ED tell us what the idea computer is please

I’m going to be building a computer in the 6 months for dcs use mainly xp-11 secondary. I’ll be using one monitor and an Oculus Rift hmd. I’ll be using CaptoGloves and hotas setup. I would like to know the minimum, average and maximum system requirements for dcs over the next two years at a minimum. Could someone please respond with what they are designing dcs around.

I recently read where they mentioned coding for multiple cores and Vulcan api for GPU. Do we need intel I9 or will the upper tier I7 be sufficient? Also will the NVIDIA god-1080ti be adequate or do we need the 1180ti or another line of GPU processors would be the way to go. Also, how much memory both main and GPU . Im Sure others would benefit from this info. As far as I know the system requirements posted for dcs are outdated like moth other documentation. I read that ed is updating the user manual finallybut unless it’s a living document like the military tech manual system with changes released as errors and new information occurs then any printed documentation will be obsolete shortly after it’s released since ed is constantly updating and improving dcs world. Imo the best way to do it is release a new base manual with every major version update and updates quarterly after that.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

i dunno?

a computer that is designed to give people ideas?

ok ok, i'll see myself out

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Cray2 should almost run dcs at max settings ;)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

It should get better as we go with ED doing more optimizations and adding Vulkan etc, that said get the best you can afford. I can generally max everything out for (*1440P*) Oculus Rift I hit the VR preset then have all textures to high and visibility to high and PD at 1.7

If I was to build a system today, I would possibly go amd threadripper 1950x or 2700x to go better with Vulkan possibly? and wait to see when the 1180's are out.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

System requirements were updated in January with the release of 2.5

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Recommended VR systems requirements (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

As with pretty much all things computer related, the newer/faster the better. Just remember to take the bleeding edge of technology with a grain of salt, by the time you get home wire up your brand new

It should get better as we go with ED doing more optimizations and adding Vulkan etc, that said get the best you can afford. I can generally max everything out for (*1440P*) Oculus Rift I hit the VR preset then have all textures to high and visibility to high and PD at 1.7

If I was to build a system today, I would possibly go amd threadripper 1950x or 2700x to go better with Vulkan possibly? and wait to see when the 1180's are out.

I join David's view :thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Even the ED recommended system is actually on the weak side. Again, it's personal choice about what one is wiling to dial down to achieve the performance/beauty balance. And the choice of system HW will never really change. Get the highest possible spec that your budget allows.

CPU, GPU, SSD/M.2, Memory, in that order. And don't skimp on a cheap PSU. And that system will *ALWAYS* cost $2500-$3500. It's been true since the dawn of computing. No matter how much commodity computer prices come down, the gaming rig will always cost $2.5K to $3.5K.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I see they recommend i5 3+ghz cpu my laptop is a i7 not sure of the ghz atm but would I do better with the fastest i5 or a slower i7?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I have an Asus Crosshair V formula Z MB, AMD-8350 CPU, GTX-970 GPU, about 1TB of SSD's, another 5 in HDDs, and 32 GB RAM, all about 3 years old, and it runs DCS perfectly, including VR.

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MB

Intel i7-8700K 5.2 GHz delidded & lapped

Corsair H100i CPU watercooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2 80+ Platinum PSU

EVGA FTW3 watercooled GTX-1080Ti

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Two Toshiba XG5 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD's

Various SSDs and HDDs, 24 terabytes

6 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans in push/pull on CPU and GPU radiators.

Windows 10 Pro 64, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog throttle and flight stick.

I see they recommend i5 3+ghz cpu my laptop is a i7 not sure of the ghz atm but would I do better with the fastest i5 or a slower i7?

Hmmm, how much slower/faster? In general, i7's have larger L3 cache and more cores. Which typically means you can run programs faster. But DCS does have a limit on how many cores it'll run things on. I believe "it only uses 2 cores" is no longer true given the tests that's been done by users here.

Also, keep in mind that we'll eventually get Vulkan API can take advantage of additional cores. So I think i7 - in general - gives you a little more upside. But I'm talking about cpu speed that's not too different.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1