Missile/Contrails smoke disappear too fast.

Peter5on

As the topic states, the smoke disappears too quickly, in the earlier version of dcs the contrails was visible for much longer. Now they disappear much quicker (missile smoke after about 10 seconds). In my humble opinion, the missile smoke should be visible for at least 30 seconds; it would be more realistic and should provide better visual sam launch location on the ground. I am aware of the fact that it's probably sticked to performance but, if possible, longer time of smoke visibility would be a great feature.

Although have not tried 1.5 yet, I vote for this.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Agreed. Just played the mission Smirch Hunt. When the first artillery piece unmaskes and fires you really should be able see it visably from all the smoke from the launch.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

I'm sure it varies greatly from missile to missile but the heavier sam systems definately need to linger for a long time and be visible from very far away. I heard in an interview with an ex sr71 pilot they could see sam launches from 70.000ft up

Agreed. Just played the mission Smirch Hunt. When the first artillery piece unmaskes and fires you really should be able see it visably from all the smoke from the launch.

It fires? :huh: I've played that mission quite a lot of times and never noticed it fire.. that says alot.

I am not a software developer, but I don't agree that keeping smoke in the air for a longer period of time would be a performance hog, especially now that we have EDGE.

Even in 1.2.x you can already see a lot of planes in high altitude with contrails with no impact on FPS.

Heck, you can even turn on smoke for most planes in multi (aerobatics) which is thick and stays longer, and again, no performance hit.

I agree it's much more visible now than in 1.2. But yes, contrails felt longer in 1.2.

I would also like the SAM launch smoke to be fuller and longer. Look at this FALCON clip. THIS is how it should look in my opinion. Then u stand a chance seeing it.

Mind that I think this is a smoke MOD for Falcon and not vanilla Falcon.

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Agreed 100% about the contrails. Depending on the weather contrails can really hang on for minutes at a time.

As for the missile smoke, I think the way they are now is pretty good and unlike contrails they don't form condensation in the air. It wouldn't be realistic for them to linger in the air for a long time.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The smoke looks awesome, and as far as I can tell doesn't even seem to have a big performance impact. I was disappointed with how short lived the smoke is, so it'd be great to have bigger and longer smoke trails. If it really does become a performance concern maybe it could be made optional?

• 3 years later...

Is this really the same after 3 years and with 2.5 DCS now? It feels contrails are soon gone still, which makes at least identifying/finding friendly formations a bit harder (eg. when formation flying).

The performance impact should be carefully considered before eg. giving it an option for server admins - cannot be a client side setting in MP because of balance reasons. A mod in singleplayer could be a feasible solution.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I guess this would be part of optimizing the render distance of smoke.

I would not like a slider for render time, but a better rendering system altogether that is more efficient. And then let the smoke stay realistic amount of time, depending on missile.

Agreed, though contrails in particular depend completely on environmental factors. e.g. no contrails, very short contrails (dissipate within, say, 5-10 seconds), long but eventually dissipating contrails, and finally contrails that never dissipate but eventually form clouds.

Also I think contrails should be visible from practically unlimited view distance. The farthest LOD could just be a white line for lower spec PC's. Though care must be taken to render them properly depending on weather conditions and lighting - I've seen games that render effects and aircraft dots over the clouds, meaning you can see everything you need even in full IMC

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron