P51 not fun due to so many problems. - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #41
zhukov032186

Snapage, that's fine, any missing/broken stuff should of course be fixed. Goes without saying. My comment was more general in reference to the very common notion that Mustangs were the bees knees when in reality they were effective but not terribly outstanding in any given category but range and good looks.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #42
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapage View Post
I am not asking for a faster P51D, I am expressing why I am finding it to be
no fun to fly. I would be happy with the WEP being usable without engine failure and the guns to be effective vs the german planes when shooting them from behind.

It is very frustrating when german planes can absorb so much fire from behind and escape while your engine is taken out immediately from one burst from the german planes.

I have most of the aircraft, I fly all of them so I am not interested in one being better then everything else. But the P51D is very frustrating.

I can tell when I am going too fast in the other planes, just not the P51D. I can also crash land in the other planes without the pilot dieing. I can also reliably shoot down enemy aircraft with the other planes. Just not the P51D, its guns dont do much from behind.
There are a lot of video of P-51 online that do not match your description of this plane. For example:

https://youtu.be/sWgYJX6lCcQ

P-51 guns are a bit different thing in comparison to German. They are wing mounted, and the best pattern is 200-350 m distance. If the target is closer or farther you have to remember how the projectile fly actually.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:21 AM   #43
Catseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
There are a lot of video of P-51 online that do not match your description of this plane. For example:

P-51 guns are a bit different thing in comparison to German. They are wing mounted, and the best pattern is 200-350 m distance. If the target is closer or farther you have to remember how the projectile fly actually.
I can't recall if this has been commented on before but . . . my understanding of the ammunition used in the P-51 was primarily armor piercing incendiary (API) - is this the ammunition modelled? It can make a big difference if it is only modelled as AP only. Especially for the new damage model upcoming.

Thanks,
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:31 AM   #44
Sniper175

always blows my mind how literally the same people complain about the same thing. P51 is as dominant as your understanding and skill set of the airframe allows. Blown engines in wep? Never had that issue. May i suggest folks work on airmanship and gunfighting....
Old 11-05-2019, 02:44 AM   #45
Snapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post

Yeah, you can shoot them down while shooting at them from above or the side but they seem almost invulnerable from behind when running away. The only way to shoot the 109 down from behind seems to be by shooting the tail enough so that it comes off completely. Even from the side and top you need to hit the engine, get a pilot kill or shoot them enough in the same place to make that part come off completely, like a wing or the tail. It's not unusual to see a conga line of P51s shooting and chasing a smoking 109 back to their base. It's also not unusual to shoot up a 109 to the point that they are smoking and have them continue to fight, shoot someone down and then fly back to base.

The P51D on the other hand loses its engine, even bursts into flames when hit from directly behind from other aircraft.

Last edited by Snapage; 11-05-2019 at 02:59 AM.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:08 AM   #46
Magic Zach

Quote:
Yeah, you can shoot them down while shooting at them from above or the side but they seem almost invulnerable from behind when running away. The only way to shoot the 109 down from behind seems to be by shooting the tail enough so that it comes off completely. Even from the side and top you need to hit the engine, get a pilot kill or shoot them enough in the same place to make that part come off completely, like a wing or the tail.

The P51D on the other loses its engine, even bursts into flames when hit from directly behind from other aircraft.
This isn't so much a Mustang issue as it is a damage model issue, which is widely known to be lacking. Of course, there is a revamp in progress
Old 11-05-2019, 05:26 AM   #47
Snapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper175 View Post
always blows my mind how literally the same people complain about the same thing. P51 is as dominant as your understanding and skill set of the airframe allows. Blown engines in wep? Never had that issue. May i suggest folks work on airmanship and gunfighting....
Do you fly often? What is your name in DCS? Do you fly the P51D much? Do you fly multiplayer? You talk as if you know better then everyone but I don't recognise your name.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #48
grafspee

Quote:
Do you fly often? What is your name in DCS? Do you fly the P51D much? Do you fly multiplayer? You talk as if you know better then everyone but I don't recognise your name.
Oh, i know why is that, most ppl dont fly p-51 even less fly MP,but when they read about wep problem, they will jump in to quick mission engage wep check it for 2-3 minutes(what are they talking about everything is fine!!) then quickly exit sesion, after this they come back and say i have never ever blow engine in p-51.
I have my engine blown numerous times(no it wasn't too high temp, i wil ltell you that in p-51 you can exceed coolant temp with no harm to the engine i did it couple of times but ppl who flies p-51 regulary should know that and they should not bring temps in the first place as reason for engine jamm after using wep), right now i engage wep only when i see my airfield and i am sure that i will glide back if engine jamm.

Last edited by grafspee; 11-05-2019 at 07:41 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #49
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
I can't recall if this has been commented on before but . . . my understanding of the ammunition used in the P-51 was primarily armor piercing incendiary (API) - is this the ammunition modelled? It can make a big difference if it is only modelled as AP only. Especially for the new damage model upcoming.

Thanks,
Yes, the new model incorporates armour plates and the effect of the armour penetration is calculated. The old one bullets have less differencies.
Anyway, the real effect of the bullets is noticable less except they hit critical zones.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #50
Eviscerador

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Oh, i know why is that, most ppl dont fly p-51 even less fly MP,but when they read about wep problem, they will jump in to quick mission engage wep check it for 2-3 minutes(what are they talking about everything is fine!!) then quickly exit sesion, after this they come back and say i have never ever blow engine in p-51.
I have my engine blown numerous times(no it wasn't too high temp, i wil ltell you that in p-51 you can exceed coolant temp with no harm to the engine i did it couple of times but ppl who flies p-51 regulary should know that and they should not bring temps in the first place as reason for engine jamm after using wep), right now i engage wep only when i see my airfield and i am sure that i will glide back if engine jamm.
I use WEP in 1 hour long flights. No problems so far as long as you don't surpass 5 min active time and you nurse your temps. Maybe I'm lucky, dunno.