IMPORTANT: AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE!

Wags

@Gman as it stands right now, after 4 days of being offline you will be unable to use any paid module in single player until you reconnect to the internet. There was a very spirited discussion about this which you can find archived in the "Payment and Activation" forum if you'd like more information.

Per ED team, the "phone home" timetable is under review.

Edited by feefifofum

For me still not working :)

Same here . Someting weird happened to me this morning. After many attemps yesterday i do not know why but this mornig the harrier was inot disabled. As i did not have launched previously my TIR 5 i shut down the game and start it again. The harrier was never available again. I think the new protection is the problem and only hope it will be solved rapidly.:helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

| I9 9900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO] |16 GB DDR4 HyperX 3466 MHz | SSD EVO 840 1 TB | MSI 2080TI GAMING X TRIO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560 X 1440 | TRACK IR 5 | THERMALTAKE CORE X9 | HOTAS WARTHOG |MFG CROSSWIND|

I recognise that you guys want (and benefit from) copy protection.

However, I have two concerns:

1) If I get AV-8B my DCS install will require four (4) DRM systems:

- I have to install starforce protected Black Shark (so I can upgrade to Black Shark 2).

- I have to install A-10C from steam so that DCS will pick up that I have the license.

- I'll have my other DCS modules and their keys (managed directly by ED).

- I'll have the new AV-8 system.

This is really unwieldy... is there any way we could have a single DRM scheme and be able to move all of our licenses onto that single scheme?

2) How often will it have to connect to the internet?

I very much value the ability to run offline. This is important in many parts of Canada as internet connections can be highly unreliable or even non-existent. If regular checks on a reliable/fast connection are required I may opt to not get the module.

I've heard it is checking every four days... is there any option to offer an alternative (e.g. DVD or dongle based authentication) to allow it to be run off-line?

• ED Team

1) the move to the new DRM is meant to streamline all the hoops we currently go through with what you listed. Tying it to our login is a good thing in the long run.

2) You need to connect to the internet every 3 days (right now under review)

2a) Dont make Canada look like a backwoods hick country now, I happen to have a kick ass connection right hear outside of Vancouver. Every country has weak spots, including Canada, but its not that common, I would guess most of the population is within decent coverage.

2b) they are looking at many options, I hope to hear something soonish.

I recognise that you guys want (and benefit from) copy protection.

However, I have two concerns:

1) If I get AV-8B my DCS install will require four (4) DRM systems:

- I have to install starforce protected Black Shark (so I can upgrade to Black Shark 2).

- I have to install A-10C from steam so that DCS will pick up that I have the license.

- I'll have my other DCS modules and their keys (managed directly by ED).

- I'll have the new AV-8 system.

This is really unwieldy... is there any way we could have a single DRM scheme and be able to move all of our licenses onto that single scheme?

2) How often will it have to connect to the internet?

I very much value the ability to run offline. This is important in many parts of Canada as internet connections can be highly unreliable or even non-existent. If regular checks on a reliable/fast connection are required I may opt to not get the module.

I've heard it is checking every four days... is there any option to offer an alternative (e.g. DVD or dongle based authentication) to allow it to be run off-line?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

1) the move to the new DRM is meant to streamline all the hoops we currently go through with what you listed. Tying it to our login is a good thing in the long run.

2) You need to connect to the internet every 3 days (right now under review)

2a) Dont make Canada look like a backwoods hick country now, I happen to have a kick ass connection right hear outside of Vancouver. Every country has weak spots, including Canada, but its not that common, I would guess most of the population is within decent coverage.

2b) they are looking at many options, I hope to hear something soonish.

One thing Sir:

Canada is a Backwoods country... just because the majority of the well off population is clustered in a handful of cities with excellent connectivity doesn't change that.

Considering that my mother is from a fly-in community, and many of my friends have irregular (or slow and expensive) access I find it extremely insulting to have their experience dismissed entirely. You are the one using the word hick and treating their access to the product as being dismiss-able.

Honestly, if this is the case then I think I'm out (and I've been a fan/follower of ED since 1995)!

• Like 1

• ED Team

ED will do there best for a balanced solution, but they certainly cant take into account for every specific situation. As for Canada, we can agree to disagree, Canada is made up of many different communities, to say they are all "backwoods" is wrong.

One thing Sir:

Canada is a Backwoods country... just because the majority of the well off population is clustered in a handful of cities with excellent connectivity doesn't change that.

Considering that my mother is from a fly-in community, and many of my friends have irregular (or slow and expensive) access I find it extremely insulting to have their experience dismissed entirely. You are the one using the word hick and treating their access to the product as being dismiss-able.

Honestly, if this is the case then I think I'm out (and I've been a fan/follower of ED since 1995)!

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

offer an alternative (e.g. DVD or dongle based authentication) to allow it to be run off-line?

THIS seems like an attractive supplemental solution. Many folks won't need it, but those who go offline for long enough or otherwise have unstable/unpredictable connections can use this. Maybe a single dongle or some other USB/hardware key for all modules (which would be updated when activating) might be more cost effective if feasible?

I don't mind the "phone home" process but . . . . I would rather have it so that it only stops running the program if the user name/pw is linked to the computer hardware.

So, if on a sign in perhaps 6 months later there will be no issue running off-line or online during sign in periods. Should another copy phone home with different hardware within that time, or any time - it terminates execution of the program and advises to checkin personally to register the new Hardware linked to the pw. Only one cpu/mb at a time permitted.

Good job overall guys!

IMPORTANT: AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE!

Dear all,

With the release of the AV-8B today, it is import to know that this will be the first DCS World product that uses our new protection system. Rather than use StarForce keys, we are moving to a “keyless” system which binds your purchase to your http://www.dcs-world.com username, and NOT a key. You will not need a constant internet connection either. The new system will just “phone home” after a three day period or the next time you log into DCS World.

This new system will also provide benefits for Steam users and Gifting. Once those details are worked out, we look forward to sharing them with you.

We strongly believe that this will make protection of your DCS World products much more simple. At a later point, we hope to apply this same protection system to all of our other modules.

Also, the AV-8B release today is for the Open Beta version of DCS World. Please make sure you use this version and that you update it today.

We must release all new aircraft modules on the Caucasus map first as not everyone may operate one of the DCS 2.1 maps. We don't believe it fair to force customers to purchase one of these maps to fly their new aircraft. We do though plan to update DCS 2.1 for the AV-8B in the next one to two weeks.

Thanks,

The Eagle Dynamics Team

Ill buy it just for this.

I also wish all the old Starforce crap was removed from older titles and replaced with something like this. I get so sick of entering 12 keys every time a screw up my PC :mad::cry:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I bought the AV8 at Steam because i had some funds left there. Now i use the standalone version of DCS. Where can i find the key? Or how can i transfer it over?

Maybe this helps:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/500/#3303126

Beste regards,

Stefan, HereThen

| I7 8700K 4.7 Ghz | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 | Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q | TrackIR5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR | Steelseries Apex PRO | Steelseries Aerox 3 | Steelseries Arctis WL Pro | MonsterTech table clamps |