Operation "Blue Flag Normandy" - 24/7 WWII PvP Campaign - ROUND 1

xcom

better than not seeing anything and die imo. its not perfect but well hopefully get some nice flak puffs sooner or later

We already have some nice flak puffs, usually they just explode way behind or above you so you don't see them unless you look for them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=166336&stc=1&d=1500914442

You can even see the shells flying once they are close enough. (say hello to 40mm Bofors round :D)

attachment.php?attachmentid=166337&stc=1&d=1500914634

2142363838_DigitalCombatSimulatorBlackShark07_24.2017-19_34_12_03.thumb.png.f54fe866b49d5f4742ed6f5f82565cdf.png

1051161226_DigitalCombatSimulatorBlackShark07_24.2017-19_33_05_01.thumb.png.426a399ef2c4264198f2d9eb88d95109.png

i barely see them and i dont like them as for now. not sure if thats realistic or not but i would like them more visible/bigger. also would those bofor rounds probably have a nice tracer so the gunners could aim better? would be cool to see some tracer effects on em. if they already do excuse me :D

Edited by rogonaut

Range of Flak is 8 KM but needs line of sight in order to engage you (trees now block Line of sight ). Range may be tweaking depending on how it goes.

Its very likely you'll be engaged by multiple batteries even with an objective closed, from other nearby objectives

Flak script simulates time of flight of the shell, as well as reload time for each gun (based off of Stonehouse & Sithspawns original amazing work on that) so its not just random bursts :)

It attempts to shoot a "box" of flak around the aircraft to try to hit you.

You can mess with the Flak guns by changing heights are per this video :)

As xcom already said, as you take out units, flak from that objective will be reduced

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

;3202152']Links to the SOP and the autoexec.cfg-thingi doesnt work ... error 404 :helpsmilie:

Hey, no idea if that was fixed and now is broken again, but I too get a 404 on these :(

I havn't really bothered much with WW2 Planes in multiplayer until now, how is the balance between axis and allies? I heard the Mustang has some issues competing with its 50cals because of the damagemodelling in DCS, is that true? Is Spitfire a good match for the BF and FW?

I havn't really bothered much with WW2 Planes in multiplayer until now, how is the balance between axis and allies? I heard the Mustang has some issues competing with its 50cals because of the damagemodelling in DCS, is that true? Is Spitfire a good match for the BF and FW?

There is no "balance" in DCS WW2. This is generally a good thing if you ask me. Large periods of WW2 were far from "balanced". In most theatres, for most of the war, one side had advantages over the other.

Now, that said, there is currently a bit of a historical mis-match (I use the word "mis-match" deliberately, insetad of "inbalance") in the planeset at least.

The LW fighter variants are both of a much later operational date to the Allied ones, they are not D-Day variants. So they have some technical/ performance advantages in proportions that are not historically accurate. The question is whether or not ou think that's a big deal.

A Spit 14 would be a more suitable match as the lead RAF fighter, and the 72 inch P51 would also be more suitable. However, it's not impossible to have success with the P51 and the Spit 9 that we have now. You just have to be aware of the performance limitations vis-a-vis your opponent's machine and excercise the appropriate levels of caution (i.e. attack only with significant other advantages such as altitude, surprise, over friendly AA etc...)

Server owners/ mission makers can also add "mission balance" to compensate. Historically, the allies outnumberd the LW by around 15:1 at D-day. Even with an accurate planeset, I don't believe any mission makers are willling to go anywhere near that kind of numerical imbalance (irrespecitve of how historical it was). But given the planesets, I'd expect something like 3:1 or 4:1 to be, in principal, acceptable.

Edited by philstyle
  • Like 1

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

There is no "balance" in DCS WW2. This is generally a good thing if you ask me. Large periods of WW2 were far from "balanced". In most theatres, for most of the war, one side had advantages over the other.

Now, that said, there is currently a bit of a historical mis-match (I use the word "mis-match" deliberately, insetad of "inbalance") in the planeset at least.

The LW fighter variants are both of a much later operational date to the Allied ones, they are not D-Day variants. So they have some technical/ performance advantages in proportions that are not historically accurate. The question is whether or not ou think that's a big deal.

A Spit 14 would be a more suitable match as the lead RAF fighter, and the 72 inch P51 would also be more suitable. However, it's not impossible to have success with the P51 and the Spit 9 that we have now. You just have to be aware of the performance limitations vis-a-vis your opponent's machine and excercise the appropriate levels of caution (i.e. attack only with significant other advantages such as altitude, surprise, over friendly AA etc...)

Server owners/ mission makers can also add "mission balance" to compensate. Historically, the allies outnumberd the LW by around 15:1 at D-day. Even with an accurate planeset, I don't believe any mission makers are willling to go anywhere near that kind of numerical imbalance (irrespecitve of how historical it was). But given the planesets, I'd expect something like 3:1 or 4:1 to be, in principal, acceptable.

The world "balance" should be banned from the ED forums... :music_whistling:

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Thanks for the detailed reply:thumbup: Yeah I didn't mean to imply that planes on both both sides should be perfectly balanced against each other or something. I just think we can propably agree that when things get out of hand and one side is just constantly dominating its hardly fun for anyone involved, especially in a Multiplayer setting with persistent objectives like Blueflag.

But it seems like thats really not going to be the case, so everything should be fine!

Edited by Vivick

i think overall its still comes down to pilot skill, both mustang and spit are capable fighters with their own advantages. most of the good pilots fly for years so its no wonder u get shot down after just having a couple of flights. dont let it frustrate u, try and learn out of your mistakes and accept to be shot down by "aces", its not a shame at all. sooner or later u will have your first victories and the fun starts!

good hunting

some thoughts from (not only)my side ...

1. Id strongly reccomend to put more and different planes on the airfield

Reason: we (red side) took the first blue large airbase and then the blues havent had p51s on normandy anymore ..... i think its better to have all planetypes for all airfields (not in the same amount, but at least some .... there are still some guys who dont own all the modules, and its not fair that they have to fly that far all the time)

2. PLEASE build in a reminder when the server restarts ;) ... small map, near distances - 15min warning should be enough

3.Chippele airfield .... one of the groups(the most northern group)is standing half way in the Static tents of the airbase

4. I HATE THE FUC#### ARMED WATCHTOWERS .... just saying ;)

Edited by Schnarre [Aggro]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

;3203834']...

+1 :)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Server still down

Hmmmm since this morning the server is down ... did u encounter a missioncritical thing ?

:cry: i need my dayly AG/AA injection :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

The world "balance" should be banned from the ED forums... :music_whistling:

So what you're asking for is A-10s and F-15s vs L-39s? :huh:

Balance isn't a dirty word when talking about mission design, in fact that's its proper place. Modules get made realistically, then the mission designer balances them so both sides have an equal opportunity to win based on the strengths, weaknesses of their modules, as well as whatever balancing in mission effects the mission designer uses to help.

confirmed server still down - what should i do now? :D

@ Tirak there will never be perfect balance unless u let two planes of the same type fight it out. i think thats what standingcow ment - probably. at least thats the way i see it...

Edited by rogonaut

confirmed server still down - what should i do now? :D

@ Tirak there will never be perfect balance unless u let two planes of the same type fight it out. i think thats what standingcow ment - probably. at least thats the way i see it...

Asymmetrical balance is a concept pursued in the RTS world for decades. I don't buy the argument that you can't be balanced except by being identical. You balance factions by providing different supporting elements, weapons and things like flight times to the front and lives. Finding that balance is difficult, but well worth attempting, and not at all a dirty word to be avoided in a discussion of mission making and tweaking.

Server back up. Didn't auto login on restart for some reason but fixed now! :)

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Asymmetrical balance is a concept pursued in the RTS world for decades. I don't buy the argument that you can't be balanced except by being identical. You balance factions by providing different supporting elements, weapons and things like flight times to the front and lives. Finding that balance is difficult, but well worth attempting, and not at all a dirty word to be avoided in a discussion of mission making and tweaking.

the arguement started because someone mentioned WW 2 era planes are unbalanced.

its understandable that you wont design your mission and let 109s fight f-15s.

lets get back to blue flag:thumbup:

Blue Flag is designed (in all variants we did so far) not to be historical accurate, it is designed to be historical guided while keeping a good fight! Imbalance is fun :D

;3203834']some thoughts from (not only)my side ...

1. Id strongly reccomend to put more and different planes on the airfield

Reason: we (red side) took the first blue large airbase and then the blues havent had p51s on normandy anymore ..... i think its better to have all planetypes for all airfields (not in the same amount, but at least some .... there are still some guys who dont own all the modules, and its not fair that they have to fly that far all the time)

2. PLEASE build in a reminder when the server restarts ;) ... small map, near distances - 15min warning should be enough

3.Chippele airfield .... one of the groups(the most northern group)is standing half way in the Static tents of the airbase

1. We will add, the slots are not completed as we are in a testing phase.

2. will do.

3. will check.

4. that's why we love em! :D

Links to autoexec/SOP will be fixed once the round starts.

What is the process of capturing a airfield, city or a comms centre?

I killed all the ground targets around Isigny once and got a message saying something about helicopters needed to transport troops there. But there are no coppers in the WW II Blue Flag.

Sorry if this was already written down somewhere and I just did not find the info.

Like them armed watch towers! They lite up like candles with couple of bursts ;-)

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64