Multiplayer: Load everything BEFORE displaying 'select role' page

Lixma 06

I can only imagine what goes through the mind of a brand new DCS player trying to join a multiplayer game....

OK, select role....I'll pick an F-15....clicks a slot....no response...huh....clicks again, again, again...nothing....is my PC okay?....tries scrolling the list....nothing....tries again...nothing...oh wait, it moved a bit....tries clicking a slot....nothing....won't scroll...is the game broken?....

etc

Edited by Lixma 06

Need a little ram filling popup loading screen.;)

Zen out man...

"Having a Zen attitude means finding mindful awareness of the present moment. This will help you release yourself from stress, anxiety, frustration and anger." :D

2085518_1.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Another point on the same vain... say you are already on the server and a player spawns a new aircraft... after you recover from the 5-15 second 0-1FPS freeze you realise you are about 3 seconds away from instant death due to the freeze having happened exactly during your divebombing run. And the guy that spawned is 50NM away in a hangar opposite of where you are looking.

Please someone explain why the aircraft couldn't be loaded in smaller increments / slower to other clients especially in cases where said aircraft will have no gameplay effect on the other clients?!

I do understand not loading everything when joining since the load time would increase as more modules are added, but at least overhead it so that the menu is usable, and for crying out loud don't make it kill the framerate for the whole server when someone decided to show up.

At present the only way to avoid this is to get all players in before any flying happens, but that is impossible on open public servers

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I can only imagine what goes through the mind of a brand new DCS player trying to join a multiplayer game....

OK, select role....I'll pick an F-15....clicks a slot....no response...huh....clicks again, again, again...nothing....is my PC okay?....tries scrolling the list....nothing....tries again...nothing...oh wait, it moved a bit....tries clicking a slot....nothing....won't scroll...is the game broken?....

etc

Patience is a virtue. Pilots must have patience. Therefore, pilots must be virtuous.

:pilotfly:

etc

:thumbup: exactly what I experienced

Just a thought. Pre-load everything and think of the impact on ram requirements for a user, and then the associated noise from some users.

A good compromise would be to make it optional, such that 32GB users can say yes, 16GB users no.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just a thought. Pre-load everything and think of the impact on ram requirements for a user, and then the associated noise from some users.

A good compromise would be to make it optional, such that 32GB users can say yes, 16GB users no.

I think you missed the point.

I'm suggesting that the player not be invited to select a role until the game is capable of processing that request.

Yeah... loading campaign mission has similar behaviour too. Select campaign > click OK... nothing...

Loading screens are a must to prevent people from reseting their computers!

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I don't know what ED have done but my loading times after the last patch have significantly reduced!!! also there's a progress bar on loading now which is great. On loading into the TTI server it showed me the F10 map which I thought was a bug..but I left it and quickly I was into the role select screen. So good.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

I don't know what ED have done but my loading times after the last patch have significantly reduced!!! also there's a progress bar on loading now which is great. On loading into the TTI server it showed me the F10 map which I thought was a bug..but I left it and quickly I was into the role select screen. So good.

I play stable version of DCS and I don't see any changes on this issue yet, sry.

yep its somehow faster now which is awesome. You can see the progress at the bottom of the screen and whilst it jumps into/out of the map screen, it then loads you into the select page...I used to have to wait for another 1-2 mins before this page would work (which is when i got the black screen and had to restart the game). Now it works 100% of the time, I just select my role, click fly or briefing and then I'm in the cockpit. It still takes about 30-45 seconds to load the cockpit though (Hornet on the stennis) - I have 32gb of DDR4 ram.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super