Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

I'll play the Devil's Advocate here a wee bit, but do we need this level of ground "bling" in what is essentially a flight sim? How much of it will you actually notice whilst zooming along at 250mph, let alone once one has some altitude?

(I noted that DCS is being described as "not just a flight sim", but let's be honest - most of us are here for the fidelity of the flight modelling and various period aircraft, rather than looking forward to driving an M4 through realistically-modelled bocage...)

I believe DCS is looking forward to expansion of The CA Module and these new maps will be detailed enough to make playable ground units and a true "DCS Battlefield"

Patrick

mini.gif

I think 2.5 is supposed to be released before the Normandy map, which will be 2.5 conform. Anything else would make no sense. So first 2.5 and then Normandy as DLC.

Only two more.... naaaa, I'm not going there :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I think 2.5 is supposed to be released before the Normandy map, which will be 2.5 conform. Anything else would make no sense. So first 2.5 and then Normandy as DLC.

Only two more.... naaaa, I'm not going there :D

Correct. 2.5 is the foundation for all new terrains under one executable going forward. Once 2.5 is released the flood gates will open, so to speak.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I think there'll be no flood once the gates are open, more like a trickle. ;)

once gates open.. it'll be a steady flow.... physics.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

so ultimately will the Normandy map literally just be Northern France and its coastline? how far down south/ south east will it go? will we have a southern tip of England included?

I mean before a proper beachhead was established, and before airfield captured/ constructed the Allies had to deploy from somewhere right? ( England). Even if one creates a scenario where you do have a beachhead plus some forward airfields it be nice to have a rear base deployments from England.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• ED Team
so ultimately will the Normandy map litteryl just be Norther france and its coastline? or will we have a southern tip of england included?

I mean before a proper beachhead was established, and before airfield captured/ constructed the Allies had to deploy from somewhere right?

This map is just after the invasion as I understand it. So with captured airfields. But the hope is it will get updates similar to NTTR with the addition to more airfields. But nothing is written in stone on that yet. ED is aware that the area proposed by the original team needs to be expanded upon. But I think to get it to us ASAP, we will start off with the landing area and inland areas from there.

More news to come on that soon I hope.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

As I understand it... DCS 2.5 is still a bit off, probably coming in 2017. But Chizh wrote something

about Normandy might get early access this year. I am a bit worried that we will end up with three separate installations (Black Sea, Nevada, Normandy). Anyone got more detailed info on this?

NTTR has the new Graphic interface, i assume we get 1.5 Black Sea and 2.0 with Normandy and NTTR.

There is no reason to make third installation, becaus NTTR is also not released and the Beta installation what was used by ED some time ago is thankfully also disbanded

• Like 1

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

As I understand it... DCS 2.5 is still a bit off, probably coming in 2017. But Chizh wrote something

about Normandy might get early access this year. I am a bit worried that we will end up with three separate installations (Black Sea, Nevada, Normandy). Anyone got more detailed info on this?

AFAIK 2.0 is already capable of having multiple maps. So like MAD-MM said:

NTTR has the new Graphic interface, i assume we get 1.5 Black Sea and 2.0 with Normandy and NTTR.

There is no reason to make third installation, becaus NTTR is also not released and the Beta installation what was used by ED some time ago is thankfully also disbanded

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If Normandy comes out before 2.5 then it will have to be in 1.5 or all hell will break loose. Perhaps it will be made available in both 1.5 and 2.0?

Or will it be beta'd in 1.5 openbeta, excluding early access for many that don't have room for a second or third installation?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

If Normandy comes out before 2.5 then it will have to be in 1.5 or all hell will break loose. Perhaps it will be made available in both 1.5 and 2.0?

Or will it be beta'd in 1.5 openbeta, excluding early access for many that don't have room for a second or third installation?

No chance. 1.5 is technically restricted to the caucasus map. That's an engine limitation.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

No chance. 1.5 is technically restricted to the caucasus map. That's an engine limitation.

Which suggests that would-be Normandy users WILL have to have a second install (v 2.0), even minus NTTR, in order to be able to use Normandy.

It has already been intimated that Normandy will be out before 2.5 which is still some way off.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Which suggests that would-be Normandy users WILL have to have a second install (v 2.0), even minus NTTR, in order to be able to use Normandy.

It has already been intimated that Normandy will be out before 2.5 which is still some way off.

Yes, a second installtion which we already have, but not a new third one.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, a second installtion which we already have, but not a new third one.

Speak for yourself. ;)

I know a few people looking forward to Normandy that don't want a second install.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

Speak for yourself. ;)

I know a few people looking forward to Normandy that don't want a second install.

I'm actually one of them ;)

I pre-orderd NTTR last year and still haven't flown there because I don't want another installation of the same game. It will probably be the same with Normandy.

But the technical limitations are still there. 1.x doesn't support multiple maps. I was hoping so much for the merge of 1.5 and 2.0 this year because of that. :(

Tornado3 small.jpg

Mates, I'm not sure like anybody is how it will be, but there are no more possible options. We already have a 2.0 install supporting NTTR map, current 1.5 doesn't support multiple maps, and 2.5 is not coming until 2017 but luckily Normandy will be available still in 2016. Obviously 2.0 install will support Normandy together with NTTR until 2.5 is released provided known schedule happens. It would be a nonsense creating a fourth installation (current, Alpha, Beta and, Alphabet? :D) just for Normandy.

As some already say, even though I don't use it quite that much, we already have the second installation so, who cares where does Normandy pop up as long as it does? If Normandy appears in 2.0 installation I would use it a lot more until 2.5 :lol: :thumbup:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

But 2.5 will have a updated map system why NTTR needs to be updated as well for 2.5, and Caucasus is upgraded for 2.5.... So why to make Normandy for 1.5 or 2.0 when very likely it is designed for the future stable version, what is 2.5?

My guess is that it goes:

NTTR waits with 2.0.

Caucasus gets re-released with 2.5 and NTTR to it, and then Normandy is tested on it.

Or if doing something crazy for hype/marketing.

NTTR stays at 2.0, Caucasus is in hold. Normandy gets released with 2.5 open beta and after 6 months NTTR and Caucasus are released to 2.5.

This way people buy Normandy to either test 2.5 or to get the new map. And when that period has gone, people come to see free Caucasus in 2.5 and get a change to buy Normandy and NTTR for all in once.

Of course Caucasus can always come with 2.5 Open Beta to generate more buzz and then release Normandy after that and NTTR between them.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• ED Team

Caucasus needs to be updated for 2.5, NTTR and new maps should be ready to go to 2.5. Once the old map is updated to 2.5 and all the new map updates are complete, then it will get to us.

But 2.5 will have a updated map system why NTTR needs to be updated as well for 2.5, and Caucasus is upgraded for 2.5.... So why to make Normandy for 1.5 or 2.0 when very likely it is designed for the future stable version, what is 2.5?

My guess is that it goes:

NTTR waits with 2.0.

Caucasus gets re-released with 2.5 and NTTR to it, and then Normandy is tested on it.

Or if doing something crazy for hype/marketing.

NTTR stays at 2.0, Caucasus is in hold. Normandy gets released with 2.5 open beta and after 6 months NTTR and Caucasus are released to 2.5.

This way people buy Normandy to either test 2.5 or to get the new map. And when that period has gone, people come to see free Caucasus in 2.5 and get a change to buy Normandy and NTTR for all in once.

Of course Caucasus can always come with 2.5 Open Beta to generate more buzz and then release Normandy after that and NTTR between them.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

i am just hoping that normandy is really on track and will be released this year. i dont really mind whether its in 1.5, 2.0 or 3.0, although as everybody else i am looking forward to have a single install ony my pc again.

i just hope that with normandy and the spit we will finally have a usable amount of online players and can also maintain the numbers. up until now with every release of a warbird, we faced a good amount of people online for a period of about 1 to 2 months. but numbers were dropping every time, and now it feels as if there are less players than back then when there was only the p51. i hope a proper map will finally help that issue.

i am just hoping that normandy is really on track and will be released this year. i dont really mind whether its in 1.5, 2.0 or 3.0, although as everybody else i am looking forward to have a single install ony my pc again.

+1

I can tolerate a Spit w/ Normandy & a major NTTR update for the year. When it was mentioned that the Caucasus map was going through a update to get it to the level of NTTR and 2.5 hinged on it I had my doubts it would make it this year. If those items mentioned can make it for 2016 to where I can enjoy them over my 2 week holiday time off then there will be some satifaction. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

i just hope that with normandy and the spit we will finally have a usable amount of online players and can also maintain the numbers. up until now with every release of a warbird, we faced a good amount of people online for a period of about 1 to 2 months. but numbers were dropping every time, and now it feels as if there are less players than back then when there was only the p51. i hope a proper map will finally help that issue.

Very much agree. Single install, Normandy map and Spitfire plus all other WWII aircraft. I hope very much that we can all come together as a community on a single one track installation to fly warbirds. Otherwise we will have an unwanted extended period of disjointed activity/lack of activity, that will further put off the potential for an inclusive customer base.

I will not mess about with multiple installations.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png