Take Off in the Bf 109K-4

iFoxRomeo

Any idea of what exactly the Take Off Assistance does? Does it limit inputs etc..? Would be interested to know simply because it doesn't seem to assist at all :P Possibly this is because people playing these sims are usually already adept/experience in flying other sims . Maybe for someone truly new to flight sims it might be just what they need to get airborne?

The first time I was flying(crashing) the Dora I kept ending up as a fireball along or to the side of the runway and I couldn't figure out why. Looking to tweek my controls I noticed a Take Off assistance option at 100%, turned it to 0% and suddenly the aircraft was responding a lot better and from there I could work out what worked for my take offs.

I'm looking to pick up the 109 when it his Steam (somewhat OCD about collections lol :P) and I'm glad i noticed this thread or it could of been Fireball Dora all over again!

I had the same experience with the Fw190 - only after turning the assistance down to 0% I was able to get better and better with time. For the Bf104 I have the feeling that it will be similar ... although the "get better and better" part I am still working on, lol.

But then I had a terrible, terrible thought ... what if the "T/O assistance" is in fact not ENABLED by default ... but just the labelling is wrong? I.e what if both aircraft start with 0% T/O assistance and now we all ENABLED it!? And because of that we found it easier then?? :cry::cry::cry:

But then I had a terrible, terrible thought ... what if the "T/O assistance" is in fact not ENABLED by default ... but just the labelling is wrong? I.e what if both aircraft start with 0% T/O assistance and now we all ENABLED it!? And because of that we found it easier then?? :cry::cry::cry:

I would really prefer if there was a checkbox next to the option: If disabled, the slider will be greyed out so you can be sure that it is turned off.

Callsign "Lion"

I had the same experience with the Fw190 - only after turning the assistance down to 0% I was able to get better and better with time. For the Bf104 I have the feeling that it will be similar ... although the "get better and better" part I am still working on, lol.

no im quite sure thats not the case...i never really used take off assistance...but as some people started to say that its actually easier without it, i enabled it just to see what it does back then with the p51...if enabled=100% you will see that the plane makes small corrections on its own...this wont happen with the slider put to 0%.

so i think, if you actually dont do anything to fight the tendencies of the aircraft during take offs, take off assitance is actually helpfull.but most people will still start to fight torque, and therefore overreact i guess.or just conflict with the aircraft input itself.this will give unnatural behaviour and often end in a crash i assume...

Flagrum, I'm pretty sure your fear is not true. In the 109 I followed yoyo's instructions and held the stick to the right a bit on takeoff. The takeoff assistant added to that and so my right wing would almost drag on the ground. I ended up fighting it by holding the stick to the left, so I knew something was awry.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

my attempt, turn annotations on if their off.

• Like 1

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1) As I noted before, Prop Pitch should be at 12:00, not 12:30, so, better use Manual Prop Pitch for takeoff...

Can't make this part work.

I see my switches (Prop Pitch Selector Auto and Prop Pitch Rocker) move but the Prop Pitch stayes a 12:30.

But then i have no problems taking off with it at 12:30.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

So...

reading the Manual, English version, it all makes sense now!!!

2) ATA 1.35

Takeoff like this, and it'll be a charm!!!!

By the Book!!!!

Now I have to get proficient inflight, and in Combat, before I jump into the DoW Server and smash all of those p51d wings!!!!!

This was the key for me ATA 1.35 or so, applied(very quickly)...it seems its the way to give the rudder full authority right away, before she tends to get away from me. I use 12:30 because I am having problems with the clock, but 12:30 is fine for takeoff

I just learned that I have the best take-off results when using full throttle from the start, rudder hard right (rudder authority comes on in an instant), stick to the far right and back, and then gently adjusting it to the right center for lift-off, while constantly (and carefully) "stirring" it around to keep the left wing from tipping down.

Man, that 109 has some amazing raw power!

Edit: I also learned that the MW50 injection is on by default, so turning it off prior to taking off makes the take-off procedures a lot smoother, too. :)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Never thought about 30's Luftwaffe pilots learning to fly on gliders, but it makes sense. Good one! :thumbup:

Actually, a glider pilot license was required still during the early eighties to be able to apply for a career as a pilot in Lufthansa.

Personally I believe EVERY pilot should start in gliders, and if possible maintain proficiency in that class of aircraft along it's pilot career :)

I've been doing that for the last 34 yrs, but unfortunately ( or maybe not... ) that's the only aircraft type I fly IRL :-/

Anyway, I do not think that those long glides should be the best way to land a 109. Coming higher on final would help, and having some live tail controls using higher than idle power can also help increasing control response. I still didn't find the best way of slowing down the 109, other than, when entering the circuit, setting the prop pitch control to Manual and 09:30 or even 11:00. This lower pitch also acts as an effective airbrake at lower power settings...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Actually, a glider pilot license was required still during the early eighties to be able to apply for a career as a pilot in Lufthansa.

Personally I believe EVERY pilot should start in gliders, and if possible maintain proficiency in that class of aircraft along it's pilot career :)

I've been doing that for the last 34 yrs, but unfortunately ( or maybe not... ) that's the only aircraft type I fly IRL :-/

Anyway, I do not think that those long glides should be the best way to land a 109. Coming higher on final would help, and having some live tail controls using higher than idle power can also help increasing control response. I still didn't find the best way of slowing down the 109, other than, when entering the circuit, setting the prop pitch control to Manual and 09:30 or even 11:00. This lower pitch also acts as an effective airbrake at lower power settings...

i don't really expect anyone to have that long of a glide, I've been flying the 109 in various sims for 14 years now, was in a squad in il2fb JZG23 for a few years, they flew the 109 exclusively, and even had a real 109 pilot to teach us dead stick 3-point landings and such

that being said, i use an extremely long glide from before i get to the runway with my wheels an inch off the ground so all i have to do is wait till I'm over the runway and pull back on my stick a tiny bit, and my plane just lightly touches... no fuss, no cuss...

and about the prop pitch, well its kinda important, but with the runway as long as it is, and as tiny as the 109 is, if it really makes it that much harder for you not adjusting the pitch, go ahead, but i don't bother...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^^throttle idle and manual prop pitch to 12:30 acts like a speed brake coupled with flaps

It surely does David ;-) and it is also useful should you have to go around... That's actually the settings I am using, but I start high ( a technique life taught me in gliders... ) and even forward slip if needed...

BTW, and although out of topic, did you notice how PERFECT that deflected propwash effect is now on the p51d, and also in this superb K4 ? I will have to buy the Fw190 back at the next promotional sales :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Well some really interesting insights on this thread. I dont own the 109 (yet!) but Im gonna try turning off Take Off assistance to 0%, didnt even realize it was at 100% on default, in the P51. Maybe it will make taking off in the plane a little easier.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.