Invisible trains in multiplayer

Bounder

Querying a bug regarding trains on Normandy map in multiplayer.

A couple of us are experiencing an issue with trains being invisible in multiplayer: the server host alone can see the train (and carriages) but any clients joining the server cannot.

I’ve put together a very basic mission to test this (see attached file). If I host I can see the train but my test partners cannot and vice versa.

Has anyone else found this with their missions? Is this a bug in multiplayer or are we doing something wrong?

Thanks.

train test 01.miz

dcs_train_01.thumb.png.517275a51d37b48a34c16f96ed2a1204.png

dcs_train_02.thumb.png.e690bfa6f8e90d58721352ef7a8c11f4.png

• Like 2

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

If I recall correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), trains in DCS are programmed like civilian traffic and clouds, i.e. they're only local machine dependent scenery fillers and they're not synchronized between users in multiplayer.

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

If I recall correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), trains in DCS are programmed like civilian traffic and clouds, i.e. they're only local machine dependent scenery fillers and they're not synchronized between users in multiplayer.

There are two "types" of trains.

1. Civilian traffic trains (in the Caucasus map these run on the base map, just like civvy traffic)

2. Placeable mission editor trains. These exist in the normandy map and "snap" to the rail lines. They are programmed in to spawn and move about on waypoints just like road vehicle units, and UNLIKE the type-1 trains above

Bounder is right. The 2nd type of trains do not show.

Even as a host, or in single player, the 2nd type of trains do not show for me at all in Normandy map.

• Like 1

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• 4 weeks later...

used to be a problem with boats like this... im curious if you spawn some speedboats will your wingmen see them the same as host? old problem may have returned?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I can confirm that boats are still an issue. We've been tearing our hair out trying to get a few of our 355th ops with moving ships working for everyone.

What seems to mostly work (after being destroyed, ships will "teleport" back to their starting position to burn but they are otherwise fine) is if no unit movement is late-triggered; all ships must be moving at mission start for all users to see them in the same position.

Sorry for the brief hijack! I haven't checked your .miz but if your train's movement is late-activated, or the train itself is late-activated by trigger, it might be worth a test to see if everyone sees it when it's moving at mission start.

Edited by feefifofum

• 2 months later...

convoy train

Hello everyone, in the mission editor I create a train with locomotive and wagon and waypoints, but they are still invisible in the game. Near the train I placed a vehicle to observe the train, in the game I see the vehicle not the train. In the mission above, in the list of countries there is the third reich, I did not find it, I made a repair of DCS, now I have the third reich but still no train. Thanks for your

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if this issue is receiving attention, probably not to important considering the other serious issues with 2.5 beta. But it is VERY FRUSTRATING

Asus ROG MAXIMUS X Formula

Intel i7- 8700K 4.8ghz

Asus GTX 2080ti OC edition

64 Gb RAM at 3200mhz

Kraken X 72 cooler

Samsung CHG90 monitor at 144 htz

DCS on M.2 drive 500 Gb

• 6 months later...

Hello, I create a mission with a train. In multiplayer, I can see my train, the other players, nothing. An explanation ? DCS Beta 2.5.3.22652

• Like 1

I7-7700 4.2Ghz/32 Go RAM

HDD 1To /7200

Nvidia RTX 2070 8Go RAM

Win10 Pro 64 on SSD 256Go

DCS on SSD 500Go NVMe

Saitek X52Pro / Palonnier Saitek Pro-Flight / Trackir 5

VR Rift S

this bug was identified by players around 6 months ago . . .

Ok, thanks for the response. It remains to wait.

• Like 1

I7-7700 4.2Ghz/32 Go RAM

HDD 1To /7200

Nvidia RTX 2070 8Go RAM

Win10 Pro 64 on SSD 256Go

DCS on SSD 500Go NVMe

Saitek X52Pro / Palonnier Saitek Pro-Flight / Trackir 5

VR Rift S

• 1 month later...

I was putting together a new mission the other day and thought it would be neat to put a train in, which I didn't know existed until I started to play around. So I put the train in this very small mission to do some testing and threw it up in multiplayer and nobody but me can see the train. Are trains not synced in multiplayer ?

• 4 months later...

So I was playing around in the mission editor trying to place a train on tracks, make it move, pass a couple of ground units at a crossing and then stop at a station.

To my surprise, here's what I discovered after the initial struggle to even make it actually appear in game:

- Although it looks pretty damn good, the train just moves along silently. There's no sound at all for it. I can understand no sounds for civilian trains in the Caucasus, but the WW2 assets module is a payware addon and it should come included with sounds for every unit it brings to the game. I'm not asking for TSW mods-like sound quality. Just a simple sound that will make it much more realistic from the ground perspective.

- It can't stop, either. Tried with a simple waypoint, a hold waypont, etc. Nothing. It literally bounces back at the last waypoint and carries on to where it originated from. How are we supposed to build missions and simulate attacking a stationary train being unloaded at a station ? For the Normandy map trains are very important targets so one would expect them to be more functional.

I've also tried the trains activated through the "Civilian traffic" option and they're even worse. Set to low it puts 3 trains on a kilometer or so of the tracks. I didn't even dare to try the highest setting but I suppose that's just going to be trains everywhere, 100 m apart.

P.S. I believe trains should also have the option to be equipped with anti aircraft guns. Maybe a separate AA carriage ?

Any plans to fix these issues ?

• Like 3

i would love to see some effects for example fuel cars hit burst in flames or steam engine hit bursting white vapor in air thast would be nice

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 1 month later...

You can place a train, wagons or locomotives as static objects one by one - if you are careful of alignment and using the linking check. We have tank cars and locos at sidings in Caen which we regularly rocket with Mustangs. They blow up and burn nicely. You can also site 37 mm around the area for more fun and games.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
So I was playing around in the mission editor trying to place a train on tracks, make it move, pass a couple of ground units at a crossing and then stop at a station.

To my surprise, here's what I discovered after the initial struggle to even make it actually appear in game:

- Although it looks pretty damn good, the train just moves along silently. There's no sound at all for it. I can understand no sounds for civilian trains in the Caucasus, but the WW2 assets module is a payware addon and it should come included with sounds for every unit it brings to the game. I'm not asking for TSW mods-like sound quality. Just a simple sound that will make it much more realistic from the ground perspective.

- It can't stop, either. Tried with a simple waypoint, a hold waypont, etc. Nothing. It literally bounces back at the last waypoint and carries on to where it originated from. How are we supposed to build missions and simulate attacking a stationary train being unloaded at a station ? For the Normandy map trains are very important targets so one would expect them to be more functional.

I've also tried the trains activated through the "Civilian traffic" option and they're even worse. Set to low it puts 3 trains on a kilometer or so of the tracks. I didn't even dare to try the highest setting but I suppose that's just going to be trains everywhere, 100 m apart.

P.S. I believe trains should also have the option to be equipped with anti aircraft guns. Maybe a separate AA carriage ?

Any plans to fix these issues ?

You can get the train to work :shocking:

I can get the train to work in all other maps I have. Nevada & Caucasus just not Normandy :mad:

Contacted support in Feb was just given the run around 26 Answers back & forth to no avail.

Opened another Ticket 5 days ago with no reply. Would be nice if ED would just admit it is broken & give us a time line of when it would be fixed.

You can get the train to work :shocking:

I can get the train to work in all other maps I have. Nevada & Caucasus just not Normandy :mad:

Contacted support in Feb was just given the run around 26 Answers back & forth to no avail.

Opened another Ticket 5 days ago with no reply. Would be nice if ED would just admit it is broken & give us a time line of when it would be fixed.

Normandy map is a nonsense. Support is all but removed under the excuse that "Ugra" media are the party responsible for the map.

Well, my T&Cs contract is with ED and TEC, not Ugra Media. I don't give a crap what Ugra does. I never ageed anything with Ugra when I bought this module.

• Like 2

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Normandy map is a nonsense. Support is all but removed under the excuse that "Ugra" media are the party responsible for the map.

Well, my T&Cs contract is with ED and TEC, not Ugra Media. I don't give a crap what Ugra does. I never ageed anything with Ugra when I bought this module.

I thought the Normandy Map was being re-worked. As is, I would never buy it.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...