3rd unanounced helicopter speculation - Page 20 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #191
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Hrothgar View Post
As for the Tiger vs Ka-50, I think it's a bit mixed. The Tiger is much newer and has far more advanced sensors. This should give it a substantial advantage in night time attacks. However, the Ka-50 holds all the other advantages. It is faster, more agile, climbs better, has a higher service ceiling and carries 50% more anti-tank missiles with equal or greater range than anything the Tiger carries.
I think Tiger's advanced sensors would give it an advantage in all scenarios, why only at night-time? Regarding the other points, care to share some links? I mean, it's hard to compare different helicopters by reading Internet articles, but the top speed seems roughly in the same ballpark while I have my doubts that the twice as heavy Ka-50 would generally be "more agile", except perhaps in rotation response at slow speeds given its coaxial rotors, but the significance of this could be offset by the turreted gun of the Tiger depending on the scenario.

Regarding the weapons, it's a similar story (hard to compare without real life data), but e.g. Spike LR/ER or PARS-3 LR missiles give you a fire and forget capability which is a pretty significant advantage allowing you to engage multiple targets and go into hiding while the Ka-50 would have to remain exposed (plus that the Tiger's sensor array is mounted below the rotor thus significantly reducing the exposed area when searching for targets and engaging if terrain configuration allows it).
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 02-02-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #192
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
I think Tiger's advanced sensors would give it an advantage in all scenarios, why only at night-time? Regarding the other points, care to share some links? I mean, it's hard to compare different helicopters by reading Internet articles, but the top speed seems roughly in the same ballpark while I have my doubts that the twice as heavy Ka-50 would generally be "more agile", except perhaps in rotation response at slow speeds given its coaxial rotors, but the significance of this could be offset by the turreted gun of the Tiger depending on the scenario.

Regarding the weapons, it's a similar story (hard to compare without real life data), but e.g. Spike LR/ER or PARS-3 LR missiles give you a fire and forget capability which is a pretty significant advantage allowing you to engage multiple targets and go into hiding while the Ka-50 would have to remain exposed (plus that the Tiger's sensor array is mounted below the rotor thus significantly reducing the exposed area when searching for targets and engaging if terrain configuration allows it).
It depends on which variant of the Tiger you're talking. The german UHT variant for example has no gun at all (except optional gun pods), but it's optical sensors are mounted above the rotor.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #193
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
It depends on which variant of the Tiger you're talking. The german UHT variant for example has no gun at all (except optional gun pods), but it's optical sensors are mounted above the rotor.
Yes, I know, but that variant is a Cold War relic, kind of like the HAP (both variants only bought by the countries involved in the rather protracted development of the helicopter) so they would not be the optimal choice for DCSW (i.e. lacking a gun or AT missiles).
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 02-02-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #194
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I know, but that variant is a Cold War relic, kind of like the HAP (both variants only bought by the countries involved in the rather protracted development of the helicopter) so they would not be the optimal choice for DCSW (i.e. lacking a gun or AT missiles).
It has AT missiles (HOT3 and PARS 3 LR). Given that DCS scenarios are usally Cold War like scenarios (killing tanks and regular warfare) it should fit pretty well.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #195
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
It has AT missiles (HOT3 and PARS 3 LR). Given that DCS scenarios are usally Cold War like scenarios (killing tanks and regular warfare) it should fit pretty well.
Yeah, but e.g. HAD would fit that as well and much more so why choose something not even the Germans want as it is..

Last edited by Dudikoff; 02-02-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #196
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, but e.g. HAD would fit that as well and much more so why choose something not even the Germans want as it is..
That's true

Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #197
King_Hrothgar

Quote:

As said, it's mixed. I fly with my eyes outside the cockpit typically, so during the day the sensor differences are marginal anyways. Hence I think I'd favor the greater firepower of the Ka-50 unless I needed fire and forget missiles for some specific reason. The only thing that comes to mind where I would need them is if I knew I was going after an osa or tor. Those are a pain to deal with in the Ka-50, but everything else is fairly easy.
King_Hrothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:47 AM   #198
hansangb
Veteran

Man, I would kill for MH/UH60, AH64, AH1, and MH/AH-6! And please tell the Sikorsky people that DCS is *not* a game, dammit!

In the meantime, I'll buy the Gazelle just to support you guys. Best of luck.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #199
some1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post
And please tell the Sikorsky people that DCS is *not* a game, dammit!
Then they will charge them 10x for professional solution license.

Owned modules & betas: A-10C; Ka-50; P-51; FW-190D; UH-1; FC; FC2; FC3; L-39C/ZA; MiG-15bis; F-86F Sabre; Bf 109 K-4; F-5E; Mi-8MTV2; M-2000C; SA-342; MiG-21bis; C-101 Aviojet; Hawk T.1A; Spitfire IX; AJS 37; AV-8B;NTTR; PG
Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Rift CV1
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #200
AussieGhost789

If we were to get a Tiger, I'd love for it to be an ARH. The fact that it's the variant that Australia operates totally hasn't influenced my opinion