Have the Hornet devs moved back from the Viper? - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #41
BoneDust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytarabine View Post
I never get why people are so quick to criticize anyone who dares ask a question about early access particularly when there appears to be a lack of progress on key systems. If you are happy with the drip feed then great, however some people are clearly not, and I think that the release of the Viper drawing staff away from the Hornet has added to that feeling and it is only natural to ask questions.
+1

Spoiler:
Windows® 10 Home Premium | 64bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (Cores 6) (Logical/Core 2) | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | 1 X 1TB SSD | 1 X 275GB SSD | Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card | 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz | Oculus Rift S
Old 11-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #42
LastRifleRound

The Early Access promise is intentionally vague. Agreements like this made in such an ambiguous manner (give us some money now, and we promise, in a REASONABLE time frame to deliver a FEATURE FULL product) are destined for confusion. The caps are the things up for interpretation. How long is reasonable? If the Hornet is in EA for 10 years, are you ok with that? How about 5? 2? Where do you draw the line? More importantly, where do the devs draw the line? What is feature full? How many bugs or missing features are permitted to call the product "complete"?

None of these things are fully defined, and so all of the repeat questions you see in these forums are directed to these areas. It is not unreasonable to ask what's going on. We were told Hornet development would not be slowed by Viper development. That turned out to be wrong. So that means things have changed, the timelines are different, and your investment becomes ever murkier. Remember, you paid a slightly discounted rate to get into EA in contemplation of a full product. You have every right to wonder when and how that full product is delivered.

I, for one, never jump in to initial EA. It just doesn't suit me. I usually set a milestone I would like to see, then hold off until that feature is stable. For me, that DLZ's for JDAMS and SLAM-ER weapons. That will give me an accurate representation of a mission type and capability not possessed by any other DCS aircraft.

If the JF17 comes out first, I will buy that and wait for the Hornet to have AG radar modes before purchasing. It's arbitrary, but I've set the limit of what I'm comfortable with having for about a 1 yr period before the next major feature releases. Not saying you should all do what I do, but just throwing my thought process out there.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #43
Snappy

Very glad to see some of the more reasonable , balanced and sane posts above, instead of usual reflexive „It‘s EA, don‘t buy if you don‘t get it and btw you have abandoned any right to question or criticize“ quickdraw drivel.

Can only hope ED slowly gets it.

Regards,

Snappy

Last edited by Snappy; 11-08-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #44
kaoqumba

"In the future, all modules will be completed!" I have no doubt about that. Because ED is a great company! But how long do we have to wait? No one knows and can't answer. But deep down, we still want someone to answer this question. Since its release, Dahuang peak has been developing and adding new weapons and functions, but it may still take many years to complete. If time can go back to the past, I will never buy any EA stage products. Except for products close to completion like jf17 and F14, because such products, even if not updated for a long time, have high playability and rich content. Don't have to wait long
Old 11-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #45
Arctander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
Very glad to see some of the more reasonable , balanced and sane posts above, instead of usual reflexive „It‘s EA, don‘t buy if you don‘t get it and btw you have abandoned any right to question or criticize“ quickdraw drivel.

Can only hope ED slowly gets it.

Regards,

Snappy
Indeed, it appears to be a bit of a sea change where this type of reasonable, balanced and sane responses to concerns by other members of the community are now the majority, not the minority.

I also hope ED gets it, but quickly, not slowly!
Old 11-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #46
GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRifleRound View Post
The Early Access promise is intentionally vague. Agreements like this made in such an ambiguous manner (give us some money now, and we promise, in a REASONABLE time frame to deliver a FEATURE FULL product) are destined for confusion. The caps are the things up for interpretation. How long is reasonable? If the Hornet is in EA for 10 years, are you ok with that? How about 5? 2? Where do you draw the line? More importantly, where do the devs draw the line? What is feature full? How many bugs or missing features are permitted to call the product "complete"?

None of these things are fully defined, and so all of the repeat questions you see in these forums are directed to these areas. It is not unreasonable to ask what's going on. We were told Hornet development would not be slowed by Viper development. That turned out to be wrong. So that means things have changed, the timelines are different, and your investment becomes ever murkier. Remember, you paid a slightly discounted rate to get into EA in contemplation of a full product. You have every right to wonder when and how that full product is delivered.
Exactly what I've been saying from day 1. There is simply no proper regulation. Different interpretations, ambiguity, different expectations, no deadlines (even movable ones are fair enough) to drive project prioritisation and completion, etc. Those who put their full trust in EA/ED seemingly with no regard for outcome, cannot expect all other paying customers to think the same and knock them if they don't. It's the real world of transactions, not DCS world. Where money has been paid for a promised to be completed product, the owner (yes) of that product definitely has some say in these things. "But it's an EA" would have been a more reasonable excuse if a timeline with estimated dates had been given. But now it's wide open for interpretation and debate. Deadlines are not just for accountability but help drive project completion. But since there is no clarity, regulation or enforcement, buyers just have to learn from experience and decide if they want to put money down on the next EA.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #47
Airhunter

I'd be surprised if we see TWS, INS or any core system improvements to the Hornet this year.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #48
Baco

They moved on to the Cobra

Jokes a part, It is a valid concern. More defined milestones would alleviate concerns maybe.
As long as they stick to them of course...

And Yes I understand Software planning is not a precise science, still every developer outside gaming gets to stick to a certain time table.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #49
Outlaw24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhunter View Post
I'd be surprised if we see TWS, INS or any core system improvements to the Hornet this year.
I agree at the current progression rate and the up coming holidays maybe Q1, 2020.
MSI 390 Carbon Pro, i7 9700K @ 4.9, Noctua NH-U14S, 32GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Pro, MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind Pedals, UTC MK II Pro, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #50
norbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
great, everyone's a manager
Yes, even a facility manager is a manager. In Germany janitors call themselves "facility manager" lately...

Last edited by norbot; 11-08-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Closed Thread