And the winner is in 2.5 !!

Mizzy

I had a few hours to kill today (not combat cos I don't fight) and decided to do a test of which aircraft was the fastest. Well, the latter is in two parts and if you read on, you will understand why. The following is the test criteria:

Missions settings same for all airfraft, just swapped them over. All clean load, full fuel etc

Aircraft tested:

Mig29s

Su27

Su24M

Viggen

Mig21

F15c

F14

Mig25

Mig31

Mission flight plan was from Krymsk to Kutaisi at 15,000.

The results were top speeds as follows:

Mig29 1022kts

Su27 994

F15 917

Viggen 917

F14 917

Su24 845

Mig21 756

Mig31 748

Mig 25 740.

Shortest range at top speed:

Mig 29

Fastest sustained top speed:

Su24

Aircraft that made it to destination:

Su24

Su27

Mig29

Mig31

Mig25

RTB after bingo fuel:

F15

F14

Mig21

Aircraft using alternate airfield:

Viggen (Landed at Sochi)

The most interesting winner was the Su24 which travelled to the destination sustaining supersonic (845kts) all the way to Kutuisi making it the winner by the shortest time to destination followed by the Su27.

So the fastest aircraft overall was the Su24M with the Mig29 having the fastest top speed. Sorry to bore the ar*s off you. Have a nice day.

Mizzy

• Like 1

DCS World offers a variety of forms of 'entertainment', not just air combat ;)

Peace

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Cool testing!

How about a test where you drive the driveable aircraft (MiG-29, Su-27, F-15, etc.), because the flight model for players is different than the one for AI?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Can you post your mission file and flight time results? I am sure there will be human pilots trying to beat them in flyable aircraft.

Also, I know you said full fuel, but does that include maximum external tanks too?

No external fuel tanks on any of the aircraft. Unfortunately I did not keep the mission, it was just faffing about as I was bored this afternoon. I did try it again and the Su 24m was the fastest aircraft in the game as it flew supersonic all the way to Kutaisi at 845kts @15,000ft. All the other aircraft used up too much fuel and either dropped to between 350 to 450kts just short of Sochi.

Something else of interest was if I swapped the aircraft from Russia to USA (the ones that could), they all returned to base when fuel was low for example the Mig21 !! If I chose the Mig21 for Russia, it completed the flight plan but throttled down when fuel was low just like the Su27 Mig31 etc. but flying for USA it returned to base ! So there must be different tactics in the AI programming for different Countries. Plus all the fighters for the USA have a top speed of 917kts in the mission I made !!!!

Mizzy

DCS World offers a variety of forms of 'entertainment', not just air combat ;)

Peace

AD

Correct, I don't fight or shoot weapons at other aircraft and never have. I use DCS for other reasons like flying around and using navigation in bad or clear weather. Also I populate the sky with aircraft flying neutral around the map. The trains are still buggered though so no train journey's just yet :-)

Mizzy

Unfortunately I did not keep the mission, it was just faffing about as I was bored this afternoon.

if you have a track file, the mission file should be saved in it, so you might take a look :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett