73...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

has anyone noticed different behavior of the 9X compared to the 9M? Or do we need the helmet to really see the benefits?

Based on Wags' mini-update and his mention of flare rejection, it appears the (IMO) main advantage of the 9X is not yet in. In the real world, the 9X is very good at distinguishing between flares and its locked target. Dropping flares after a launch of a 9X may be very ineffective, though you can still drop flares in anticipation of a launch to prevent the lock in the first place.

Based on Wags' mini-update and his mention of flare rejection, it appears the (IMO) main advantage of the 9X is not yet in. In the real world, the 9X is very good at distinguishing between flares and its locked target. Dropping flares after a launch of a 9X may be very ineffective, though you can still drop flares in anticipation of a launch to prevent the lock in the first place.

Interesting..but can you not also lock the target in STT with, let's say, Boresight, like you can with the 9M and therefore you would have both radar lock and "heat source" lock at the same time?

Interesting..but can you not also lock the target in STT with, let's say, Boresight, like you can with the 9M and therefore you would have both radar lock and "heat source" lock at the same time?

Yes but as another has said, the STT only guides the Aim9 seeker to the target while it's still on the rail. That means even with an STT lock, the seeker may not register an IR lock unless lock parameters like distance, heat signature aspect are met. But another point is that STT alerts the enemy. Some prefer the silent method - use only IR seeker (no radar lock). I've noticed (I think) the AI is a little less likely to use flares if locked up by IR only.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Only if you uncage it, right? Otherwise, it's getting info from the launching platform...what I thought anyway

The info it gets is only directional data which the AIM-9 then uses to look in the indicated direction. The seeker head is gimbaled inside so it will physically turn its seeker to look in that direction. It then uses its own internal logic as normal to acquire a target, which may not always be what the radar is locked onto. The Sidewinder doesn't know the exact position of the target the radar is locked onto, only which direction the target is in.

And then when we get the JHMCS we'll be able to slave the seeker to our frickin HEADS!!! :).

Like we can do in the Ruskie planes :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

The info it gets is only directional data which the AIM-9 then uses to look in the indicated direction. The seeker head is gimbaled inside so it will physically turn its seeker to look in that direction. It then uses its own internal logic as normal to acquire a target, which may not always be what the radar is locked onto. The Sidewinder doesn't know the exact position of the target the radar is locked onto, only which direction the target is in.

Yes, that's what I was referring to in "info from platform" otherwise what's the point of locking if the missile never gets info, you're just alerting the aircraft you're targeting

• ED Team

9X alredy has the highest flares rejection capability in the DCS.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

The 9X is far more than just a Heat seeking Missile, if I remember correctly it also has video capability, as quiet as kept. Don't think has come full circle in the fleet so must have just been testing phase when I was in WTS/VX-9 back in the day, but as stated above, it is a nice gimbled crystal not like the 9M series and is internally cooled so days of the IR Cool switch are pretty much gone. Yes it can look behind itself, pilots used to use ground crew to track us, when it first came out it was kind of unsettling.

ASUS ROG Strix Helios Case - ASUS AM4 ROG Strix X-570E MB - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 64 GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - ASUS DualGeForce GTX 1070 - SSD 2x 1TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Home -

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster TPR Pedels - TrackIR