So ummm what are the differences between this and the new Version? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
Cowboy10uk

Default So ummm what are the differences between this and the new Version?

Hi guys, just wondering with the new pre order that’s just com won’t, what exactly are the differences between this version are the new one that went on pre order today, and is it worth getting both the if you already own this version?

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot
Cowboy10uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Ala13_ManOWar

A8 is the base model for D9. A8 featured a radial BMW engine while D9 wears a Jumo 211A inline inverted v engine. As BMW engines lost power quickly past 6000m they sought an interim version (while even more powerful models were researched and built) with the inline engine resulting in the Jumo powered D9. The A model should be anyway powerful enough at low levels, not so high powered as D model is though.

A models featured 4 wing mounted cannons while in D9 it was reduced to 2. Also A8 model, and derivative F8 which is also released together with A8, had a wider capacity for ground attack weaponry. As well as A model could be loaded with underwings pods or had the outer 20mm wing cannons substituted with 30mm ones (seen in the model of the trailer video).

As the Jumo powered D model had to be lengthened there are probably unique quirks for the A model with regard to handling in the FM. As is obvious featuring lower highest speed in altitude (~650 Km/H ~6500m IIRC).

S!

Last edited by Ala13_ManOWar; 05-17-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
msalama
Veteran

The A (or, rather, the F, which we're getting too I've understood) is good for reprobates such as myself who want to sneak in and tune up all the poor bastards on the ground never expecting us to show up, then retreat full throttle on 100ft AGL. Gentlemanly? No. Sporting? No. Just being a barstage, and that suits me just fine

Last edited by msalama; 05-17-2019 at 07:47 PM.
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Cowboy10uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
A8 is the base model for D9. A8 featured a radial BMW engine while D9 wears a Jumo 211A inline inverted v engine. As BMW engines lost power quickly past 6000m they sought an interim version (while even more powerful models were researched and built) with the inline engine resulting in the Jumo powered D9. The A model should be anyway powerful enough at low levels, not so high powered as D model is though.

A models featured 4 wing mounted cannons while in D9 it was reduced to 2. Also A8 model, and derivative F8 which is also released together with A8, had a wider capacity for ground attack weaponry. As well as A model could be loaded with underwings pods or had the outer 20mm wing cannons substituted with 30mm ones (seen in the model of the trailer video).

As the Jumo powered D model had to be lengthened there are probably unique quirks for the A model with regard to handling in the FM. As is obvious featuring lower highest speed in altitude (~650 Km/H ~6500m IIRC).

S!

Thankyou for that, so in a nutshell, The A8 is a ground attack version of the D9 that we currently have, or at least more suitable for ground attack than the D9.

Appreciate that’s probably a very over simplistic way of looking at it, but that’s certainly the impression I’m taking from your very in depth description of the differences.

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot
Old 05-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy10uk View Post
Thankyou for that, so in a nutshell, The A8 is a ground attack version of the D9 that we currently have, or at least more suitable for ground attack than the D9.

Appreciate that’s probably a very over simplistic way of looking at it, but that’s certainly the impression I’m taking from your very in depth description of the differences.
Nope, A8 is the fighter and interceptor though with wider ground capacities than D9 anyway (or D9 had reduced capacities better said), while F8 (also named A8/U3 depending on where it was produced-modified) is the dedicated ground attack version with even more options for assault and a bit armour for the purpose.

I mean, in development schedule, A module predated D and D9 prototype was based on a modified A8 and that's why D0 pre-production models were followed by D9 (the next to 8 if that makes sense). A8 is an early 1944 model, D9 a mid 1944 model.

S!

Last edited by Ala13_ManOWar; 05-17-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
Cowboy10uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
Nope, A8 is the fighter and interceptor though with wider ground capacities than D9 anyway (or D9 had reduced capacities better said), while F8 (also named A8/U3 depending on where it was produced-modified) is the dedicated ground attack version with even more options for assault and a bit armour for the purpose.

I mean, in development schedule, A module predated D and D9 prototype was based on a modified A8 and that's why D0 pre-production models were followed by D9 (the next to 8 if that makes sense). A8 is an early 1944 model, D9 a mid 1944 model.

S!
thanks for that. Some great info there. Think I understand now.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:36 AM   #7
streakeagle

The A8 is heavier than the A5 and therefore is slower, has lower climb rates, and has lower turn rates. I would have much preferred an A5 over an A8. The A5 is a contemporary of the Spitfire Mk IX. The D9 is a true 1944 class fighter. But for people who aren't obsessed with air superiority, the A8/F8 offers a 1944 version of the A series that is much better suited for fighter-bomber operations rather than dogfighting Spitfires.

But performance charts of speed and climb rate vs altitude tell two stories:

1) the A5 is equal or better than the A8 at everything at any altitude, though the increased power of the A8 causes a few overlaps of equal speed capability despite the weight gain, but climb rate/acceleration is markedly inferior across the board.

2) the D9 smokes both the A5 and A8. Flying the A8 when the D9 is available is like flying the P-40 when the P-51 is available.

Fly what you like, just accept that some aircraft are completely outclassed when faced with a late-war order of battle. I just pre-ordered the A8, but I will probably fly it much less than the D9 in the same way that I fly the F-15C far more than the A-10C. I enjoy air superiority missions/dog fighting and therefore prefer to fly aircraft that are either focused on that mission or put an interesting spin on that mission (the AJS-37 comes to mind).
Old 05-19-2019, 04:42 AM   #8
streakeagle

Default Speed and Climb Charts for A8 vs D9

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChartFw190A8Fw190D9Climb.png
Views:	1058
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	210388   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChartFw190A8Fw190D9Speed.png
Views:	1097
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	210389  
Old 05-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
2) the D9 smokes both the A5 and A8. Flying the A8 when the D9 is available is like flying the P-40 when the P-51 is available.
Aaaaannnnnddd that's what happens when you get the good stuff first .

S!
Old 05-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
msalama
Veteran

What good stuff? As a dedicated groundpounder, am more than happy to get the F model now(ish) while waiting for the Mossie to drop.