Yet another warthog slew upgrade

Deltaalphalima1

If you're thinking of buying a Warthog you can't do better than BH Photo. I've bought two from them lately with the last one being delivered yesterday. Both have the new slew. It's on sale and they give free 2 day shipping. Good company to do business with.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743173-REG/Thrustmaster_2960720_Hotas_Warthog_Flight_Stick.html

The only other change I notice is the 3 position toggle switch on the side of the throttle grip for the lights seems to be a better quality with more solid clicks. I'm not sure when that change took place.

edit....I just noticed the sale ends today.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

I have had the slew upgrade installed for about 6 weeks, all went fine and worked perfectly. I installed the new firmware for the thumbstick  last week  which also worked fine or so I thought until I found that the hat switch on the right hand side of the throttle was going crazy as were all the switches on the right hand side of The throttle. When I checked with the Windows game controller it showed that when I used the hat switch all the other hat switch buttons were lighting up. The other switches, China hat etc would also light up other button positions. Reinstalled the firmware, reset the calibration in the window cal app and then recalibrate with the drumstick recap app. Still no joy. As a last resort I used the Windows calibration tool and bingo all buttons and hat switches are working again. I know it says never to use the Windows calibration tool so I'm wondering if I've mucked something up and if I need to do anything to get it working with the thrustmaster calibration.

13 hours ago, Gogsie59 said:

I have had the slew upgrade installed for about 6 weeks, all went fine and worked perfectly. I installed the new firmware for the thumbstick  last week  which also worked fine or so I thought until I found that the hat switch on the right hand side of the throttle was going crazy as were all the switches on the right hand side of The throttle. When I checked with the Windows game controller it showed that when I used the hat switch all the other hat switch buttons were lighting up. The other switches, China hat etc would also light up other button positions. Reinstalled the firmware, reset the calibration in the window cal app and then recalibrate with the drumstick recap app. Still no joy. As a last resort I used the Windows calibration tool and bingo all buttons and hat switches are working again. I know it says never to use the Windows calibration tool so I'm wondering if I've mucked something up and if I need to do anything to get it working with the thrustmaster calibration.

There is no massive issue with using the windows calibration, it's just that it can override the native Thrustmaster cal, which can cause other issues and doesn’t give best performance.
The windows cal is also specify to one computer, where the Thrustmaster cal is stored on the throttle so is portable between computers.

I believe the windows calibration reset can be bugged in some circumstances, which might have happened after you update the firmware. By running the windows cal you may have essentially just manually reset it. If it’s working how you like it now, I wouldn’t worry about it.

If you have another computer you can connect the throttle to and test that might be good to try. If you connect it to anther pc and it works fine, you’re definitely good to go.

• Like 1

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

Just received mine in the mail today,  Thanks Delta :drinks_cheers:

This is such a huge improvement (100%) over the stock nipple. 

The install and calibration were easy thanks to the detailed instructions and helpful files found on your web site.  

Edited by MVS-Viper
  • Like 1

Image36.jpg

On 1/10/2023 at 11:16 AM, Deltaalphalima1 said:

There is no massive issue with using the windows calibration, it's just that it can override the native Thrustmaster cal, which can cause other issues and doesn’t give best performance.
The windows cal is also specify to one computer, where the Thrustmaster cal is stored on the throttle so is portable between computers.

I believe the windows calibration reset can be bugged in some circumstances, which might have happened after you update the firmware. By running the windows cal you may have essentially just manually reset it. If it’s working how you like it now, I wouldn’t worry about it.

If you have another computer you can connect the throttle to and test that might be good to try. If you connect it to anther pc and it works fine, you’re definitely good to go.

Thanks, yes it's working flawlessly at the moment. Slew is brilliant now and chuffed with it.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:08 PM, Deltaalphalima1 said:

Thrustmaster Warthog Slew Upgrade kits are now available to purchase ....

Any news about delivery issue (international)?

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 1/18/2023 at 9:40 PM, YoYo said:

Any news about delivery issue (international)?

Issues at Royal Mail have caused lots of delays in the last two weeks, we haven’t been able to dispatch any international orders since January 12, and most items we sent even from January 5th seem to have been caught up in the delays.

Things do seem to be improving in the last few days, the latest update from Royal Mail, Saturday 21st is:

"We have now resumed international export despatches for all mail streams including parcels and letters across a growing number of international destinations. We are making good progress in despatching items that are already in our network across all of our services. Please note you may see less tracking information than usual as we continue to restore our services. At this time, we continue to ask customers not to submit new parcels for export, and we will update further on service resumption as soon as possible."

Hopefully they will allow us to send new parcel again soon.

Thank you very much to everyone who has waited patiently for their orders over the last few weeks!

• Like 3

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 4:08 PM, Deltaalphalima1 said:

Thrustmaster Warthog Slew Upgrade ....

Next happy user. I recived all units, mounted on my TH Warthog (circle extension, works better for me). Thank You @Deltaalphalima1!

No any big issue during installation and calibartion (I advice to use in th final DeltaSim firmaware for SlewStick, works better). I didnt install TH firmware again, I have 23 number so no any problems.

JOY4nSM.jpg

5Jbo6lq.jpg

Just one thing - I have not Warthog stick but Hornet. Target (I use profiles for each module) shows me Warthog after installation and didnt recognize Hornet stick.

So I unplugged it (to solve this issue), installed the TH drivers again, plugged stick (to USB), and now is fine.

dTm7PR9.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 1:44 AM, tobalt said:

@Deltaalphalima1 Is it ok to submit an order for shipping to the US?

Yes not a problem, we ship regularly to the US. Shipping is £9 for standard untracked, or £12 for tracked shipping. Delivered by USPS.

• 1 month later...

Hi @Deltaalphalima1, I really want to upgrade my Warthog TDC slew, I got 2 questions:

1) How long will it be shipped to Canada if I place my order now?

2) I saw your previous post about a force-operated joystick: http://www.daco.co.uk/modular-controllers/force-joysticks/force-joystick-design, do you have any plan to add this type of slew in the future product? 

Thanks again! 

17 hours ago, mason.zh said:

Hi @Deltaalphalima1, I really want to upgrade my Warthog TDC slew, I got 2 questions:

1) How long will it be shipped to Canada if I place my order now?

2) I saw your previous post about a force-operated joystick: http://www.daco.co.uk/modular-controllers/force-joysticks/force-joystick-design, do you have any plan to add this type of slew in the future product? 

Thanks again! 

Our Warthog slew upgrades are in stock, so if you order now it will ship within 2 working days. Shipping time to Canada is around 1-3 weeks, depending how enthusiastic customs are feeling - so hopefully would be with you by mid-May.

I can’t say much, but the short answer is yes, I do very much have plans for a new force sensor. Hopefully there will be something to show in the next few months 🙂

4 hours ago, Deltaalphalima1 said:

Our Warthog slew upgrades are in stock, so if you order now it will ship within 2 working days. Shipping time to Canada is around 1-3 weeks, depending how enthusiastic customs are feeling - so hopefully would be with you by mid-May.

I can’t say much, but the short answer is yes, I do very much have plans for a new force sensor. Hopefully there will be something to show in the next few months 🙂

Thank you! I still deciding either should I purchase the slew upgrades now or wait for a bit for the future force sensor version. Another question is, I've heard the TM actually upgrade their newly shipped Warthog throttle to have a new kind of slew (Since 2021 I believe), what's the difference between your slew upgrades with the newly stocked Warthog slew?  

19 hours ago, mason.zh said:

Thank you! I still deciding either should I purchase the slew upgrades now or wait for a bit for the future force sensor version. Another question is, I've heard the TM actually upgrade their newly shipped Warthog throttle to have a new kind of slew (Since 2021 I believe), what's the difference between your slew upgrades with the newly stocked Warthog slew?  

Yes for the last year or so new throttles have been shipping with an updated slew as standard.

It is quite similar to my upgrade, using a similar Xbox style Thumbstick. There some picture of the new slew a few posts back, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/170423-yet-another-warthog-slew-upgrade/page/61/#comment-5111623

If your throttle has the new slew already, there probably isn’t much point upgrading to mine. I have had a few customers say they still prefer my upgrade over the new Thrustmaster part, since it uses a slightly higher quality sensor and other parts, but it is definitely less of an upgrade compared to replacing the original nub.

Once our new force sensor is finally ready, that will be a considerable upgrade to everything else available, but will be more expensive.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 4:48 AM, Deltaalphalima1 said:

Once our new force sensor is finally ready, that will be a considerable upgrade to everything else available, but will be more expensive.

That's great news! My throttle has the old-style crappy slew, I will wait for your force sensor upgrade! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there. I'm looking on doing this mod myself and bought a mini joystick (for the XboX 360) and a Pro Mini 3.3V, but then I thought of something. I don't like very much the touch and feel of the joystick, it's very tough and bulky, and also it has too big of an angle when fully extended (though I guess you don't need the full extension). But then I thought, is the slew pushbutton ever needed/used? It's not even mapped in the DCS. So maybe I could use one of these joysticks instead, couldn't I?

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32980616037.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.2a60194dRJ0PUV&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp 

I've used one of these to build an Apache TEDAC and works very well.

Edited by Assamita

On 5/15/2023 at 6:24 PM, Assamita said:

Hey there. I'm looking on doing this mod myself and bought a mini joystick (for the XboX 360) and a Pro Mini 3.3V, but then I thought of something. I don't like very much the touch and feel of the joystick, it's very tough and bulky, and also it has too big of an angle when fully extended (though I guess you don't need the full extension). But then I thought, is the slew pushbutton ever needed/used? It's not even mapped in the DCS. So maybe I could use one of these joysticks instead, couldn't I?

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32980616037.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.2a60194dRJ0PUV&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp 

I've used one of these to build an Apache TEDAC and works very well.

Yes that should work, anything with two potentiometers should be fine electrically. The pushbutton is not required, and not used in the warthog most of the time - but it is a nice to have to assign to some other function.

• Like 1

After months of working flawlessly, all of a sudden, the slew no longer works. Just stopped reading the x and y inputs while the pushdown tdc works fine. Anyone have any idea what may be the problem or has anyone experienced this and have a solution? thanks.

8 hours ago, kingsnake11 said:

After months of working flawlessly, all of a sudden, the slew no longer works. Just stopped reading the x and y inputs while the pushdown tdc works fine. Anyone have any idea what may be the problem or has anyone experienced this and have a solution? thanks.

That's weird, because I was going to ask @Deltaalphalima1 about the DIY solution I'm working on, which has a joystick that works with a sketch that reads it's values as expected (I don't have a pushbutton), but doesn't when I load the sketch he uploaded in the instructables page. Don't know what could be wrong. This is my setup:

IMG_20230518_085509.jpg

In the sketch, I've only changed the analog pins, because I'm using A0 and A1, and he has 3 and 4 (not sure, which analog ports are those in the Pro Mini).

There must be something wrong either in the sketch, or the connection to the warthog's board. The VCC and GND can't be as the board turns on as expected, and the SDA and SCL pins, which are 2 and 3 in the connector (following his numbering in the instructables) connected to A4 and A5 in the Pro Mini.

Now if you say that the deltasim has also stopped working, maybe there was some kind of update in the warthog's driver or something?

Unfortunately, I cut the wires from the original one, so I can put it back to test it, but I don't think it would also have stopped working, it would be a mass failure among all TM Warthog users.

Edited by Assamita

10 hours ago, kingsnake11 said:

Sorry to hear that, the most common thing that causes a problem like this is if the 5-pin cable and connector to the new slew sensor have worked loose, and are no longer making a good connection.

I would recommend opening the throttle grip and disconnecting the cable from the new sensor, and then swapping the ends of the cable around, so the end that was connect to the throttle is now connected to the sensor and vice versa, that will make sure all the connections have been re-seated.

You might need to run the calibration tool again after you have done this, before the sensor will start working again.

If that doesn’t fix it if you can send me an email or message I can walk you through some more steps.

2 hours ago, Assamita said:

That's weird, because I was going to ask @Deltaalphalima1 about the DIY solution I'm working on, which has a joystick that works with a sketch that reads it's values as expected (I don't have a pushbutton), but doesn't when I load the sketch he uploaded in the instructables page. Don't know what could be wrong. This is my setup:

In the sketch, I've only changed the analog pins, because I'm using A0 and A1, and he has 3 and 4 (not sure, which analog ports are those in the Pro Mini).

There must be something wrong either in the sketch, or the connection to the warthog's board. The VCC and GND can't be as the board turns on as expected, and the SDA and SCL pins, which are 2 and 3 in the connector (following his numbering in the instructables) connected to A4 and A5 in the Pro Mini.

Now if you say that the deltasim has also stopped working, maybe there was some kind of update in the warthog's driver or something?

Unfortunately, I cut the wires from the original one, so I can put it back to test it, but I don't think it would also have stopped working, it would be a mass failure among all TM Warthog users.

I don’t think it is some universal problem, I think it is probably something wrong with your Arduino setup 🙂

The Instructables sketch does work, but I last tested it on an uno board. It’s been a while since I did anything with a pro mini, but I am always suspicious of the i2c port and the wire library when moving between boards. My first troubleshooting step would probably be to confirm the wire library is working with the A4 and A5 ports on the pro mini like it is supposed to, do you and an oscilloscope or other known good i2c sensor you can connect?

25 minutes ago, Deltaalphalima1 said:

I don’t think it is some universal problem, I think it is probably something wrong with your Arduino setup 🙂

The Instructables sketch does work, but I last tested it on an uno board. It’s been a while since I did anything with a pro mini, but I am always suspicious of the i2c port and the wire library when moving between boards. My first troubleshooting step would probably be to confirm the wire library is working with the A4 and A5 ports on the pro mini like it is supposed to, do you and an oscilloscope or other known good i2c sensor you can connect?

I can use another Arduino to try to read it. I'll try that next. I do not have an oscilloscope, and I don't even know if I knew what to do with it anyway. Thanks

On 5/18/2023 at 2:51 AM, Deltaalphalima1 said:

Sorry to hear that, the most common thing that causes a problem like this is if the 5-pin cable and connector to the new slew sensor have worked loose, and are no longer making a good connection.

I would recommend opening the throttle grip and disconnecting the cable from the new sensor, and then swapping the ends of the cable around, so the end that was connect to the throttle is now connected to the sensor and vice versa, that will make sure all the connections have been re-seated.

You might need to run the calibration tool again after you have done this, before the sensor will start working again.

If that doesn’t fix it if you can send me an email or message I can walk you through some more steps.

I swapped the cable ends, checked to make sure that the connections were seated properly, re-calibrated the throttle, and the problem remains. The tdc button press is working but the slew axis are not.  Thank you for your suggestion. I also checked with a continuity meter the resistance in the cable wires and found none indicating that there is a good connection between the ends of the cable. I'll email you and thanks for helping.