Swedish Hkp 9

Skjold

As this forum is up and running again, I thought I'd continue this conversation =)

IIRC the HKP9 carried 4 TOW missiles in the mountings, and also some in the storage compartment, so that the crew could reload in the field, by themselves.

With so much knowledgeable people around, I guess this claim could be easily verified or contested =)

And if it's verified... Could it be implemented in DCS? ^^

Did my army service as Ground crew of the Hkp 9 in the 90 s

Never Heard of a crew carrying spare missiles in the cargo compartment, it was used to hold the pilots combat gear and could house a stretcher for emergency casevac.

We scurried around the outskirts of the "Battlefield" with All terrain Fuel/Ammotrucks setting up Quick farps for reloading/refueling during combat ops About 2-3 minutes for a Pair of Heloes to rearm/refuel then exit .....

• Like 1

IIRC the HKP9 carried 4 TOW missiles in the mountings, and also some in the storage compartment, so that the crew could reload in the field, by themselves.

Did my army service as Ground crew of the Hkp 9 in the 90 s

Never Heard of a crew carrying spare missiles in the cargo compartment, it was used to hold the pilots combat gear and could house a stretcher for emergency casevac.

We scurried around the outskirts of the "Battlefield" with All terrain Fuel/Ammotrucks setting up Quick farps for reloading/refueling during combat ops About 2-3 minutes for a Pair of Heloes to rearm/refuel then exit .....

I flew the Hkp9/BO105 in the anti tank role, and I'm with Deadnine: Nope, no spare TOWs in storage compartment.

First of all, equipped with 2 pilots and their gear, 4TOWs it wasnt possible to take full fuel. Standard refueling was 325kg to keep within limits( and also to be able to hover behind the trees). As Deadnine says, the FARP(TOLO in swedish) rearmed and refueled as Deadnine says. These where placed rather short flight from battlefield, and in all cases fuel got low before the TOWs. If you can remember Deadnine, we also got 'fika' from the guys at FARP. Mostly *Renklämma* and small pakets of juice :thumbup: Always appreciated during extended wargames...

Secondly, as Deadnine says, compartment was full of electronics and the pilots gears. Actually Im not that sure that you even had the space to load extra TOWs in there without the pilots gear. The TOW, if loaded, should have been in the protective casing, and its a lot bigger than the TOW missile itself.

The Helitow system in action:

I know the pilot in that clip :) (actually, the clip seems "borrowed" from my youtube)

Edited by Gunnars Driver
  • Like 1

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Cool! Then I can probably ask you about the video. Was it common to fire helitows from altitude that low? From other videos I have seen on the German Bo-105 with HOT missiles, they are usually fired right above treetop level.

Could the helitow be fired in high speed flight aswell?

This was during a demonstration firing internally in Swedish armed forces. Was supposed to take the shot in front of the audience.

Minimum allowed altitude( ie height above ground) was 4 meters ( technical safety reason). In this case nothing was ahead obsuring the target, so it was possible to fire from minimum height. I flying and of course it would look better this way.

For tactical reasons the best/safest was to hover behind trees with only the sight above the trees( actually not above but high enough to position it between some tree tops). When about to fire ascent was made to get the missile launch assembly over the trees, then immediately fire and then descend back behind the trees, with the sight unit back between the tree tops, allowing to track the missile until it hit the target. Optimally it should have been possible to descend further after the shot to be 100% invisible to the target area, and fly nap of the earth without being detected.

In the war arena you don't always get the ideal firing position, so this way of taking shots wasnt that unusual. Most important was to have some kind of nature behind the helo to mask it. Hovering with the sky as the background was a big nono, making you clearly visible for the enemy.

My memory isnt 100% clear about maximum speed when firing, but I think it was 60 or 80 knots IAS forward.

Edited by Gunnars Driver
Spelling

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

• 4 weeks later...
According to the article here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=194602 only two versions is planned, both German.

So we won't see the Swedish one anytime soon?

Swedish HKP comes way after the german versions :thumbup:

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

• 3 months later...

Got som fond memories of this chopper, didn't fly it but they sometimes practiced farp deployment in the woods close to where I grew up. On skis I used to sneak close and look at them doing landing runs in the clearings.

Now some of those clearings have been paved over for a new road..

• 1 year later...

As we see some Progress in 3D-Modeling on the Miltech FB-Site, Hopes raising again for stepping forward towards a Release of this great Bird.

For the Swedish Version, how is the Distance to the Target measured? Does it have a Rangelaser? And another Question, it seems not to have an RWR. Is this correct?

Edited by Camino

Hi Camino,

1. It's measured via Infra Red, However, the swedish Version have a Laser Switch on the Weapon Control Panel and on the Gunner's Control Switch which is not functional. Some non swedish Versions can fire Hellfires with that Sight System

2. Swedish Version doesn't have a RWR.

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

Hi Camino,

1. It's measured via Infra Red, However, the swedish Version have a Laser Switch on the Weapon Control Panel and on the Gunner's Control Switch which is not functional. Some non swedish Versions can fire Hellfires with that Sight System

2. Swedish Version doesn't have a RWR.

Exactly how is range measured via Infra Red if not by laser? I assume this might be translation issue. Most laser range finders operate in the IR region.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Exactly how is range measured via Infra Red if not by laser? I assume this might be translation issue. Most laser range finders operate in the IR region.

I did my Army service as service crew on the Hkp9 back in the 90 s ....... Not sure that the sight acually had a rangefinder.......... The whole system was built around using the helicopter from alreadyy preplanned firing positions mapped out around the battlefield they operated in. 1 company in a potential area for invasion by sea south of Stockholm , and 1 company in the area around certain rivercrossings by the finnish border....

there were never any "tankhunting"missions per se.....(Not the years i were around anyway)But i could be wrong , we did not tinker around much with the sight system.

• Like 2

I mean if you are using a TOW it doesn't explicitly need to know the range, at least if you are "in range"... If you run out of wire...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 7 months later...

Range was guestimated from map/map reading skillz.

There was no range measuring system at all, no laser range finder etc.

For pre planned firing positions, not a problem. For improvised, taking a bit margin, most often not a problem.

Knowing the approximate range was of interest for the window needed from detection/classification of a target+firing sequence. There was also other means of finding out the window needed

• 1 month later...

Swedish HKP Frontpanel texture Progress (2K preview)

HKP_Progrr_1.thumb.jpg.15f130c7c45e133ad5c3590e8f93926e.jpg

HKP_Progrr_2.thumb.jpg.fee065d4599d551e2d5d9ccd40704214.jpg

Edited by The_Fragger
  • Like 1

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)