New sounds discussion - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #21
btd
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams999 View Post
One thing I find distracting with the new in-cockpit sound is that there is a 2-second loop for me, especially noticeable when in full rpm and full boost.

It seems to be the file ExIn4.wav which is 8 seconds long but has a little variation roughly every 2 seconds...
Thanks. Please try replacing the file ExIn4.wav with this one:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wujrhw3wtj...ExIn4.wav?dl=0
btd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #22
ams999

Quote:
Originally Posted by btd View Post
Thanks. Please try replacing the file ExIn4.wav with this one:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wujrhw3wtj...ExIn4.wav?dl=0
Yes, that's much better - thank you!
Old 11-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #23
btd
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams999 View Post
Yes, that's much better - thank you!
Nice. It will appear in next updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
a) there seems to be a bit of a mid-frequency background looping noise at mid-to-high RPM and boost. The puzzling thing is, it seems to be prevalent in right channel when looking straight ahead, never in the left one. It's hard to pin down, however - I can hear it on my headphones, but I understand it might not be audible on other hardware. No such issue in the P-51.
We have some problems with panning in the sound engine in the cockpit, which we know how to solve, but unfortunately it takes a lot of time, which our main programmers don't have yet But I hope they get to that soon too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
b) low RPM and boost engine and prop samples are noticeably more quiet than the old ones, I think maybe a bit too quiet? When on the ground, with canopy closed, at between 1000 and 1300 RPM the booster pump is as loud as the engine, while switches in the cockpit are even louder! @BTD - is it how it's supposed to be? With canopy open the situation is better, although the volume is still quite low and it's not until 1500 RPM when It gets more noticeable.
The sound range is limited to 0dB. This is the main reason. In real life, we can hear the difference between loud, very loud, and "AaaAaaAa my eardrums burst I can't hear anything!!!", there are no limitations. But we have limitations in sound cards and speakers that we cannot jump through.

And to show the huge difference between idle and maximum, we have to lower the idle volume. Despite the fact that the idle mode seems quiet, the difference between it and the maximum should be 2 or even more times higher than it is in DCS. This is a very difficult balance.
So we make a believable sound. And you can reduce the volume of the switches in the audio settings (it seems to me that this feature has not yet been included in the beta, but it will be soon)

Last edited by btd; 11-01-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #24
grafspee

Quote:
Despite the fact that the idle mode seems quiet, the difference between it and the maximum should be 2 or even more times higher than it is in DCS. This is a very difficult balance.
So we make a believable sound. And you can reduce the volume of the switches in the audio settings (it seems to me that this feature has not yet been included in the beta, but it will be soon)
That what i thought. Idle is quiet to show how much louder is max power.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #25
bozflyer

I have just tried a flight with SPitfire after the last update, the sounds have improved a lot in the cockpit and on the outside from the static view but on the contrary if you stand outside and watch a replay like "aishow style" through the external view "F3", as the plane moves away from you you hear the roar of a jet plane !!!!
what the **** ???

Please fix it and it's ridiculous to say the least !!!
bozflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #26
kotor633

Quote:
The sound in the cockpit is based on the sounds we recorded from a real spitfire IX cockpit. it sounds exactly as implemented.

But then you did a really good job. If that's the real sound of a Spitfire IX, sorry, but it does not get any better! I can not understand that there are some here again, the moan and moan again!
kotor633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #27
DD_Fenrir

Congratulations BTD. Any issues I had with the Spitfire sounds - which weren't many and mainly limited to externals - are gone.

Aside from some of the limitations inherent to the medium, and the tweaks you've already made and await the next update, I would say that most importantly you have most successfully captured the flavour of the 60-series Merlin Spitfire - I particularly like the almost whip-crack like change in tone of the high speed fly-by, and the phasing of the lower frequencies as the aircraft recedes which was missing in the earlier versions.

Thanks for your hard work.

Now to try out the Pony!
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #28
btd
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozflyer View Post
I have just tried a flight with SPitfire after the last update, the sounds have improved a lot in the cockpit and on the outside from the static view but on the contrary if you stand outside and watch a replay like "aishow style" through the external view "F3", as the plane moves away from you you hear the roar of a jet plane !!!!
what the **** ???

Please fix it and it's ridiculous to say the least !!!
Sorry, but I think you use some of sound mods or maybe you don't have the last beta update. Maybe try to repair your dcs version. There are no jet sounds in spitfire now
Old 11-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #29
btd
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
Thanks for your hard work.

Now to try out the Pony!
Many thanks Glad to read it )
It is quite difficult to find the time to edit the "old" modules. A lot of work with different errors, tasks and new modules. But I think that when such an opportunity appears again, I will remake German planes first. They were made much earlier, and for a long time requires rework
Old 11-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #30
Catseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
Sounds are really important to me, and I think it's a big improvement. I'm happy that ED spent time and energy on this. Great job, and thank you!
+1

Sewing machine is no more!
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote